2004 Liberty GT 2.0T 5EAT

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

2004 Liberty GT 2.0T 5EAT

Postby mdonohoe » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:52 pm

I'm located Brisbane, QLD, Australia. I bought a '04 Liberty GT (2.0T) 5EAT as a project car from Mackay and drove it home. On the way home the turbo compressor seized in the housing and luckily I didnt loose any oil/water and basically just ended up driving home off-boost with a big lump in the mainfold. Shit happens, I paid less than 5k and the car has a few mods already which paid off the cost of the car. The interior is excellent which is always a bonus. Came with the typical airbag light and the centre dash clock not working.

Tomei Extractors / Dump Pipe(Titanium) / Custom 3" Exhaust
Tomei ARMS M8265 Turbo(which I'll sell off)
ProcessWest TMIC (which I'll sell off)
Turbosmart Manual Boost Tee
Some ricer BOV (Expensive, but I dont like it)
Wheels/Suspension
Koyo Radiator
Aftermarket Tranny Cooler

Before I bought it I put in a 4T 2 Post Hoist for the build(and just generally, I live on 2 acres and I'm always working on projects) so I've been dismantling the engine and looking over the various bits and pieces that I need to do to get around the 400WHP mark. Not a daily driver, a project car. No timeframe yet.

I have oxy/acet gear, MIG, TIG(AC/DC), Stick and I can weld where I need to but I do usually favour buy over build if possible.

It would be good if anybody could point me to a summary thread/information post where I could try and determine which STi/WRX parts "fit" the LGT 2.0T motor. I've always made a blinding assumption that generally WRX parts will fit and STi parts may not always fit due to things like manifold differences and twin-scroll turbos but I could be wrong. Any information that you could provide (or links) would be much appreciated. In terms of tuning I've always favored the Tactrix OpenPort for data logging and reflashing but happy to be schooled here too.

Regards,
Matt
mdonohoe

Re: 2004 Liberty GT 2.0T 5EAT

Postby HardwareBoB » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:57 pm

Read my build thread, read dr20t's build thread, several others - that should give you an idea.

The EJ20X/Y is a sort of mix-and-match setup. Similar in some ways to an sti, and others to a WRX. 400whp is easy enough with a stock EJ207 bottom end.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby mdonohoe » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:01 pm

Thanks Bob - I appreciate the reply. I'll take a look at all of those threads and I might PM you with questions after I fail? Dont worry. I dont need you to tell me how to remove an engine. LOL.
mdonohoe

Postby HardwareBoB » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:02 pm

mdonohoe wrote:Thanks Bob - I appreciate the reply. I'll take a look at all of those threads and I might PM you with questions after I fail? Dont worry. I dont need you to tell me how to remove an engine. LOL.

There was a guy on facebook the other day asking if it was ok to lift the engine from the manifold, so you wouldn't be alone there!
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby mdonohoe » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:25 pm

LOL. Theres only what 500 youtube videos on it?
mdonohoe

Return to How do I?