1998 Liberty engine swap

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

1998 Liberty engine swap

Postby RitaYeeter » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:28 pm

I hope this isn't too vague, but I figured this is the best place to come with liberty questions so bear with me lol
I've got a 1998 Liberty GX, the head gaskets gone in it and it's got high K's so I figured I would be best off just doing a swap. I wanted to know if either the ej20 or 25 would be viable swaps? I would love to put something turbo in it, so I'm open to other suggestions if anyone's seen something else done to the same model that would work out better :)
RitaYeeter

Car: 1998 Subaru Liberty GX

Re: 1998 Liberty engine swap

Postby Stifull » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:53 pm

Unfortunately it probably isn't economically viable as a good complete ej20 + mounts + complete turbo back exhaust + ecu + wiring loom + a whole mess of sensors etc plus a tune + your transmission may likely throw in the towel with a turbo ej20 +++ . It will quickly become a money pit that you will never get your money back on.. It will cost a minimum of $6000 and that's as long as you get cheap 2nd hand parts and the tune isn't more than a few hundred and you do ALL the work yourself . For that money you could buy a nice, much newer Lib GT with airbags and all the other goodies. We have 2 Suzuki Sierra 4x4s . We took out the 1300 carby engines and put a 1600 efi engine out of a Baleno in one of them and a 1300 DOHC Suzuki Swift GTI efi engine in the other and it was a huge job. Unless you can find some info from others who have done what you want to do I would suggest just buying a turbo Lib or a Rex and save yourself months of stress and lots of spending...
Current Subarus
07 Liberty GT (mine) 180kwt on 16lb
98 WRX Club Spes 2 with 2.5ltr upgrade(mine) sub 14 sec
99 Ver 6 Sti also with 2.5ltr upgrade (son) sub 14 sec
02 WRX Bugeye Hatch lots of goodies(wife)
09 Non Turbo Impreza(daughter#4)
Previous
98 GC8 WRX Hatch(daughter#1)
02 Bugeye WRX (daughter#2)
Stifull

Car: '07 Liberty GT '98 WRX CS2 2.5ltr

Re: 1998 Liberty engine swap

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:39 am

Exactly.
Reinventing the wheel with a complete donor is a labour of love, count on at least 2 weeks full time with access to a hoist.
Its one of those “if you have to ask, you probably can’t” questions.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to How do I?