First Gen Lag/Hesitation/Oxy Sensor Question

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

First Gen Lag/Hesitation/Oxy Sensor Question

Postby theidealist » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:15 am

Hello all,
Well I wrote a few weeks ago for help with locating the quite obvious fuel filter. Thanks for the help with that one. I'm writing now because replacing the fuel filter, while insanely easy, didn't help with my hesitation issues.
Basically, whenever the car is cold it hesitates like crazy -- almost to the point of stalling at times -- and is generally very annoying. Once the engine has warmed up the problem effectively disappears. I'm not an expert but I'm thinking it's got to be an issue with either the fuel/air ratio or the fuel delivery subsystem. Any thoughts? My current plan of attack is to replace the oxygen sensor - it seems likely to me that when the car is cold the onboard computer is not picking up that it needs a richer mixture.
Seriously, anything anyone has to say will be considered but the main reason I'm writing is to see if anyone has replaced the oxy sensor in one of these cars -- and, if so, how much it cost and how hard it was to do. Any chance of a walkthrough posted somewhere with instructions? I know I should buy the manual, but it's like $70 at Super Cheap Auto and I am much more super cheap than that. I'm kind of hoping I could get the part for $70 and install it myself on a Saturday.

Any and all input is appreciated,

-Patrick
theidealist

Postby Mano™ » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:26 pm

Patrick,

Mate I think I posted to you last time.. did you happen to check ur error codes? and identify the error codes?

If not re-post here and i'll tell you now and PM me ya e-mail and i'll send u the instructions on how..

I might be just the way your throtal body is set n stuff like that..

But let me know.. u need to know the error codes, this will help solve the prob.. sounds like u have the exact same probs as i did :) for my 93 RS WAgz..

Cheers
Mano 8)
Mano™
-stickered-

Car: MY06 Liberty GT

Postby theidealist » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:40 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, Mano.

I haven't checked the error codes, so my oxy sensor thought is really just a shot in the dark. I'm not too certain how to read the error codes, to be honest. I thought about it, but I figured I would need some sort of computer to do that. Are there instructions somewhere that I can get a hold of that says how to check them -- or where should I go to get something that will enable me to read them? Surely it can't be something you can do easily and have dashboard lights flash at you?

Thanks again,

-Patrick
theidealist

Postby Mano™ » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:25 pm

Just sent a reply to ur PM and sent the codes to ur e-mail and how to do it as well Patrick.

Hopefully this all works out champ! :)

Cheers
Mano 8)

P.S
Once again, sorry for the late reply mate
Mano™
-stickered-

Car: MY06 Liberty GT

Return to How do I?