4GEN liberty GT TBSti intermittent rattle and loss of boost

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

4GEN liberty GT TBSti intermittent rattle and loss of boost

Postby Dan_theMan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:18 pm

Hey guys!

Newbie here.

Got an issue with my 2006 TBSTi, car developed a slight whine under boost (only when cold).
Things start to get a little weird here, the car drives almost perfect with proper spool when cold (albeit the small whine) under boost, however as it heats up acceleration gets extremely poor and boost does not kick in till a LOT later. The exhaust note changes dramatically (to an almost WRX unequal header note).
So I'm assuming its either an exhaust leak or turbo has sh** it self. I've inspected the car on lifts and can hear an intermittent rattle (coming from the front of the car) when idling and warm only (not present when engine is cold).

Cliffs/Notes

- Car runs fine with sufficient boost when engine is cold (with slight audible whine).
- After the engine has warmed up exhaust note changes dramatically and car exhibits intermittent rattle only when idling (possible exhaust).
- Car runs very poorly after the engine is warm and no boost down low.

After much research still at no avail :|

Help would be greatly appreciated,

Dan
Dan_theMan

Car: 06' Liberty GT TbSTi

Re: 4GEN liberty GT TBSti intermittent rattle and loss of bo

Postby alexeiwoody » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:41 pm

Dan_theMan wrote:Hey guys!

Newbie here.

Got an issue with my 2006 TBSTi, car developed a slight whine under boost (only when cold).
Things start to get a little weird here, the car drives almost perfect with proper spool when cold (albeit the small whine) under boost, however as it heats up acceleration gets extremely poor and boost does not kick in till a LOT later. The exhaust note changes dramatically (to an almost WRX unequal header note).
So I'm assuming its either an exhaust leak or turbo has sh** it self. I've inspected the car on lifts and can hear an intermittent rattle (coming from the front of the car) when idling and warm only (not present when engine is cold).

Cliffs/Notes

- Car runs fine with sufficient boost when engine is cold (with slight audible whine).
- After the engine has warmed up exhaust note changes dramatically and car exhibits intermittent rattle only when idling (possible exhaust).
- Car runs very poorly after the engine is warm and no boost down low.

After much research still at no avail :|

Help would be greatly appreciated,

Dan

Sounds like OCV/AVCS related issue. The oil pressure is high when cold, so cams are moving fine through their normal cycles, as soon as oil warms up, pressure drops and there isn't enough to move the AVCS system.

Possible culprits are - OCV solenoids, clogged oil lines to the OCVs or dirty cam gear/s.

Start by logging the AVCS through the ECU and workout which cam is having the issues, then through process of elimination pin point which of the 3 issues it is.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby toastedEmu » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:05 pm

Hi Dan,

Just wondering if you resolved this issue? I have a similar problem, Ive ran it up with the scan tool and couldnt find any issues.

Cheers,

Luke
toastedEmu

Car: Liberty GT 4GEN

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:19 am

You need ssm logging to log the avcs vvt angles.
Tactrix, Btssm or vagcom.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to How do I?