cent. locking

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

cent. locking

Postby LIBER8ED » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:26 am

hey trendsetters

just to ad to the list of problems with my car, the rrhs door has become rather lethargic in locking/unlocking. im taking a stab and thinking the solonoid has reached the end of its life span..

what am i looking at as far as difficulty rating to replace this? if in fact it is it, and what sort of price and stockist would i be looking at to get my hands on one..

cheers

btw my06 2.5i if that makes a diff
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

[TEAM BLUE OVAL]

Image[ImageImageImageImage
LIBER8ED
-stickered-

Car: MY06 3RB Liberty Wagon 6MT

Postby 541NTT » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:16 pm

it shits me how many issues youve had with your car mate, considering its a my06 you might expect it from a my04 first of the models but not an 06..

id pull off the door and pull out the solenoid, take it around and see if you can match tit
541NTT
formerly mason_luke

Car: 04 GT Lib

Postby subnub » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:10 pm

Contact Chris from Audio Express, tell him Marc sent you - 0407 102 839
subnub

Car: MY08 GT-B tb STi sedan 6MT

Postby AndySTi » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:50 pm

Hey your not the only person that has that problem, our my04 2.5i, has had (and is having) the same issue. It doesn't always occur, bit it has become more recent in the past few weeks. I find giving the door a WHACK! :) from the inside, helps to solve the issue. Note, this is only a temporary fix hehe. Like luke said, try pulling the door off and checking it out, may help.
AndySTi

Car: MY07 LGT TB STI

Postby Ric » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:01 pm

A generic aftermarket one is about $10 but it would be a lot bigger and harder to fit than the genuine part.
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby smythie » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:55 pm

AndySTi wrote:I find giving the door a WHACK! :) from the inside, helps to solve the issue.

Ahh, ye old percussive maintenance. Love it. You aren't/weren't a boiler maker by any chance?
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby AndySTi » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:35 am

smythie wrote:Ahh, ye old percussive maintenance. Love it. You aren't/weren't a boiler maker by any chance?
it also helps to whack just above the handle from inside, forgot to state that part in the previous post. But when it comes to security, make sure the jobs done properly, a simple whack, just makes it easier to theives.
Last edited by AndySTi on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndySTi

Car: MY07 LGT TB STI

Postby LIBER8ED » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:06 pm

ive had a bit more of a look into it... as in pulled the door off and had a look see in side... its just ..... slower....... still locks, still works, still does the job as advertised.. its jsut slower..

oh btw, by pulling the door off, i mean the trim, not litterally pull the door off..

ill monitor it for a while and see how it goes for a bit..

Marc, whats this Chris fellas story? he know a thing or 2?

Thanks btw..

Cheers
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

[TEAM BLUE OVAL]

Image[ImageImageImageImage
LIBER8ED
-stickered-

Car: MY06 3RB Liberty Wagon 6MT

Postby subnub » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:30 pm

He runs Audio Express, and has been in the audio/alarms/auto-electrical industry here and in the US for years. Chris is a close friend of mine, but I wouldn't plug him if I wasn't confident in his work :)

As a few examples, he is contracted by Brisbane City Council to do the security and tracking on the CityCats, does work for a number of compliance shops to get cars ready for sale (alarms, getting the Jap-spec TVs working here, etc), helps out Autobarns and the like when their guys get stuck, as well as your normal stereo and alarm installs. And in case it matters, he has an old L-series wagon with an EJ20TT swapped in, which is great for scaring the bogans!

But yeah give him a bell mate, he's straight down the line so if he can't help he'll just say it outright :)
subnub

Car: MY08 GT-B tb STi sedan 6MT

Postby matt » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:05 pm

hey guys, my MY05 rear passenger side door does the same thing, the snib moves slowly, and sometimes wont lock or unlock.it has been back to the shop twice and been lubed twice! they said if it happens again they will replace the whole thing in that door, and guess what?? it happend again the same day i picked it up!! so it will be getting a new lock for free!!! :D
matt

Car: MY05 GT Premium 5MT Garnet Red

Postby bydant » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:45 am

I have the same problem!

Both passenger side doors intermittently lock, and just to piss me off they always unlock. Its worse than not having central locking!

The service manual tells you how to pull of the door trim, but i'm a bit scared of breaking the door grip.

Any tips?
I have a nephew named Anferny, and I know how much he hates it when I call him Anthony. Almost as much as I hate the fact that my sister named him Anferny - Tim Meadows
bydant

Postby loweart » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:04 pm

Hi Bydant,

The door grip isn't the thing you should be worried about breaking, it's the plastic cover plate underneath the door release handle that usually ends up losing the retaining prongs as they snap into pieces if you're too careful in removing !

The door grab handle is actually "hooked" into the door trim and then it's retained by 2 philips head screws. To get to the screws you need to pry off the cover plate first.

I have sent you a PM and if you reply to me with your email I can send you some digital photos.

Or, if you're in Brisbane, I'm happy for you to swing by and I can show you.

Cheers,
Lok
FAST cars and slow women

Silver MY03 Subaru Impreza RS
HKS Panel Filter | Clarion NX502a | Kenwood XR-4S multi channel D class amp | Morel & Eclipse speakers | Yokohama C Drive
loweart
-stickered-

Car: MY03 Impreza RS ( Team Silver )

Postby bydant » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:25 pm

I found that both the passenger side lock actuators on mine are stuffed. Called Subaru for a price and they quoted $255 ea. I have now bought 2 from the wreckers ($205 inc courier) and will be fitting them this weekend. Yay, central locking again :D .
I have a nephew named Anferny, and I know how much he hates it when I call him Anthony. Almost as much as I hate the fact that my sister named him Anferny - Tim Meadows
bydant

Postby tangcla » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:35 pm

Trade price for a rear actuator was $187, I replaced mine a few months ago. About fifteen minutes' work, very easy.

For mine, the door would unlock, but you can hear it grinding. If you watch the internal door lock switch, it moves really slowly, a few more times and it speeds up to get back towards normal speed.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Return to How do I?