Coil packs

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Coil packs

Postby phatmonk » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:09 pm

Hi,

Recently issues with the GTR under medium to hard boost misfiring had me stumped. Short story is:
- New plugs, OEM gap (1.1mm)
- New plugs, ungapped (0.8mm)
- Replacing ignitor pack.
- Checking for un-metered air. Found another problem here with K&N oil in the airbox. Replaced with paper filter and CRC AFM cleaner on both AFMs.

Net result - better but not fixed. The problem were the coil packs. Popping the boot of the pack showed dirty springs, oxidized ends and soot (?) marks. I bought a second hand set which were in better shape, but here is the secret sauce - dielectric grease. A generous amount of dielectric grease around the "nozzle" part of the coil pack and then where the boot meets pack and it hasn't skipped a beat since! Also, before greasing it up and re-assembling they copped a can of contact cleaner. Anyhow, this is a Liberty forum.

I'm about to swap plugs in the Liberty for the first time. Only having Googled what the coil packs look like, I'm curious if the boot separates from the pack itself? I'm also curious if anyone else here does this? The word "dielectric" returns no results!

How the GTR ran before and after is like chalk and cheese. Beside no misfiring, revving/accelerated smoother, engine sounded smoother and there was less backfiring out the exhaust. If the boot separates from the pack in the Liberty, I'm putting grease on it!

Cheers!
Attachments
Coil3a.jpg
Coil3a.jpg (251.55 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Coil2a.jpg
Coil2a.jpg (222.82 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Coil1a.jpg
Coil1a.jpg (252.36 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
phatmonk

Car: MY07 Lib GTB, R33 GTR, Octavia vRS

Re: Coil packs

Postby fedaykin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:33 am

Yeah on the GT-Rs, heat kills the coilpacks. I replaced mine with YellowJackets haha (standard engine + factory boost).
I think people usually buy new ones. But you can be the first !
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:06 am

Where'd you get the dielectric grease?

When you refurb your lib coil packs, make sure the loom socket has an intact lock barb, if not, replace the coil pack or use a ziptie to hold the plug in.
Very slightly twist the pins after cleaning them to promote continuity to the loom plug :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby phatmonk » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:25 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Where'd you get the dielectric grease?

Bought at Supercheap - http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Produc ... -oz/379868
I've seen larger tubes too... maybe Jaycar?

bigBADbenny wrote:When you refurb your lib coil packs, make sure the loom socket has an intact lock barb, if not, replace the coil pack or use a ziptie to hold the plug in.
Very slightly twist the pins after cleaning them to promote continuity to the loom plug :)

I'm planning to swap out the plugs after Xmas. What you've said will probably make more sense when I eyeball the coil packs. I've honestly no idea what I'm getting into here :)
Have had a few of these land last week - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162136062454 - "2/5/10M 6LED Waterproof USB Endoscope Inspection Borescope HD Camera Android PC". Besides sticking it in my son's ear, I'll put it to use when the day comes!
phatmonk

Postby phatmonk » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:59 pm

Well, know when you are beat. Three of the four plugs were changed with me waving the white flag on the back passenger side. For love, reefing on a hydraulic jack bar between the body and block and praying I just couldn't get it out. Time to ask the mechanic to change one plug...

But, the coil packs. Happy to post pics but they come apart with pretty much the same internals as the pics in the OP. They were all putrid, especially the front passenger side. I assume from oil dripping when filling.

One small tube of dielectric grease is more than enough. Two rings around the nipple, above and below the flange while the plastic boot is off then a small rings to seal it up after sliding a boot on. The contact cleaner cleaned up the coil packs nicely and removed the white haze in the plastic boot.

Asides from a run up/down the street, the car hasn't been driven. Can't comment if it is running same or better, definitely not worse!
phatmonk

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:39 pm

Strange... Iirc the trick is to turn em 180' both laterally and longitudaly, then slip em out along the frame rail. Eurrrgh!
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to How do I?