Subaru Liberty 2009 intermittent non-starting

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Subaru Liberty 2009 intermittent non-starting

Postby laura123 » Sun May 31, 2020 6:26 pm

Hi, I have a 2009 5th gen Liberty 2.5i Premium that is currently not starting. About 3 months ago it did not start but it cranked. I replaced the battery and it was fine for a few weeks before it didn't start for me again. I took it to my mechanic and it started every time for him and he said he cannot find a fault unless it fails for him. He advised me to take it to Subaru. A few more weeks went by and it was starting just fine until it did not want to start AGAIN. I tried turning it on over several days and with no luck I had it towed to Subaru. I explained to them what has been happening, however, the car started for them and they mentioned they could not help me. They said there was no error reported in the system. Another couple of weeks went past and it was driving fine but now it is not starting again. I need the car to be reliable so I don't get stuck anywhere! Subaru offered to have another look at the car but I cannot afford another tow truck if they can not guarantee they will fix the issue. Please help me! Thank you.
laura123

Car: 2009 Subaru Liberty 5th Gen

Re: Subaru Liberty 2009 intermittent non-starting

Postby HyRax » Sun May 31, 2020 8:54 pm

All sorts of possibilities here:

• Does it not start only in one place, or lots of different places (ie: local environment interfering, such as EMI)?
  • Does it not start only at one time of the day or any time of the day?
  • Have you tried your second key, ie: the ignition barrel might not be reading the key properly to know that it is allowed to start. Try changing your key battery too.
  • Less likely, but could be bad fuel - try sourcing it from a different servo for 2-3 tanks.
  • Do an ECU reset - disconnect the car battery for ten minutes and see if that makes any difference.
  • Presumably Subaru have already checked for this, but are there any reported engine codes?
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby laura123 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:57 am

Thank you! It originally didn’t start when the car was parked up hill so I only parked downhill but now it doesn’t start in either positions. The non starting also doesn’t seem to be dependent on the time of day either. I always have both keys with me now (as I thought that may have been the issue) but neither keys work now. I fill up with 98 from different service stations regularly. I have previously disconnected the battery to check the voltage, it seems as though the alternator is charging the battery. And correct, no error codes were received from Subaru.

I discovered a recall for the wiring harness in the fuel pump that may deteriorate over time and lead to engine stalling or non starting. This seems like a plausible explanation but my car is not on the recall list. I’ve already contacted Subaru and they cannot help me despite the build being in the year of the recall.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I’m sure you can understand my frustration and I thank you again for your help!
laura123

Car: 2009 Subaru Liberty 5th Gen

Postby Yowie » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:13 pm

I have a noisy fuel pump, so this is easier for me, but when you turn the key to "on" (but not yet to "start") can you hear the fuel pump running to pressurise the fuel rails:-

(a) in circumstances where the car goes on to actually start; and also

(b) in circumstances where the car then cranks but refuses to start?

(The fuel pump is usually in the fuel tank which is usually under the rear seats. A helper might need to put his/her ear close to the pump location if your factory pump is quiet.)

If you hear the pump before it starts but don't hear the pump when it's a non-starter then you may have narrowed the issue to something in the fuel pump wiring circuit (eg an intermittent relay or a loose wiring connection).

[If you want to force the difference in "pump working or not" noise in your car or another car - pull the fuse for the fuel pump. In my car that fuse lives in the engine bay fuse box and is clearly labelled in the lid diagram. Your situation may vary.]
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby HyRax » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:18 pm

Oooh, yes - test the fuel pump for sure. In a stock car, you can definitely hear it prime - just listen for the motor hum sound under the back seat that happens for the first two seconds as you turn the car to AAC without actually going for the crank.

Another shot in the dark if it's not the fuel pump: if you jumper your car to another and try to start it, is there any success?
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby Yowie » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:30 pm

HyRax wrote:Oooh, yes - test the fuel pump for sure. In a stock car, you can definitely hear it prime - just listen for the motor hum sound under the back seat that happens for the first two seconds as you turn the car to AAC ON without actually going for the crank.

Another shot in the dark if it's not the fuel pump: if you jumper your car to another and try to start it, is there any success?

Minor correction above to save confusion :)

Cheers for confirming the audibility of a stock fuel pump too.

I would think that, if it's currently cranking well (but not firing) a jump-start wouldn't change much, but it's still worth trying things in a methodical fashion all the same.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby Turtlez » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:38 am

not sure how helpful, but my Gen III did something similar, turn the key it would crank, and crank, and crank, but never fire. could take 15-20 minutes of start stop before it just started.

I tried new battery, new fuel pump. what helped alot was a faulty Crank Angle Sensor. Don't get it from Subaru, charged me $400, as it "required the radiator out". Went to my trusty mechanic TechWorkz, Mick pulled it out while on the phone and replaced it while on the phone.

Might be something to look into, I had the same no fault codes stored, however i believe when running it was reporting to the ECU and issue, but only when you the ECU was powered on. One of those fault codes not registered as an error, as it could just read poorly.
Turtlez
-stickered-

Car: 08 Legacy Wagon

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:33 am

The first thing I’d check would be the fuel pump bucket assy, especially the loom plug: looking for burnt pins, dirty filter etc.

From there check the crank and cam sensors and generally look for dirt or sludge on the sensor face and or oil in the plug and loom.

Then health check the car including inlet pressure test, fuel supply and spark.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to How do I?