Roof trim detached partially

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Roof trim detached partially

Postby teK-- » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:48 am

I have just noticed on the passenger side roof trim it has become untucked from the rubber weatherstrip that runs along the door opening. I wouldn't be too fussed except the fabric which is attached to the foam backing appears to be fraying; I don't want the area to start unravelling like a wood jumper!

It looks like the whole roof trim may have shifted slightly towards the driver's side, as there is nothing to hold it in on this side it seems.

Does anyone know how to shift the roof trim back towards that corner, or otherwise stop the fabric fraying or secure that loose edge? (What material is it, if it's a polyester or other synthetic I could always use a heat gun to sear the edges).
Attachments
16062009597.jpg
16062009597.jpg (58.61 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Re: Roof trim detached partially

Postby Spec B Wgn » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:36 pm

mate as you said it looks like that whole piece has moved not just the trim.

can you see where its attached from the drivers side to see if you can shift it back.?

i wouldnt be searing the edges Pal, it could end up unweaving itself further.
This cowboy walks in to a German car showroom and he says 'Audi!'
Spec B Wgn

Postby Sentinel » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:52 pm

Fold the internal weather seal back and see it the trim panel has moved out. If it has, push it back in, tuck the headlining in and then flip the seal 'over' the outside to stop it from fraying further.
Memoirs of Sentinel:
GT-B | Black | Wagon | Manual | Brembo's | 19"x8 Blaque Diamond Wheels | Tein C/O's w EDFC | Custom Interior | PHAT Zorst | WL Sways | STi Stuff...
Sentinel
-stickered-

Postby teK-- » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:56 pm

Man what a pain! I have managed to check the workshop manual and the trim only has 3 clips which are at the end closest to the rear windscreen. Every other part of it is held in by the sunroof, grab handles, front map lights etc. At the door openings they are just friction fit behind the weatherseals. See pic (bottom of the image is the front of the car)

I'm beginning to think that perhaps the roof trim may have actually shrunk over time.

Sentinel I tried folding that seal back but it seems there is nothing obvious to move the trim back over, but I'll look around the area again on the weekend when I have daylight. Might even see if I can remove that grabhandle and pull the trim across then refit the handle.

To remove the trim totally is a procedure involving around 10 pages of the manual so that will be my absolute last resort; there is no guarantee if I do that that there will then not be a gap somewhere else or I start getting rattles and squeaks, argh!!
Attachments
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (20.9 KiB) Viewed 2104 times
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Sentinel » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:05 pm

Wow - big job there teK! Good luck with it.
Memoirs of Sentinel:
GT-B | Black | Wagon | Manual | Brembo's | 19"x8 Blaque Diamond Wheels | Tein C/O's w EDFC | Custom Interior | PHAT Zorst | WL Sways | STi Stuff...
Sentinel
-stickered-

Postby cadud2000 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:57 pm

My car has the exact same problem but my trim hasnt come off as much as yours from the photos. Mine also has another problem at the front passanger door rubber trimming that the window slides up and down against, this has also pulled away from the back corner of the door right next to where the roof lining is coming off. any easier ideas to fix?
cadud2000

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Premium

Postby teK-- » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:27 pm

I never got around to fixing the roof trim Josh (have been too busy doing mods lol). Can you take a photo of the part you're referring to?
teK--
-stickered-

Postby cadud2000 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:17 pm

here you go. 2 pics. my roof lining wasnt as bad as yours, but as you can see the rubber seal for the door is also starting to move.

any ideas?

This photo is taken of the front passenger side.
cadud2000

Postby teK-- » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:23 pm

Oh damn! Have you tried the obvious which is to remove the whole rubber seal then realign it and press it back on? Perhaps the rubber has warped or shrunk over time. In that case I would think a rubber conditioner or something may bring some life back into it because they are not cheap to buy replacements.

Seriously I wonder how hard it is to get things like this right, my old car did not have such problems with any of its rubber seals or roof trim after over 15 years :/

All the pro car detailers rave on about this product, Einszett Gummi Pflege (Rubber care stick) to restore and protect rubber trims:

http://www.waxit.com.au/proddetail.asp? ... 0007&cat=9
teK--
-stickered-

Postby cadud2000 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:36 pm

got another for you to. with the trim that goes round the outside of the sunroof. That trim is also starting to come lose. can i just get some double sided tape or small amount of silicone or does anyone else have any ideas how to fix this one?

The guy i bought the car from had 3 young kids and they went nuts on the interior. Took me 2 weeks of cleaning to get off all the finger prints and marks but now its spotless :D

cadud2000

Postby teK-- » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:41 pm

That sunroof trim just looks like it's bent in the middle section. Pull it back into shape and double sided tape should fix it.

Gotta hate kids in cars they have no respect!!! :angry2: Luckily the previously owner of mine had none and the back seat area was spotless due to hardly being used.
teK--
-stickered-

Postby cadud2000 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:37 pm

yea your right it has a bend in the trim. but because of the bend every time i try to use double sided tape to stick it into place it slowly pulls away and seperates again. anyone no a part number for the trim and a ruff price if i was to just buy a new trim thats not bent?
cadud2000

Return to How do I?