Check thermostat it working. I think its a dud.

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Check thermostat it working. I think its a dud.

Postby angusdeane » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:06 am

Hey Guys,

Just replaced the coolant in my 3.0R-B, replaced the thermostat while I was at it with a tridon TT294-170 I got from Bursons. When I replaced the coolant had the front of the car jacked up, and had a funnel duct taped to the top of the radiator to emulate those no spill radiator funnels. So I am pretty sure I burped the air out properly. However running the car the thermostat doesn't seem to be opening it is supposed to operate at 77° but looking at the temp on my OBD scanner its getting up to 105° and only seems to go down a couple degrees here and there. Bottom radiator hose was cold still I was a bit scared to keep running it in case it over heated. Reading up on the tridon it was suppose to be within 10-14° of the 77° operating range.

Just looking for advice on what to do next, is it worth chucking back in the factory thermostat? Or try running it? The heater also didn't seem to be getting that hot.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Angus
angusdeane

Car: 05 3.0RB Wagon

Re: Check thermostat it working. I think its a dud.

Postby angusdeane » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:20 am

Maybe I am just a dud... Went back and gave it a few revs and came good. Although it is running at 95°instead of the 77°. Heater is toasty warm as well.
angusdeane

Car: 05 3.0RB Wagon

Postby SubaruDIY20 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:53 am

Hey mate,

how is your car operating now? I also replaced the water pump and thermostat on my car and the bottom radiator hose is constantly cold and I am not sure if that is normal? I was expecting it to be hot (or at least warm) after thermostat opens, so I am unsure if my new thermostat is a dud or not.
SubaruDIY20

Car: LIBERTY WAGON 2006

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:58 am

Have a read of this faq:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36458
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to How do I?