Can't lock/unlock car without key & interior light flashing

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Can't lock/unlock car without key & interior light flashing

Postby McYellowBird » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:33 pm

Hi there. I got my car back today from getting repaired after someone reversed into me. They had to replace the front bumper, driver side fender, and paint/repair the driver door.

I tried to lock the car with the key fob when I went out tonight, and nothing happens. I also tried to open the boot with the key fob but that also did nothing.
I tried to use the lock/unlock switch thingy where the window controls are on the driver door, but when I push it to lock the doors it beeps, and when I push to unlock them, it does nothing.
I have to use my key to unlock the driver's door as the sensor or whatever doesn't work, but it was like that before the repair.

I'm taking it back in on Monday unless I can find an answer here. Seems like something's not hooked up, I don't know. Please ask me any questions, and I'll reply asap.

Thanks in advance :D

EDIT: The lights on the middle of the roof above the back seats, which if set on the middle option, will turn on when the doors are open, but after the repair, if the middle option is set, the lights will flash on and off at around half-second intervals when the doors are open or closed. This again indicates that something wasn't hooked up properly when the door was put back on. Hopefully, this extra information helps.

EDIT 2: Here's a video of the key fob lock/unlock not working, beeping on the power door lock switch, and the interior light flashing.
Last edited by McYellowBird on Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
McYellowBird

Car: MY05 Liberty GT

Re: Can't unlock car with key fob

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:05 am

Open the key to change the battery and or re-solder/fuse the battery cage on the internal circuit board.

Do NOT lose the transponder chip inside the key at the pointy end.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Re: Can't unlock car with key fob

Postby McYellowBird » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:07 pm

@bigBADbenny , the issue isn't with the key fob, as the manual lock/unlock all doors switch on the driver's door beeps when I push to lock, and does nothing when I push to unlock. The issue is with the door. Something hasn't been hooked up properly after repair, and I'm wondering if anyone knows what that would be or how to fix it. It seems like the beep indicates that something which should be connected, isn't. The key fob worked before the repair.
McYellowBird

Re: Can't lock/unlock car without key & interior light flash

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:33 am

In that case, everything you need to know is in the FSM link in my signature.

Usually each section has an interview or fault description, then the diagnostics, then procedures.
bigBADbenny

Postby McYellowBird » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:21 pm

I've tried to do the diagnostic thing, but that doesn't show anything. I've read through the other links but can't find what I need. Again, it has something to do with the reinstallation of the driver's side door, with which something has not been hooked up properly. Have a look at the video if you haven't, it shows exactly what isn't working.
McYellowBird

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:03 pm

Try this section of the FSM from my faq post:

http://Www.TinyURL.com/yxbpuzf5M

If you go up one level, you’ll find interior illumination.
Since the drivers door was probably removed for repair, I’d say that’s where the issue is.
Can you adjust the drivers mirror?

Since the body integrated unit is involved, be very careful to follow the diagnostic procedures to a tee.
You don’t want to damage the biu/bcm etc.
bigBADbenny

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:23 pm

So there’s two types of FSM and both present challenges for searching for solutions.

The link above is an index.html resource, you can grab the whole folder and search it on a browser, but atm, I can only do this on IE8... !

Otherwise download and search a PDF FSM using eg acrobat on a PC. Easier.

Between the keyless entry system, interior illumination system and the related wiring diagrams, you’ll find your issue, which is probably an unplugged loom or pinched boot in the door jamb.

As regards the latter, is the affected door loom boot twisted or looking odd?

Otherwise check the door loom plug in the kick panel below the dash near the lower inner door jamb, or the door sub loom harness which is behind the door card, lookup how to remove the doorcard in the FSM or find a diy on the forums.
bigBADbenny

Postby RX25SE » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:36 am

McYellowBird wrote:it has something to do with the reinstallation of the driver's side door, with which something has not been hooked up properly.

I tend to agree with this, given it was working before the repairs. Was the LED interior lamp globe fitted before?

If it were me, the first thing I would do is pull the door trim and inspect all connectors are fully plugged in. Also try holding the door switch in the position it does nothing while wiggling the harness between the door and A pillar.
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby Lucullus » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:12 am

It appears as if the car is in "registration mode", which is intended for learning remote keys. This mode is activated when a single-pole plug in the area under the a-pillar is connected. In normal mode, this plug must be disconected.
Lucullus

Car: 2004 JDM Legacy GT Spec B BP5

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:15 am

Brilliant! Well done :good:

Here's a site specific search using those keywords:
https://www.google.com.au/search?biw=12 ... CAw&uact=5
bigBADbenny

Return to How do I?