AUX input problem

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

AUX input problem

Postby Chowden » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:55 pm

OK so I'm new here and have very little experience in the forums and just as much knowledge of my car but was hoping to fix up this problem whilst learning more about it.

I have a Liberty 07 2.5i, with Type C audio set.

I bought the car 2 years ago and finally had an aux cord put in last year as there was no obvious aux input even though there was an aux button available. So I simply went to subaru and assumed they would install a female input as shown in the diagram. However, they just installed an actual cord coming from the same spot (cost me about $120 :/...)

Now the problem is, all of a sudden my phone (plugged into said cord) is only playing properly on the right side of the car, with the left playing very softly and muffled. Ive tried the radio and that works fine on both sides so it isn't the speakers and I've also tried headphones with my phone so it isn't my phone's female jack. SO the only conclusion I can make is that its the aux cord (maybe from wear due to repeated use).

So ultimately Im looking to the knowledgable people on here for some advice on what and how to fix this problem, whether it be changing the cord, installing something etc... as I said, Im not the best with this stuff but Im willing to learn so I'm all ears!

Photos: http://imgur.com/a/vn15j
Chowden

Car: Subaru Liberty 07

Re: AUX input problem

Postby jiggabite » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:59 am

Have you checked the male to male cord which connects your phone to the jack? It could have a loose wire or connection.
If not, the female jack (input) could have a loose connection.
jiggabite

Car: MY07 Liberty GTB Sedan Pearl White

Postby Chowden » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:16 am

jiggabite wrote:Have you checked the male to male cord which connects your phone to the jack? It could have a loose wire or connection.
If not, the female jack (input) could have a loose connection.

How would I go about checking both of these?
I'm not entirely sure how I would be able to check the input, which I am guessing is on the backside of the head unit?
And what could I do to check the cord?
Chowden

Postby jiggabite » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:26 pm

Do you have a female jack you plug a 3.5mm aux cable into in your centre console?
Try a different 3.5mm aux cable and see if that works, they usually wear out after a while.
If the cable if fine, wiggle it around in the jack and see if it changes or sound works out both sides.
jiggabite

Postby Chowden » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:15 pm

jiggabite wrote:Do you have a female jack you plug a 3.5mm aux cable into in your centre console?
Try a different 3.5mm aux cable and see if that works, they usually wear out after a while.
If the cable if fine, wiggle it around in the jack and see if it changes or sound works out both sides.

Theres no female jack in the centre console, its kind of hard to see on the photo but the aux cord sort of just goes into a hole in the centre console and I cant really see or determine where it actually goes.
Chowden

Postby jiggabite » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:24 pm

Didn't see the photos the first time. Odd that Subaru didn't install the jack plate as well.
Take the centre console out carefully and see if you can replace that black cable that goes through the hole. Instructions on how to remove the console are somewhere on this forum, a quick Google search away.
jiggabite

Postby ysKn » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:39 pm

jiggabite wrote:Didn't see the photos the first time. Odd that Subaru didn't install the jack plate as well.

I thought the jack plate came with the cable that plugs into the back of the head unit.
Perhaps they didn't use the genuine cable and just retrofitted some contacts to the pins? And now the pin for the left side has become loose?
ysKn

Car: MY07 Liberty

Return to How do I?