ignition issues

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

ignition issues

Postby ashayk » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:06 am

Hi,

First time posting and looking for a little experienced help. I have a 99 Liberty 2.0 manual. She's old, but she's mine, and she runs well. I have a very strange, intermittent issue with the ignition. Put key in ignition, go to turn over, nothing happens. This can happen once, and then the next turn starts her up (without removing the key). Sometimes everything works fine for a week or more with absolutely no problems. Or, it can go on for several tries with nothing happening. By nothing, I mean the key turns completely through, i maybe feel a tiny pulse through the clutch and there's a tiny click, but otherwise no sound, nothing. The battery is fine (checked by mechanic). The wiring harness was redone. Lately, it's been getting worse but still not reproducible. It definitely feels like either an electrical issue or maybe something mechanical with the ignition/tumbler assembly. At this point, just looking for advice from someone who might have experienced the same problem.

Thanks much.
ashayk

Car: Liberty

Re: ignition issues

Postby muzza » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:51 am

Things that spring to mind are a dodgy relay in the starter circuit, poor/worn/dirty contacts in the ignition barrel, or the old voltage-drop to the starter solenoid (which shouldn't occur if there is already a relay switching full battery voltage through to the solenoid).

Beyond that, the starter solenoid could be investigated, and then the immobiliser set-up/key recognition could be screwy.
Muzza
MY13 GT wagon auto - SOLD.
MY19 Golf R wagon current
muzza

Car: MY23 Tiguan R

Re: ignition issues

Postby Jake.h71 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:31 pm

I've had similar issues with an old falcon, I just put it down to the starter solenoid, you might want to have it looked at just for piece of mind.
Jake.h71

Car: o4 liberty

Return to How do I?