'08 Outback Fails to Start

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

'08 Outback Fails to Start

Postby grey07outback » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:55 pm

Hi All,

Member for a while but just watching....

Anyway the problem at hand - Please help.

2007 MY08 2.5i outback 5 speed manual
Failed to start in the carpark, cranked away for about 20 minutes off and on to ensure no overheating of the starter motor. It got going and the fuel level was low so assumed it needed filling and the pump wasn't able to grab enough fuel.
Went to petrol station - filled tank up and the car failed to start again.
Got the RACV out and after checking spark and battery, service guy hits fuel tank and the car coughed a bit more - pronounced dead fuel pump.

Okay so got car home and pulled the pump out of it - there has been a short from the pump and the wiring is a bit blackened on the earth pin to the pump.
I can hear the relay clicking. Pulled the bucket with the filter and pump apart and fitted a new filter and a new pump (ebay reasonable priced one not the dirt cheap versions).
Installed to the tank, bolted all in and ran the pump - there is fuel flowing however still the same problem - cranks and seems to almost catch but no go.

This outback has the syphon line from the passenger side across to the drivers side and the single out of the tank to the engine compartment

Immobiliser key is fine - red when out of the car and when putting the key back in it.

Battery was struggling so have fitted new battery, also checked the crankshaft sensor and it tests in at 1,999 Ohm so in spec.
Car has 364,000km on it and is looked after quite well. Confirmed that there is spark - pulled lead wire from coil and watched using spark plug and spare spark plug lead.

I've ordered a second hand fuel pump assembly to try and will see if this gets me back on the road....

Any help or ideas would be great!
MY08 Outback
Lots of Hondas

Outer East Melb
grey07outback

Re: '08 Outback Fails to Start

Postby norbs » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:58 pm

Check fuel pressure post regulator. Check compression.
'05 Lib GT with a few mods :-)
norbs

Re: '08 Outback Fails to Start - Updated

Postby grey07outback » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:32 am

Okay so all fixed now on the Outback.

I got the second hand assembly put that into the fuel tank, 3 cranks and away we go.
Seems that there is something not right either in the wiring to the fuel pump (from the connector to pump) or the new aftermarket pump is not pushing hard enough.
All other wiring was checked prior to the aftermarket being put into place so just not sure......

All resolved and a bit of a lesson maybe in an assembly versus a part.
MY08 Outback
Lots of Hondas

Outer East Melb
grey07outback

Return to How do I?