Ez30 into gen 3 lib wagon

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Ez30 into gen 3 lib wagon

Postby ahrexwagon » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:20 am

Hey guys, putting together parts list for engine swap I am commencing

The donor;
03’ Outback 3.0 H6 auto

The victim;

02’ Lib wagon 2.5rx 5mt

I am posting this thread for any advice or pointers in relation to parts, wiring, things to look out for etc.

Before I start this I just wanted to be clear that i understand the undertaking is no easy feat. As it has been stated before on this forum, there are probably many easier conversions and a lot of more financially viable options, however, I have sunk to much time and money into the rx already and absolutely love the look of these cars that I don’t want to just throw it away.

First thoughts when putting together this build in my mind were mostly about driveability more than chasing power (yet)

My plan is to retain the existing gearbox and drive line, I have seen that a young chap on the site has achieved this pairing of the H6 with a 5mt, first concern is will the H6 3.0 actually bolt straight up to the 5mt? Or is there a custom adaptor required?
second concern is the clutch required as I have read elsewhere that the stock clutch, particularly the dm flywheel slip and cant stand up to the additional torque.

I am inclined to convert to a sm flywheel with a heftier clutch kit but would like some pointers on what would be recommended?

Would a sm flywheel and HD clutch kit to suit the old 2.5 work? What about a wrx clutch & flywheel?

As the H6 never came with a manual transmission (gen 3 anyway) I am not sure what would suit the motor.

My next thoughts are braking. Slightly heavier engine + increased torque = bigger brakes.

I could always replace the libs brakes with the outback’s for the time being but while the needs for something better is there I am thinking better to look into upgrade options..

Later model gt front rotors with calipers I’ve heard will fit with 17”s that I already have on the car. Does anyone know if any of the wrx 2/4 pot calipers and rotors work with the gen 3 libs?

Then there’s getting the H6 to work with the 5mt...

In my research I can’t really find any detailed information on this. From what I could find I have learnt the following;
-A speed sensor has to be wired in
-an extra wire added into the ABS system
-Neutral switch needs to be grounded at the ECU
-the start wire removed from the cruise

Does anyone have any more in depth info on this?

I would like to keep cruise control and I’ll be using the outbacks abs unit and ps pump so any advice or point me in the direction for a genius auto elect who can help out would be great.

As far as exhaust system goes my plan involved a stock b4 tt catback merging with the stock H6 headers.. depending on the actual pipe diameters this might or might not work so any info on this would be awesome too. I have seen a few grainy YouTube vids of kids with tt exhaust on the gen 3 outbacks but apart from shitty sound quality there’s next to no info on how they did it..

I will be updating the thread with new info, and updates on the build as I go, it would be good to hear from anyone with their 2 cents.
The Weekend car: 2002 BH Liberty Wagon, 5mt, blown ej25, currently doing H6 conversion
The Donor car; 2003 Outback ez30 H6 auto
The Daily/Camping Car: 2012 Isuzu Dmax Dual Cab SX 4x4 auto
ahrexwagon

Car: 2002 BH Liberty Wagon ez30 - 5mt

Re: Ez30 into gen 3 lib wagon

Postby timmmyrogers » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:57 pm

I am doing the same thing, I'm retaining the duel range 5 spd but I'm not expecting it to last long.
Ive got an exedy HD clutch which i took into a subaru parts place and they matched it with a machined single mass flywheel. Its best to do it this way as the pressure plates have different bolt diameters, and the H6 crankshaft has the same 8 bolt spacing as pretty much of the manuals, so any flywheel should bolt up to the H6. Just make sure it matches your clutch.
The bell housing bolt pattern is the same as the outback auto bell housing so it bolts up easy.
I've upgraded the front brakes to 4 pot wrx. The outback front brakes are probably a good idea since the liberty brakes are pretty bad even with the 2.0l. You need 17 inch wheels with the wrx 4 pots.
Al from AM auto has wiring diagrams for the points you mention. I have a copy if you pm me your email I can share them with you.
You need the gearbox crossmember from the twin turbo B4, otherwise its alot of grinding and heating with a blow torch then hammering to get the h6 exhaust to fit on the liberty. Dont ask me how i know this...
This can be avoided if you get a custom exhaust made or OBX headers which are only available from the US but can get sent here for around 600AUD. Im sure an exhaust shop can weld something up cheaper.
My exhaust setup is stock header to muffler, with an sti genome muffler. Hopefully this is short term until i can get a custom manifold to muffler system.

Its good to see someone doing the same thing as I, can offer as much help as i can and let you know what issues i run into on the way
timmmyrogers

Car: 2003 BH Liberty Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33904

Postby ahrexwagon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:39 pm

Pee emm sent! Thanks man this is definitely an interesting engine swap compared to the regular wrx/sti swaps that are done on these libs

It’s a shame the H6 aftermarket support isn’t the same tho...

What year/model sti was the muffler from? I have a hole in the one that came from the donor which I need to swap over too..

as for the header clearance, do you know if any of the wrx tranny x members would work on the 5mt dual range boxes?
The Weekend car: 2002 BH Liberty Wagon, 5mt, blown ej25, currently doing H6 conversion
ahrexwagon

Postby timmmyrogers » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:56 am

Yea the aftermarket options are pretty limited, but it should be nice if it eventually gets a turboo!

The muffler is from the JDM legacy bh5, I got it sent here from japan and its a direct swap over. ill eventually get some pictures of it in my thread

I haven't looked into any other crossmembers as i'm planning to go custom. Might be a good bit of research as I haven't come across much about wrx x members. I have a feeling you need the twin turbo x member as it allows two pipes through, whereas the wrx only has one pipe coming from the single dump pipe.
timmmyrogers

Car: 2003 BH Liberty Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33904

Postby ahrexwagon » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:21 pm

I’ve been having a look at the outback (donor car) H6 oem headers back to the cats, they cross under the auto box’s member then merge to one pipe from the cat back.

Assuming this could be done because of the outbacks ride height being taller than the libertys?

Wonder if that x member lines up...

That’s definately a job for the weekend as well!

Let you know how I go.

Oh and btw thanks for AMauto docs mate they do shed a bit of light
ahrexwagon

Postby ahrexwagon » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:44 pm

Decent start to the day, tackling the ecu, blackface dash and steering wheel removal so I can begin to remove the wiring loom for the engine.

Taking care to label connection so as not to forget their place
ahrexwagon

Return to How do I?