New member 2007 Liberty troubleshooting help.

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Re: New member 2007 Liberty troubleshooting help.

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:47 pm

asw120 wrote:Not exactly, it would appear that the valve has been stuck open for a long time. I noted water / condensation in the plug when I first looked at it and a bit of corrosion, like on a water damaged circuit board. I would say this has got into the sensor and partially shorted it to earth, just not a dead short. So enough to overload the 5v supply, but not enough of a short to blow anything.
The main takeaway from this was not to start until I have the correct matching wiring diagrams. That would have saved a lot of confusion, as not only are the wires different colours, but the pinout for the ECU is almost completely different between engines / markets. This is why nothing made any sense at first. It took multiple visits to get used to how to navigate the manual. It is like no manual I've used previously. At work (lifts and escalators), we know what the inputs and outputs do and what voltage should be present. The issues are usually relay, safety circuit, or position sensor contacts, or such. Testing for open, or shorted wires is the last thing we would ever do as it's a rare occurrence. The last time I had an intermittent short was on a lift that was nearly 60 years old! I did not see in the manual any instruction that suggested unplugging things until the short goes away, even though I would think that would be far more common.
Anyway, feel free to PM me, if you think I may be able to assist. If there is an option to send me an email, do that.

Cheers, Jarrod.

Mainly not to clutter this thread really, plenty enough going on here.
I’ll start a thread and send a link as your observations will be very useful regarding doing it by the fsm book, vs experience and rule of thumb. ;)

With car engines the harness & plugs of course see a lot of heat, vibration and moisture, plus the the harness wires or insulation can fail at the branches if strain is present, and the whole harness can become oil contaminated via leaking cam sensors etc.

Then there’s failed ECUs from leaking sunroofs, dry circuit board joints and burnt components :swoon:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Previous

Return to How do I?