Swap out vf46 for a vf52

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Swap out vf46 for a vf52

Postby Beno » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:06 pm

Just got my hands on a vf52 and thinking of installing it myself. Im fairly mechanical minded. Is there any major things to look out for ?
Beno

Car: 07 GT-B 6mt Obp sedan

Re: Swap out vf46 for a vf52

Postby vinshonz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:03 pm

my mate done it a couple of hours, hes a mechanic tho
everything fits fine, you must cut about half the turbo heat shield if you want it back on

1 thing i do have to tell you is you must port and polish the vf52, or you will get boost creep

google "vf52 boost creep"
2008 Liberty GT Tuned by STi 27 of 250 made
PnP VF52, AVO TBE into TCP-Ti Mufflers, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, Kobe Silicone Intake + SFB, Kobe 340LPH pump,
Tuspeed 3Port, Exedy HD + lightened flywheel, some Whiteline bits & Corgiwerx bits, Zeitronix Flex Fuel Analyser Kit , e85/98 Flex fuel -Got it REX tuned

2007 WRX Tuned by STi 35 of 200 made
STi Spec C TMIC+ProcessWest splitter, AVO TBE, X3E Silicone Intake, APS CAI, TurboSmart Kompact, Walbro, GrimmSpeed 3 Port, DEFI gauges
TD05-18G 198.5kw on RTRs Dyno - SOLD
vinshonz

Car: 2008 Liberty GT TunedBySTi

Postby Beno » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks for reply.
I have never heard of that but after researching indeed it is a problem.

How much did it cost you to port and polish your vf52 and does anyone know of aplace ib perth that would do this ?
Beno

Postby Gtb08 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:34 pm

Beno wrote:Thanks for reply.

How much did it cost you to port and polish your vf52 and does anyone know of aplace ib perth that would do this ?

if you are able to change the turbo out yourself you should be able to port it - i ported mine. Just need a steady hand and patience.
I separated the exhaust side off and just did that. firstly using a dremel tool and finishing with sandpaper. there is a bit of info around on how to do it.

oh BTW I picked a turbo heat shield from a WRX 2011 wreck and it bolted straight up to the existing bracket, and fitted a turbo blanket around the turbo as well. definite improvment on the intercooler temps.
2008 OBP Liberty GT SpecB ATM - KOBE MSPORTS SILCONE INTAKE & MAF HOSES - TUSPEED 3-PORT BCS - AVO DUMP 160 CEL CAT - KIDO TUNED - ATM TRANS COOLER - KOBE MSPORTS BoV - KOBE FUEL PUMP - WG PORT N POLISHED VF52 TURBO - MISHIMOTO TB HOSE - GReddy DUAL CATCH CANS - CUSTOM REDBACK MUFFLERS - RED STITCHED LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL - DBA T2 SLOTTED ROTORS - XYZ SS COILOVERS - CUSCO STRUT BRACE - quarter 13.42@100MPH
Gtb08

Car: 2008 GT-B Liberty Auto

Postby Beno » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:21 pm

Ill have a look at whats around on how to and give it a crack. Ive got a turbo blanket ordered and thanks for the heads up on the heat shield.

The vf 52 i bought has a boost pill on the wastegate side and the compressor housing side. I was under the impression there should only be one on the compressor housing side ?

I also put a grimmspeed 3 port on without replacing the line that goes to the t-piece between the wastegate and compressor housing on vf46 that's on the car now. Would there be a boost pill in there as well ?

Would to many have a negative effect ?
Beno

Postby Gtb08 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:48 am

Beno wrote:Ill have a look at whats around on how to and give it a crack. Ive got a turbo blanket ordered and thanks for the heads up on the heat shield.

The vf 52 i bought has a boost pill on the wastegate side and the compressor housing side. I was under the impression there should only be one on the compressor housing side ?

