Liberty 4G STI Conversion

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Liberty 4G STI Conversion

Postby Stormy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:10 am

I couldn't find anything on the forums when I searched so I was wondering if anyone has done a STI conversion on the 4th generation Liberty?

Such as a engine/drivetrain swap who could point/link me in the right direction.

Thanks
Stormy

Re: Liberty 4G STI Conversion

Postby HardwareBoB » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:40 am

To what end? heaps of people have put STi long and short blocks in a gen4 liberty, but the suspension is different enough that you can't just put STi hubs in.

The H6 and postface manuals already come with the 85mm 6 speed, and some people have also put STi DCDD 6 speeds in as well.

It also depends what car you're starting from. Pre-face is dual AVCS so you can put in a late model STi engine, but post-face is single AVCS.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby alexeiwoody » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:04 am

Maybe the OP is talking about the tbSti, not an actual Sti?

And :lol: you finally used the "85mm 6 speed" :D
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby HardwareBoB » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:22 am

alexeiwoody wrote:Maybe the OP is talking about the tbSti, not an actual Sti?

I've been using it for some time :P
HardwareBoB

Postby alexeiwoody » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:25 am

HardwareBoB wrote:
alexeiwoody wrote:Maybe the OP is talking about the tbSti, not an actual Sti?

I've been using it for some time :P

I thought you'd say that. This is the first time I've seen it used publicly.

Screenshots or it didn't happen. :assassin:
alexeiwoody

Postby HardwareBoB » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:26 am

alexeiwoody wrote:Screenshots or it didn't happen. :assassin:

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31917

Apologies to OP for crapping on your thread :lol:
HardwareBoB

Postby Stormy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:22 pm

So if I got a pre-face I could put say a EJ257 STI engine in it?

And would it be better off swapping the ECU to the STI one?

Also what else would need to be done besides the transmission and engine such as drivetrain, suspension, etc. so I can get a list going
Stormy

Postby HardwareBoB » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:37 pm

Stormy wrote:So if I got a pre-face I could put say a EJ257 STI engine in it?

And would it be better off swapping the ECU to the STI one?

Also what else would need to be done besides the transmission and engine such as drivetrain, suspension, etc. so I can get a list going

Why?
What are you trying to do?
There's no need to change the ECU - that's part of the point. Also an EJ207 is better in many ways than the EJ257, but it depends what you want to do.

The postfacelift ECU can do flex fuel, whereas the preface can't, there's a bunch of other differences - Saying "I want to put an STi in my liberty" is weird starting point - you're much better off with a power/speed/handling target.

Also no matter what you do in terms of the things we're talking about, they won't be cheap.
HardwareBoB

Postby Stormy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:07 pm

What are the major benefits between the EJ207 and EJ257?
I just want a perfect DD which I can take on mountain runs and maybe to a track day in the future
Pretty much I want a 2011 STI but I much prefer the look of the 4th gen Liberty
The best way to go about it seems to be getting a donor car
Stormy

Postby HardwareBoB » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:39 pm

Very simply -

207 - higher revs, lower torque, better heads. (2.0 engine)
257 - more low down torque. (2.5 engine)

generally similar power.

But there's a lot more to it (and also note that often people say EJ207 or EJ257 and mean the short block, and other times talking about the entire engine.)

I would recommend:

* Post facelift manual (6MT) liberty GT sedan or wagon.

The primary reason to get post-facelift is to get the 6MT. If you get a 5MT pre-facelift, it'll be a bit cheaper, and for 200kw will probably be ok, but you'll want to convert it to a 6 speed (which is pretty straightforward if it's manual to start with)

Shared modifications to build this DD/mountain run/track day car.
* Shockworks from owen here on the forums. You can also get MCAs, but I think the shockworks are better BFYB (which was always the point of the project)
* Whiteline bushes, anti lift kit, roll centre adjustment kit.
* Strut brace, master cylinder stopper.
* Braided brake lines
* High quality brake fluid
* Your choice of either upgraded pads and rotors (project mu hc800/DBA T3) or brembos (with the same setup) if you want the extra bling - you'll still get great times on the stock brakes.
* Exedy HD clutch (or other clutch, but I've had the exedy HD and it's been fine)
* STi Group N gearbox mount, engine mounts and pitch stop mount.
* Upgraded intercooler. TMIC is fine. The specific type is not hugely important, Process West is the market leader, but also the most expensive.
* Good tyres. Don't fuck around. Get some RS3/Advan 107/AD08R type tyres.
* Rims of your choosing (If you get brembos, you'll need rims to clear them.)
* 3" exhaust - whichever one you like
* 3" dump/cat to suit - note that the turbo flange differs from pre-facelift to post-facelift.
* To make it even more like an STi - 2015 STi steering rack to quicken up the steering. Goes double for post-facelift which has a slower rack. You can also improve this in another way with a DAMD smaller steering wheel.

