Subaru Liberty 2004 Overheating badly

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Subaru Liberty 2004 Overheating badly

Postby jacksgotalib » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:36 pm

Hi there guys, how's it all going? Been on the forums a few times now for advice etc and thought I'd join!

I've been unable to find any information on my car a 2004 Subaru Liberty 3L Auto Sedan regarding overheating when idling and when in traffic. If I'm sitting for longer than 5 minutes the temperature gauge in my car dramatically increases quickly to the extent of the red level. I'm not too familiar with cars/subarus in general apart from the basic..I'm interested in learning and I'd like to find out what's happening with my car. I've owned the car for over a year, purchased at 130ks from a elderly man, since then I have put on 40ks and done a little bit of work including putting a new radiator in because of the last one shitting itself.

I've noticed that my car is leaking a little bit of oil and coolant. The coolant gets depleted after a day or two of driving (approximately 1-2 hours driving in that time). I have a strong smell of coolant whilst driving, as well as when the car is off. The radiator fans work when the car is running and when idling a bit, but then turn off after a while of sitting. I've had mates tell me it could be my water pump, my radiator shitting itself and even possible the head gasket which I'm praying it's not because of the price tag that carries. Any advice or information will be appreciated!

I've also had my radio stop playing sound in the last couple of days, it turns on and everything, goes to fm/cd etc but no sound is being produced..is this a warning idicator byhaps? Or simply just a cord shitting itself/possibly being knocked out or something?

Thanks in advance, Jack, will be grateful for all advice and info shared :D
jacksgotalib

Car: 2004 Subaru Liberty 3L Auto Sedan

Re: Subaru Liberty 2004 Overheating badly

Postby jacksgotalib » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:36 pm

Any ideas guys?
jacksgotalib

Postby Surge » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:03 pm

Going to say it that it's probably the head gasket..

You could try a leakdown test. Or also a test for hydrocarbons in the coolant.

Sure it's probably worth diagnosing the smaller thongs first. For example if it's a leaking heater core then bypass that.

Change the thermostat with a genuine one. Could try the changing the radiator cap as well.
Make sure all the hoses are good and clamps are on correctly.

But subaru engines are known to do headgaskets.

I know the feeling though. I've had headgaskets go on several subarus I've owned. One which I bought from a dealer without warranty (car had over 150,000km on it), head gasket was bad and found out within a couple of weeks of owning it.
Surge

Car: 2010 lib GT 5eat

Postby jacksgotalib » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:18 pm

Surge wrote:Going to say it that it's probably the head gasket..

You could try a leakdown test. Or also a test for hydrocarbons in the coolant.

Sure it's probably worth diagnosing the smaller thongs first. For example if it's a leaking heater core then bypass that.

Change the thermostat with a genuine one. Could try the changing the radiator cap as well.
Make sure all the hoses are good and clamps are on correctly.

But subaru engines are known to do headgaskets.

I know the feeling though. I've had headgaskets go on several subarus I've owned. One which I bought from a dealer without warranty (car had over 150,000km on it), head gasket was bad and found out within a couple of weeks of owning it.

Shit..:/ Yeah I'm thinking it's the head gasket as well..even though my car only has 170k kms on the clock and always serviced at 7.5-8.5k kms travelled...I'm the third owner as well, owned by older people before me, I don't drive it too hard in my own opinion, apart from the odd spurt here and there.....but fuck lol. I took it for a service the other day and a check up and they didn't find any leaking hoses, clamps or any leaking of coolant...however my coolant leaks most mornings when I check underneath the car before work and sometimes have to top it up..He did a pressure test on the radiator and it was fine..

Would my car stop running eventually if I left the head gasket go for too long? Would it potentially damage anything else?

And would it be best to get the head gasket repaired or get a new reconditioned engine/new engine?

Thanks for the reply man, appreciate it a lot! Anyone else that could give me a little bit more of an idea would be perfect/and reply to the above ^ 8)
jacksgotalib

Postby Lane » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:14 am

These cars may be susceptible to head gaskets but always check the basics first.

When you say you have coolant on the ground after is is parked up where is it? Can you trace the source?

Does it blow white smoke indicating it is burning coolant?

Have you checked the radiator cap? If it's not holding pressure it will leak and cause overheating symptoms.

Most water pumps have a weep hole to drain water from the bearing housing once the seal starts to leak, check this also.
Lane

Car: BMW 335i & RSV4 Factory

Postby jacksgotalib » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Lane wrote:These cars may be susceptible to head gaskets but always check the basics first.

When you say you have coolant on the ground after is is parked up where is it? Can you trace the source?

Does it blow white smoke indicating it is burning coolant?

Have you checked the radiator cap? If it's not holding pressure it will leak and cause overheating symptoms.

Most water pumps have a weep hole to drain water from the bearing housing once the seal starts to leak, check this also.

