How to block rear bumper sensor holes?

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

How to block rear bumper sensor holes?

Postby Petrolhad » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:27 pm

Hey guys. Recently some drunk idiot decided to smash into the back of my parked car and the rear bumper was destroyed. I have sourced out a used rear bumper from the wreckers but unfortunately, it has some sensor holes into it, without any actual sensors. There are 3 holes spaced out across the bumper.

What can I do to make it disappear? my car doesn't have a factory or aftermarket sensors integrated into it. Any DIY ideas? I am after all on a budget.

Thanks all
Petrolhad

Car: MY04 Liberty

Re: How to block rear bumper sensor holes?

Postby muzza » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:10 pm

DIY cheap: hole-saw the correct diameter plastic discs from your old bumper, use liquid nails and aluminium sheet to reinforce from the back (clean down area to be glued in back with solvent first), then stick the discs into the hole onto the aluminium sheet with more liquid nails. Should be minimal gap if you size discs right and will look like sensors assuming the new and old bar are same colour. Touch up edges with paint as needed.

OR clean entire outside and inside around patches with solvent, fibreglass/resin from the back to bridge the hole (either woven glass sheet or reo-fill) then plastic bog from the front in several thin layers sand smooth between, spray fill, fine sand, undercoat and respray entire bar. You can use colour matched cans but don't expect a perfect result unless you are gifted sprayer!
Muzza
MY13 GT wagon auto - SOLD.
MY19 Golf R wagon current
muzza

Car: MY19 Golf R wagon

Re: How to block rear bumper sensor holes?

Postby triston » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:46 pm

You could just buy a cheap set of reverse sensors to plug the hole, even i you don't wire them up, probably get a set from ebay <$20
triston

Car: 08 GT-B tuned by Sti

Return to How do I?