Liberty GT handbrake puzzle

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Liberty GT handbrake puzzle

Postby OldNick » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:53 pm

I have a 2013 Subaru Liberty GT. It has a 2.5 engine and a turbo, but I am not sure of themore detailed model info.

Anywy, it has an electric handbrake. I discovered that if I left the handbrake on and put my foot on the accelerator pedal, the car would relese the handbrake and take off. But then I tried the other day and it would not work.Then I tried again later and it did work. The only difference I could see was that when it worked I was on tarmac, and when it did not work I was not.

What is the story here?

Thanks for any help

Nick
OldNick

Car: liberty 2.5 Premium GT wagon

Re: Liberty GT handbrake puzzle

Postby Flat6Estate » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:16 pm

Was your seatbelt on when it didn't work?
I drove a vw in Europe within,electric handbrake. It wouldn't release if the driver's seatbelt wasn't done up...
MY08 Spec B 3.0L Manual Wagon
1998 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat - a bit broken :-o
Flat6Estate
formerly Timbo_rs2500

Car: 2007 MY08 Liberty Wagon 3RB 6spd
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32189&p=425885#p425885

Postby Abuz3D » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:09 pm

If you left the hillhold function on then yes it will take off when you acccelerate.
Abuz3D

Car: GenV 2009 liberty my10

Postby OldNick » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:57 pm

AH Ok.I will check that out.I thought I had tried that and nothing lit up or went out when I pressed the button. I hope I haven't got an intermitternt fault.

Thanks

Nick
OldNick

Postby OldNick » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:23 pm

HAH! The reason "nothing was happening" was that I watching the button itself, not the dashboard...and the dashboard indicator was right behind the steering wheel for me.

But I went out onto the road and made sure the hill start was working and still it would not take off with the HB on. Then I drove down the road a way and tried again, and it worked. 8)

In my defence, this is my wife's car and I have only driven it maybe 20 times in 2+ years.

Nick
OldNick

Postby Abuz3D » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:37 pm

Glad to be of service :wink:
Abuz3D

Car: GenV 2009 liberty my10

Postby fedaykin » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:06 am

You can also release it by pressing the brake pedal and pulling on the handbrake switch. I discovered this AFTER getting stuck and realising there's a big sticker next to the switch with instructions.
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby OldNick » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:31 am

fedaykin wrote:You can also release it by pressing the brake pedal and pulling on the handbrake switch. I discovered this AFTER getting stuck and realising there's a big sticker next to the switch with instructions.

Ok yeah got that.That is what I usually do. Otherwise I would have been stuffed, eh?

Still trying to work out why the Hill Start only works sometimes.Anyone know?

Nick
OldNick

Postby kiwigene » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:59 am

OldNick wrote:
fedaykin wrote:You can also release it by pressing the brake pedal and pulling on the handbrake switch. I discovered this AFTER getting stuck and realising there's a big sticker next to the switch with instructions.

Ok yeah got that.That is what I usually do. Otherwise I would have been stuffed, eh?

Still trying to work out why the Hill Start only works sometimes.Anyone know?

Nick

Were you on a hill?

Also it might have something to do with the sequence you are engaging the handbrake - engine on/off etc.
If you engage the handbrake when engine is running it possibly registers that you want to "hill start".
But if handbrake is engaged once engine is off, and then engine turned on again, it might not recognise this situation as a "hill start".
--
Gene
kiwigene
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22087

Postby fedaykin » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:39 pm

The handbrake, well park brake, releases automatically only if you have the seat belt clicked in. Hill start is the button next to it, which works on inclines.

You might have a flapping seat belt sensor? That's the only thing I can think of.
fedaykin

Postby OldNick » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:38 pm

OK I will jump in the cart and try all this stuff. But when I tried it last time, it seemed pretty random, on the same drive and about a minute apart.

I have had the park brake auto-release on both flat and inclines. And also fail to auto-release on flat and inclines.

Nick
OldNick

Postby OldNick » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:47 am

Simple as. Yes it's the seat belt, thanks fedaykin. No sequences, nothing to do with the hill start (which AFAICS just holds the car from rolling backwards just long enough to get your foot from the brake to the accelerator).

Funny what you don't spot.I would come home, get out and get the mail, then drive down the drive...no belt.

Anyway thanks guys.

Nick
OldNick

Postby fedaykin » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:25 am

Good to see you've figured out the issue.
As for the hill start, I've noticed that my car doesn't hold the brakes as much as I'd like to, car still rolls most of the time. In a steeper incline the park brake engages. Maybe something is wrong with mine hahah.
fedaykin

Return to How do I?