Post facelift mods for standard (~200kw/98) build
* VF52
* Upgraded FPR
* 265lph Fuel pump

pre-facelift mods for standard (~200kw/98) build
* Kinugawa TD04HLA-20T
* Upgraded FPR
* 265lph Fuel pump

Past this is when you're looking at putting in an EJ207 (for preface) or EJ257 (for post-facelift) short block (that is - keep your own heads). You would do the following mods at the same time to get you to 250+kw
* ID1000 injectors (top feed conversion necesssary for pre-facelift)
* Upgraded FPR
* E85
* 340LPH fuel pump
* Suitable turbo - will need different headers/up-pipe and downpipe flange for pre-facelift as it's a unique setup, so you'll need to change to either STi twin scroll, or 'standard' single scroll. You an also go twist mount or low mount at this point, which would give you much better flow, and you can choose from any turbo you like.

This is a pretty broad overview - obviously there's heaps of options, and there's probably a few things I've missed above. My point is though, there is no need to make a liberty into an STi - in many ways they are very similar to an STi already (and in many ways - they are not. An STi with the same money/mods will always win).

I think you should see if you can test drive some, and ask a local member who has a modified car very nicely if they can take you for a drive (or wait until we have a cruise and see if you can go passenger in multiple cars to compare). This should give you more context for where you want to start/end.
HardwareBoB

Postby alexeiwoody » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:56 pm

HardwareBoB wrote:Very simply -

207 - higher revs, lower torque, better heads. (2.0 engine)
257 - more low down torque. (2.5 engine)

generally similar power.

But there's a lot more to it (and also note that often people say EJ207 or EJ257 and mean the short block, and other times talking about the entire engine.)

I would recommend:

* Post facelift manual (6MT) liberty GT sedan or wagon.

The primary reason to get post-facelift is to get the 6MT. If you get a 5MT pre-facelift, it'll be a bit cheaper, and for 200kw will probably be ok, but you'll want to convert it to a 6 speed (which is pretty straightforward if it's manual to start with)

Shared modifications to build this DD/mountain run/track day car.
* Shockworks from owen here on the forums. You can also get MCAs, but I think the shockworks are better BFYB (which was always the point of the project)
* Whiteline bushes, anti lift kit, roll centre adjustment kit.
* Strut brace, master cylinder stopper.
* Braided brake lines
* High quality brake fluid
* Your choice of either upgraded pads and rotors (project mu hc800/DBA T3) or brembos (with the same setup) if you want the extra bling - you'll still get great times on the stock brakes.
* Exedy HD clutch (or other clutch, but I've had the exedy HD and it's been fine)
* STi Group N gearbox mount, engine mounts and pitch stop mount.
* Upgraded intercooler. TMIC is fine. The specific type is not hugely important, Process West is the market leader, but also the most expensive.
* Good tyres. Don't fuck around. Get some RS3/Advan 107/AD08R type tyres.
* Rims of your choosing (If you get brembos, you'll need rims to clear them.)
* 3" exhaust - whichever one you like
* 3" dump/cat to suit - note that the turbo flange differs from pre-facelift to post-facelift.
* To make it even more like an STi - 2015 STi steering rack to quicken up the steering. Goes double for post-facelift which has a slower rack. You can also improve this in another way with a DAMD smaller steering wheel.

Post facelift mods for standard (~200kw/98) build
* VF52
* Upgraded FPR
* 265lph Fuel pump

pre-facelift mods for standard (~200kw/98) build
* Kinugawa TD04HLA-20T
* Upgraded FPR
* 265lph Fuel pump

Past this is when you're looking at putting in an EJ207 (for preface) or EJ257 (for post-facelift) short block (that is - keep your own heads). You would do the following mods at the same time to get you to 250+kw
* ID1000 injectors (top feed conversion necesssary for pre-facelift)
* Upgraded FPR
* E85
* 340LPH fuel pump
* Suitable turbo - will need different headers/up-pipe and downpipe flange for pre-facelift as it's a unique setup, so you'll need to change to either STi twin scroll, or 'standard' single scroll. You an also go twist mount or low mount at this point, which would give you much better flow, and you can choose from any turbo you like.

This is a pretty broad overview - obviously there's heaps of options, and there's probably a few things I've missed above. My point is though, there is no need to make a liberty into an STi - in many ways they are very similar to an STi already (and in many ways - they are not. An STi with the same money/mods will always win).

I think you should see if you can test drive some, and ask a local member who has a modified car very nicely if they can take you for a drive (or wait until we have a cruise and see if you can go passenger in multiple cars to compare). This should give you more context for where you want to start/end.

Hi Matthew, great post!

I'm looking to do the same thing, just wondering if you're able to take me for a ride in your liberty sometime soon so I can see what all those mods turn the lib into? Let me know, cheers! :mrgreen:
alexeiwoody

Postby HardwareBoB » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:23 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:Hi Matthew, great post!

I'm looking to do the same thing, just wondering if you're able to take me for a ride in your liberty sometime soon so I can see what all those mods turn the lib into? Let me know, cheers! :mrgreen:

A very expensive lawn ornament :)

edit: also - come over any time and make broom broom noises in the car. No steering wheel at the moment, so it's not much fun yet.
HardwareBoB

Postby Stormy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:03 pm

Thanks for that, I'll be sure to reconsider my options now haha, probably save me alot of $$$

Do you know of any meets or anyone around the Brisbane/Gold Coast region?

I would love to see what its like to be a passenger in a similar build
Stormy

Postby fedaykin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:40 pm

Drive your car until things break. Upgrade broken things and continue driving.
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Return to How do I?