Suspension help, Need to go lower!

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Suspension help, Need to go lower!

Postby Swipez » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi fellas,

I fitted lowered, stiffened king springs on my spec b. Someone fitted pedders in replacement of the stock bilstein struts on the front. I bought a pair of spec B billies and re-replaced them, restoring the car to its former glory. BUT, no matter how many coils I cut off the springs, (I have many sets of springs, cutting them is just for experimenting) the front of the car would simply not go any lower. I was wondering if anyone had a clue as to why? The front end is very stiff and is still 100% safely operating, it is actually very incredible to drive through the corners. It's just I wanted to virtually sit the wheel arches on top of the tyre, (not literally but close). But I can't seem to drop the front end any lower. Please help!
Last edited by Swipez on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Swipez

Car: MY07 Liberty 3.0R Spec B

Re: Suspension help, Need to go lower!

Postby Jordan.k » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:58 pm

Woah woah woah... You were chopping the springs on your spec b?

Lowering springs aren't the best for bilsteins as it may make them bottom out more often.
Invest in a pair of good coilovers like MCA blues

Or buy a pair of bilsteins with sti pink springs

Just my $0.02
ARP 2000 Headstuds | VF43 | Norm butler exhaust |
196kw Atw tuned by Matt Mcleod
Jordan.k

Car: '06 wrx
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30099

Postby Swipez » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:21 pm

Jordan.k wrote:Woah woah woah... You were chopping the springs on your spec b?

Lowering springs aren't the best for bilsteins as it may make them bottom out more often.
Invest in a pair of good coilovers like MCA blues

Or buy a pair of bilsteins with sti pink springs

Just my $0.02

Thanks Jordan. I chopped the king springs yes.... Not the stock springs. The strut diameter of these billies is literally twice the size of the pedders, and they don't really like depressing much at all. The billies will 100% not even come close to bottoming out, I guarantee that, the springs as they are now, plus the billies are far too stiff. Still exceptional ride quality. There still is enough travel anyway, they're just stiff af. And these springs are lower and stiffer than the sti pinks anyway. Hence my confusion as to why the car is not as low as I want it.

Cheers brother, regards, Jordan :)
Swipez

Postby shav » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:56 am

I don't condone cutting ANY springs firstly. It is illegal. In saying this, I reckon your bump stops could be in the way of going lower. But they are there to stop you from bottoming out. I have heard of some cutting them down, but not necessarily removing them to give the car some extra travel and reduced height.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Swipez » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:15 pm

shav wrote:I don't condone cutting ANY springs firstly. It is illegal. In saying this, I reckon your bump stops could be in the way of going lower. But they are there to stop you from bottoming out. I have heard of some cutting them down, but not necessarily removing them to give the car some extra travel and reduced height.

There are no bump stops on the billies I bought. And we are NOT bottoming out, read the initial post again and understand the information I provided. The strut is still moving, it has plenty of comfortable travel up and down. And there is 0 bottoming out. I wouldn't have made a thread unless I was absolutely puzzled. I know plenty enough about suspension, and have consulted many people, and we don't know what is happening, sane conclusion is, there is not enough downward force when parked, for the struts to be pushed any lower.
Swipez

Postby fedaykin » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:37 pm

How many coils are left? It might be fully compressed?

I'd just go with some MCAs or the new TEIN Flex-Z.
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby shav » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:09 pm

Swipez wrote:Hi fellas,

I fitted lowered, stiffened king springs on my spec b. Some moron fitted pedders in replacement of the stock bilstein struts on the front. I bought a pair of spec B billies and re-replaced them, restoring the car to its former glory. BUT, no matter how many coils I cut off the springs, the front of the car would simply not go any lower. I was wondering if anyone had a clue as to why? The front end is very stiff and is still 100% safely operating, it is actually very incredible to drive through the corners. It's just I wanted to virtually sit the wheel arches on top of the tyre, (not literally but close). But I can't seem to drop the front end any lower. Please help!

Where in this initial post did you mention you werent bottoming out on the bump stops? What you describe is quite vague and there are a number of possibilities happening. Please be more specific about your issues next time and you may get a more informed answer. :roll:

Good luck with your problem
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby gen3v8 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:49 am

The first post starts off with some moron who has paid professionals for a cheaper suspension repair. Then you fit billies with cut springs? I don't get it.
Just an old V8 fart that has seen the LIGHT
gen3v8

Car: MY09GT SPECB WAGON GEN IV 6mt

Postby fedaykin » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:57 am

He wants more lows.

Maybe order some custom springs?
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby Swipez » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:54 am

fedaykin wrote:He wants more lows.

Maybe order some custom springs?

Springs won't matter.... That's what I'm trying to say, the billies are so stiff for some reason and if I took the spring out entirely, the strut still may not even depress.
Swipez

Postby Swipez » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:16 am

And yeah it was a bit harsh for me to say moron.
Didn't think that through. Anyway, I'm not low by any means. I want to lessen the gap between the wheel arch and the top of my tyre. That's all I want. The gap is quite big even on lowered springs. It's nuts.
Swipez

Return to How do I?