MY05 Liberty 3.0 won't start after changing fuel filter

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

MY05 Liberty 3.0 won't start after changing fuel filter

Postby wagon3.0 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:46 pm

Hi

I've just taken my fuel pump out and replaced the filter with a Ryco one. I replaced all the o-rings and to my knowledge I've plumbed it all back up correctly, impossible to stuff up as all the connections are specific to themselves.

I've tried priming the system by turning the key to ignition and hearing the pump working, then off and on a few times. I can hear it prime after every time I reconnect it. When the lines are all disconnected fuel pours quickly out of the middle port of the pump, but either slowly, or not at all out of the others.

Any tips for what I could've done wrong, common mistakes, or just anything about the priming process? I've never done this before so even the most obvious tip could help.

P.S this is my first time on the forum and I've done my best to pick the right board to post in and I looked through the whole of the internet to make sure there wasn't any info on it before I posted.
wagon3.0

Car: MY05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Manual

Re: MY05 Liberty 3.0 won't start after changing fuel filter

Postby Surge » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:39 pm

One thing to keep in mind is the size of the o rings. Apparently they are different and if you get them the wrong way around then you'll lose pressure.

I had to reinstall my pump just because of that.
Surge

Car: 2010 lib GT 5eat

Postby wagon3.0 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:38 pm

Where do all of the o rings go? I've got three on thr outlets of all the hoses but I cant find where to put the 4th
wagon3.0

Postby BillyCorgi » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:53 pm

wagon3.0 wrote:.....When the lines are all disconnected fuel pours quickly out of the middle port of the pump, but either slowly, or not at all out of the others.....

For fuel pump description for prefacelift 3.0R-B follow this thread.....
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=31672

The prefacelift have a Three Port Connection fuel pump.
Working from the door side inwards.....
The extreme RHS connection is the return line from the fuel pressure regulator in the engine bay [B - below]
The centre connection is the fuel delivery port FROM the pump TO the fuel pressure regulator in the engine bay [A - below]
The LHS connection closest to the centre of the car is the connection from the sub-level-sensor to the Jet Pump. [C - below] (This transfers fuel from the well in the LHS side of the fuel tank to the pump at low fuel levels)
how to take a screen shot

O-Ring Locations

upload pic
Last edited by BillyCorgi on Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby Surge » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:08 pm

Good info here re o rings :

Edit: couldn't get pics to work so just go here and scroll down a bit;

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21043&start=225
Out6ack wrote:This was bugging me so I removed the DW65 tonight to triple check everything. I also had my laptop handy to display a bloody good downloaded workshop manual that I'd recently bought online -opened at the fuel pump page.
I noticed something within this manual's guide that I hadn't seen mentioned in either Club Lib's or NASIOC's walk through on the subject -both of which I solely referred to for my guidance during initial install.

The 4 o-rings are 2 different sizes (2X 7mm + 2X 8mm internal diameter) and MUST be installed to their correct locations or you might suffer pressure retention issues ..like I did.

I'm not to proud to raise my hand and say 'I Phukked Up!' in this instance.

I had overlooked the 1mm diameter difference between these o-rings and didn't have them located in their correct position. The walkthroughs I mentioned were very helpful and excellent guidance, but please be aware for future reference that this critical o-ring diameter and placement location is not mentioned in either guide.

So here tis..

Place a 7mm ring on the BLACK connector.
Place an 8mm ring on the WHITE connector.
image.jpg

Place an 8mm ring on the DW65c pump. (This is where you can put the additional 2nd ring.)
Align the 4 slots on the pump spacer sleeve with the 4 ribs within the basket. (Well, I did anyway..)
image.jpg

Place a 7mm ring on lower BLACK connector that feeds to the base of the basket.
image.jpg

Done.

And umm yeah, priming problem tested ...and confirmed SOLVED.
Starts up quickly whether primed or not.

**I can only speak of my own findings, but strongly suggest to anyone having priming/starting/pressure issues to quickly check the correct placement of these o-rings.**

I'll be the one in the corner with a Dunce hat on.. :roll:

Jay.

P.S. I may duplicate this post to update the 'Fuel Pump removal Gen4 Sedan' thread.
Surge

Car: 2010 lib GT 5eat

Postby wagon3.0 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:51 pm

Thanks all for your help, I should have looked through my manual better as I have those blown up diagrams in it.

I figured it out after all that, I just didn't realise that one of the o-rings was a different size from the rest as the o-rings I got with the filter were all the same size, that threw me off. Hopefully this thread helps someone else in need.
wagon3.0

Return to How do I?