Clutch slipping

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Clutch slipping

Postby Whitey » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:30 am

Hey guys,

So unfortunately my recent purchase feels more lemony by the day... My MY08 2.5i I've been driving for a couple of weeks started having the clutch slip yesterday.

Luckily, I was around the corner from a fairly reputable mechanic who works almost exclusively on Subarus - never been to him, but I know people in the WRX club who've been there a bunch of times. Took it to him and he said the cost will be just under or just over $1000.

He explained that he'll need to take out the transmission to get to the clutch plate, and the thrust bearing wears down super quickly on these models once the clutch starts slipping. He's also told me he'll be ordering the kit which is the same brand as Subaru use in the factory (I can't recall which brand he said).

Does this sound reasonable for parts and labour? Is there anything else I should be considering getting completed while he's there, or specific kits to look at?

I'm a bit miffed, as it happened AS I was driving back from VicRoads after paying my transfer fee, and I've already had to replace the battery on the car since I bought it.

Thanks!
Whitey

Car: MY08 Liberty 2.5i

Re: Clutch slipping

Postby BillyCorgi » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:59 am

For a 2.5i (non-turbo) there is debate as to which is the easiest.
On this model I would prefer to lift the engine out to do the clutch rather than drop the transmission.
Personal choice, as this is what my equipment leans towards.

Also, for a 2.5i. I would be replacing the head gaskets while the engine is out and also having a good look at the cambelt and idler pulleys, etc.
The OEM head gaskests are POS and will fail with an external oil leak. Not IF but WHEN they fail.

The clutch kit your man is going to get will be an Exdey and for the 2.5i is under $500 for friction plate, clutch cover and throw out bearing
Excedy kit number FJK-7626 for the 2.5i with flex-flywheel.

Some Reading for you.....
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=31397&hilit=+junior
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=31384&hilit=+junior

Enjoy!
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby Whitey » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:07 pm

Thanks Peter! From what I've read, you appear to be one of the most informative people on this forum!

Ok great, so that price sounds reasonable - $400 worth of labour + markup on part. I'm pretty sure you're right - Excedy sounds like what he said!

Timing belt was replaced about 30,000kms ago thankfully, so I don't think that'll be an issue. He did mention the gasket with the coating going bad in that model - popped his head into the bonnet to have a look. According to him, it's the passenger side one that goes and leaks oil, but he said it's in pretty good condition. Next time the engine is out though I'll definitely look into the replacement of that though.

Would 11044AA642 be the right part for the 2.5i non turbo replacement? I might see if I can find some online cheap in the next few months and hold onto them.
Whitey

Car: MY08 Liberty 2.5i

Postby BillyCorgi » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:56 pm

Whitey wrote:He did mention the gasket with the coating going bad in that model - popped his head into the bonnet to have a look. According to him, it's the passenger side one that goes and leaks oil

Would 11044AA642 be the right part for the 2.5i non turbo replacement? I might see if I can find some online cheap in the next few months and hold onto them.

On Gen3 engines, it is usually the passengers side that develops the oil leaks first.
On Gen4 Libertys, where the exhaust is routed around the front of the engine and where the cat converter is located under the driver's side head, it is the driver's side that usually develops the oil leak first.
This may be due to the additional heat from the cat converter increasing the rate of expansion/contraction movement of the head and block that generally wears the gasket coating away.

11044AA642 is the part number of the earlier model 2.5 litre TURBO head gasket. This is a Viton coated Multi-Layer-Shim gasket which is more up to it.
The 11044AA642 is the correct shape for the Gen4 EJ253 NA engine
If the original POS head gasket is used, it will require changing again some time in the future. It will suffer a similar fate.

I only use the MLS gaskets as replacements.
I also sometime use the 11044AA770 MLS gaskets from the later model turbos.
These gaskets can be modified slightly to fit, and if they come for the right price (?) then they are also acceptable.
I watch this ebay seller for MLS head gaskets http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/aus-autopart?rt=nc
If this seller has MLS gaskets then sometimes I source head gaskets destined for my EJ25 NA engines from here.
Hope that this helps.
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby Whitey » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:15 pm