I also put a grimmspeed 3 port on without replacing the line that goes to the t-piece between the wastegate and compressor housing on vf46 that's on the car now. Would there be a boost pill in there as well ?

Would to many have a negative effect ?

Matt from Kido cut out that pill when he fitted my 3 port with an immediate tune after - if it is fitted now without a tune just don't use sport# mode until then. same when you fit the turbo. if not tuned the turbo will feel laggy. As my 3 port was fitted before the turbo. i resused the exisitng hoses - so none are OE now anyway.

the part you separate is essentially the side where the waste gate door is. remove the door by taking off the little circlip on the shaft. port out from the up pipe in to the wastegate door and smooth around any rough surface around the door opening as well.
2008 OBP Liberty GT SpecB ATM - KOBE MSPORTS SILCONE INTAKE & MAF HOSES - TUSPEED 3-PORT BCS - AVO DUMP 160 CEL CAT - KIDO TUNED - ATM TRANS COOLER - KOBE MSPORTS BoV - KOBE FUEL PUMP - WG PORT N POLISHED VF52 TURBO - MISHIMOTO TB HOSE - GReddy DUAL CATCH CANS - CUSTOM REDBACK MUFFLERS - RED STITCHED LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL - DBA T2 SLOTTED ROTORS - XYZ SS COILOVERS - CUSCO STRUT BRACE - quarter 13.42@100MPH
Gtb08

Postby Beno » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:31 am

I had a look at port and polishing and looks straight foward just dont take too much or the wastegate door will get jammed.
I will definitely be doing this myself.

I have had the 3 port on for a while now and matt sent me a tune for having that on but i didnt take that pill out.
Was wondering if i should take it out now ? Still have the 46 on at the moment.
Beno

Postby vinshonz » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:36 am

Beno wrote:Thanks for reply.

didnt pay retail as i know someone that does it at home

im in melbourne so i cant help

off the top of my head you can go to turbo shops like MTQ, they have a branch in perth
or any performance mechanic workshop i guess
2008 Liberty GT Tuned by STi 27 of 250 made
PnP VF52, AVO TBE into TCP-Ti Mufflers, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, Kobe Silicone Intake + SFB, Kobe 340LPH pump,
Tuspeed 3Port, Exedy HD + lightened flywheel, some Whiteline bits & Corgiwerx bits, Zeitronix Flex Fuel Analyser Kit , e85/98 Flex fuel -Got it REX tuned

2007 WRX Tuned by STi 35 of 200 made
STi Spec C TMIC+ProcessWest splitter, AVO TBE, X3E Silicone Intake, APS CAI, TurboSmart Kompact, Walbro, GrimmSpeed 3 Port, DEFI gauges
TD05-18G 198.5kw on RTRs Dyno - SOLD
vinshonz

Car: 2008 Liberty GT TunedBySTi

Postby Gtb08 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:02 pm

Beno wrote:I had a look at port and polishing and looks straight foward just dont take too much or the wastegate door will get jammed.
I will definitely be doing this myself.

I have had the 3 port on for a while now and matt sent me a tune for having that on but i didnt take that pill out.
Was wondering if i should take it out now ? Still have the 46 on at the moment.

Maybe check with Matt on that. remove it perhaps when you fit the VF52 - he can send you a map to suit.

Here is a before and after pic. It was my final finish pic but you get the idea
Attachments
after.jpg
after.jpg (78.79 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
before.jpg
before.jpg (53.33 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
Gtb08

Postby Beno » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Thanks Gtb08.
Looks like you have done a nice job of that.
Im going down to get a dremel shortly and get into it.
I have text matt already. But i think he is busy atm.
Beno

Postby Mosti » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:18 am

Im attempting to fit my VF52 today. Is it as simple as removing the 46 and using all the existing oil feed line and coolant lines? The 52 I got did come with hard coolant lines still bolted in and some oil line (i feel like the is a piece missing)
Mosti
formerly "b4bullet"

Car: TB STi Wagon #43

Return to How do I?