I cannot trace the source of the leaking coolant no, I had it serviced and checked over the other day and the fella couldn't find any indication of leaking coolant, he checked all the hoses/clamps etc and did a pressure test and still found nothing.
I see the leaking coolant on other parts of the car from underneath the bonnet and also on the road as well as on the plastic underneath the car where it drips from. There is no smoke coming from my exhaust whether it be burning coolant or the head gasket smoking. Yeah I've checked the radiator cap, it seems to have a little bit of coolant on it underneath the hot sticker..seems as if it couldn't be holding the pressure maybe? I'm taking it to John French Motors in Wooloongabba on Thursday a renown Subaru mechanic. I'll suss out the water pump weep hole. Hoping it's anything but the head gasket haha, that'll be my dirtbike money gone to fix me car!

Thanks for your help mate :)
jacksgotalib

Postby Surge » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:58 pm

The bubbles in the coolant are probably pushing it out of the top of the overflow bottle.

Then it slowely leaks down past the plastic undertray.

I would say driving around like this is fine if you monitor the temp with an app like torque and a bluetooth obd adapter. Maybe set an alarm/warning for anything over 100c.

If you get the engine too hot you will cook it. Probably warp the heads.

I would get the head gaskets changed if you can afford to do it.

An engine swap can work if it's a low km engine. The problem is that you will struggle to find a good example and anything else will probably leak as well.
Last edited by Surge on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surge

Postby jacksgotalib » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:54 pm

Took it to John French Motors today and all it needed was a heater bypass, a couple hoses and a new thermostat...I'll report back after the weekend if this has fixed the overheating as I'm going down to the Goldy for a fish this weekend and up Esk ways for the long weekend! Can't believe the fella I took it to the other week didn't notice the splits in the hoses or even found any leaking coolant...wouldn't recommend Wishart Car Care! I'll be going to John French from now on 100%.
jacksgotalib

Postby Surge » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:25 pm

Good update, Hopefully that has fixed it for you.
Surge

Postby WIDELOAD » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:42 am

jacksgotalib wrote: I'll be going to John French from now on 100%.

Just be wary of Andrew.
He get's handsy after a couple of beers. :lol:
WIDELOAD

Car: MY08 GT Spec B

Postby jacksgotalib » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:34 pm

Uh bad news fellas, it's overheating again...coolants full, car has oil..any ideas? It's very hot but it shouldn't be overheating
jacksgotalib

Postby vinshonz » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:39 pm

air in coolant system? let it idle with top radiator cap off to purge them out

open your oil filler cap see if there coolant or milky in there?

you sure theres no leaks?
2008 Liberty GT Tuned by STi 27 of 250 made
PnP VF52, AVO TBE into TCP-Ti Mufflers, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, Kobe Silicone Intake + SFB, Kobe 340LPH pump,
Tuspeed 3Port, Exedy HD + lightened flywheel, some Whiteline bits & Corgiwerx bits, Zeitronix Flex Fuel Analyser Kit , e85/98 Flex fuel -Got it REX tuned

2007 WRX Tuned by STi 35 of 200 made
STi Spec C TMIC+ProcessWest splitter, AVO TBE, X3E Silicone Intake, APS CAI, TurboSmart Kompact, Walbro, GrimmSpeed 3 Port, DEFI gauges
TD05-18G 198.5kw on RTRs Dyno - SOLD
vinshonz

Car: 2008 Liberty GT TunedBySTi

Postby jacksgotalib » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:46 pm

vinshonz wrote:air in coolant system? let it idle with top radiator cap off to purge them out

open your oil filler cap see if there coolant or milky in there?

you sure theres no leaks?

The radiator cap yeah? Not the overfill/coolant resorvoir on the side?
I'll check all of these. I'm certain there's no leaks, hoses are new, all clamps are on and there's no leaking on the ground, coolant stays on the same level doesn't go down.
Thanks mate
jacksgotalib

Postby vinshonz » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:38 pm

this one

2008 Liberty GT Tuned by STi 27 of 250 made
PnP VF52, AVO TBE into TCP-Ti Mufflers, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, Kobe Silicone Intake + SFB, Kobe 340LPH pump,
Tuspeed 3Port, Exedy HD + lightened flywheel, some Whiteline bits & Corgiwerx bits, Zeitronix Flex Fuel Analyser Kit , e85/98 Flex fuel -Got it REX tuned

2007 WRX Tuned by STi 35 of 200 made
STi Spec C TMIC+ProcessWest splitter, AVO TBE, X3E Silicone Intake, APS CAI, TurboSmart Kompact, Walbro, GrimmSpeed 3 Port, DEFI gauges
TD05-18G 198.5kw on RTRs Dyno - SOLD
vinshonz

Car: 2008 Liberty GT TunedBySTi

Return to How do I?