Replaced bcm ignition Barrel and immobiliser module

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Replaced bcm ignition Barrel and immobiliser module

Postby Tassie's finest » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:34 pm

Hi new here but need help,
My 2008 Subaru liberty was stolen I got it back with a destroyed ignition barrel and had been hotwired as they were caught driving it. I've replaced ignition barrel bought as a used kit it came with ignition barrel matching key & fob, immobiliser module and BCM (under passenger footwell) and a central locking control module (I think I haven't been able to locate it under the dash to replace it. iive swapped the bcm the immobiliser module fitted the barrel just haven't done central locking bit. Now it won't start at all, as soon as the battery is connected the alarm starts going and the car won't start at all the key won't turn the alarm off the key turns in the switch but as alarms going I get nothing, fans turn on intermittently but won't turn over any help or advice would be great
Tassie's finest

Car: Subaru liberty 2008

Re: Replaced bcm ignition Barrel and immobiliser module

Postby Ric » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:13 pm

Sorry, can't answer your question, but I'm damn curious how they managed to hot wire it.
Even if you have a blank key cut to match the original, the engine won't start if it doesn't see the correct security chip in the key.
A Subaru dealer should have been able to match the new key to your existing BCM.
I didn't think that model came with a factory alarm, is that some after market addition?
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby Tassie's finest » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:10 pm

I'm not sure if aftermarket or not. I've bought it bone stock as far as I know. It's not so much alarm more of the beep beep beep beep beep beep and the light on the mobilizer thing is flashing on and off
Tassie's finest

Car: Subaru liberty 2008

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:35 am

The ecu is also a part of the vehicle security handshake set.
Also the key reader that’s attached to or around the key barrel.

So you’d also need both from the donor vehicle.

So you’ll need the ecu from the donor vehicle, or get your ecu coded at the dealership to match your donor parts.
The vin of the donor might be useful to have on hand for the latter option.

The dealership might be your only option (or a tech with an ssm specific obd two-way shop tool) if your ecu was eg auto and the donor a manual or vice versa.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to How do I?