Adjust HID headlight level MY07

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Adjust HID headlight level MY07

Postby dwayne » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:35 am

Hi All,

I've searched, but not been able to find any results - I need to adjust the HID headlight level/angle in my MY07. There's no manual adjust (from inside the cabin anyway) as there is supposed to be an automatic adjustment.

The little auto adjust light comes on for a few seconds when I start the car. The issue is that the lights simply don't project far enough ahead - they seem to be angled excessively downwards, and the beams cut off around 2 car lengths in front of the car. This is completely unsuitable for nighttime driving, even at low speeds.

So... anyone know how to adjust them ?

Thanks

Dwayne
dwayne

Car: MY07 OBP 6MT GTBSTi

Postby gtspec » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:36 am

have the same issue with my car also..

i didnt know it has an auto adjustment feature..

Keen on a solution too
gtspec

Car: MY07 GT SpecB

Postby senator » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:49 am

just about to ask the same question..

two ways to get throw from you head lights.....

1) there is a globe upgrade sold through Subaru...... but this will not really help you much,

2) you can manually adjust your head lights with a bolt found at the bottom of the light assembly (I think you need to remove the air box on the LH side and Remove the washer bottle neck on RH), this will physically prop the lights up.

before you ask............... I have yet to investigate myself..... so my description might be a little off. But I know Sunday driver has had his lights adjusted using method 2.
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby coyote » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:12 am

Mine were also pointing straight at the ground. I figured it should have been checked pre-delivery (given how much they charge), so took it back to the delivering dealer and asked for it to be adjusted.

** Team Tony **
coyote

Postby Arith » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:33 am

The auto adjust feature is quite useless if the headlight is sitting a bit crooked. I too have the headlights pointing a bit too low for proper road vision, so I've had to re-adjust them back up a bit.

Just pop the bonnet, and look at the headlight from the top view. You'll see these teeth that look like a saw. Just put a philips screw driver in there and twist to adjust.

There are 2 points, one for up and down, and the other for left and right. If you look closely at the headlight body, you'll see tiny symbols that tell which is which (up/down arrows or left/right arrows). If no one has any immediate pics to post up, I can take a pic and post it up tonight to illustrate.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby gtspec » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:51 am

Arith wrote:The auto adjust feature is quite useless if the headlight is sitting a bit crooked. I too have the headlights pointing a bit too low for proper road vision, so I've had to re-adjust them back up a bit.

Just pop the bonnet, and look at the headlight from the top view. You'll see these teeth that look like a saw. Just put a philips screw driver in there and twist to adjust.

There are 2 points, one for up and down, and the other for left and right. If you look closely at the headlight body, you'll see tiny symbols that tell which is which (up/down arrows or left/right arrows). If no one has any immediate pics to post up, I can take a pic and post it up tonight to illustrate.

ohh nice, will this physically move the whole headlight or just the internal parts?
gtspec

Postby Arith » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:22 am

It will only adjust the internal projector inside the headlight housing.

Arith
-stickered-

Postby gtspec » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:55 am

Arith wrote:It will only adjust the internal projector inside the headlight housing.

exactly the words i wanted to hear hehehe big thanks Arith.. will try this tonight :lol:

sorry dwayne if ive kinda taken over ur thread, but i hope my questions have help u also
gtspec

Postby Arith » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:34 am

Here are some generic pics which might help. Sorry, but it's late and I was too lazy to remove the intake duct for a closer look at the 2nd adjustment point. But you get the idea.

Overhead view of driver side headlight. Circled are the adjustment points which sit behind the headlight housing. The intake duct will need to be removed to access the inner adjustment point.

Insert a philips screwdriver in between the teeth and the housing, and twist to adjust. In this case, the left and right adjustment. Turn on your headlights and keep an eye on the focal point and it moves.

A close-up of the outer adjustment point. Note the arrows which indicate this will adjust the headlights left and right. The inner adjustment point should have an indicator to say it adjusts the up and down.
Last edited by Arith on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arith
-stickered-

Postby dwayne » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:21 am

Thanks for such a great post Jim !

Have been out tonight and will be out tomorrow night - so will have a go at adjusting Friday evening.

Cheers

Dwayne
dwayne

Car: MY07 OBP 6MT GTBSTi

Postby gtspec » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:59 am

Great work Arith, thanks for going through the effort of uploading some photos..

So if these can be adjusted this way.. what does the auto adjust feature do hehe :lol:
gtspec

Postby EJ25 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:09 am

maybe there should be a meetup for adjusting headlights. Im in.
EJ25

Postby Arith » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:13 am

Well to my understanding, the auto adjust feature is meant to re-align the headlights whenever you go on an incline or decline. It's one of the two requirements of having HID lighting (the other being having a washer/spray/wiper to clean the headlights in case it gets too dirty because it causes glare to oncoming drivers. That's why it's technically illegal to fit a HID kit into a halogen housing because it doesn't have these features).

When you go on an incline, this sometimes will blind oncoming traffic because your headlights are pointed upward. The auto adjust allows for the headlights to dip down a bit so that it's not so blinding. Of course I could be wrong and if I am someone please correct me. :D

Arith
-stickered-

Postby senator » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:23 am

i notice the auto feature and hear the servo running when hooking up my trailer on the tow bar.
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby jdm rsk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:31 pm

i thaught the auto adjustment is when you are towing or there are heavy people in the rear and the back of your car goes lower your headlights adjust down not to blind on coming cars...shane
Arith wrote:Well to my understanding, the auto adjust feature is meant to re-align the headlights whenever you go on an incline or decline. It's one of the two requirements of having HID lighting (the other being having a washer/spray/wiper to clean the headlights in case it gets too dirty because it causes glare to oncoming drivers. That's why it's technically illegal to fit a HID kit into a halogen housing because it doesn't have these features).

When you go on an incline, this sometimes will blind oncoming traffic because your headlights are pointed upward. The auto adjust allows for the headlights to dip down a bit so that it's not so blinding. Of course I could be wrong and if I am someone please correct me. :D
jdm rsk
formerly legacy rsk

Car: MY 11 VW Golf GTI ED35

Next

Return to How do I?