HELP! subaru liberty power steering

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

HELP! subaru liberty power steering

Postby jtalia123 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:43 pm

most likely are lots of threads on this but need some help urgently please!
On a 2007 subaru liberty spec b 3.0

so for a while the power steering has been making a very strong whine, even when not turning the wheel it would still make this constant whine, wasn't so much hard to turn it just had the annoying noise everytime i did.
so i ordered a pump off the net for around $200, pulled out of another subaru, put it in and it was worst
ordered a rebuid kit from steering-rebuilds-australia on eBay, took the pump apart and put it in. now the problem, the whine is gone, but the pump is not going
i thought i bled it all properly, jacking it up and turning the wheel to a full lock each way slowly , repeatedly but it never improved
the steering has gone very stiff, asif the power steering is gone completely
anyone have any suggestions on what to do? plan on seeing a mechanic soon but its hard cause of work.
thankyou
jtalia123

Car: 2007 subaru liberty

Re: HELP! subaru liberty power steering

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:33 am

Buy a second hand or reco pump for your model.
Fit a new O ring for the return line.
You can find the p/n on eg Opposed Forces.
https://www.google.com.au/search?output ... ing+o+ring
Fit fit the pump and O ring and bleed it properly.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby odie00 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:42 am

2 things to try;
1> Check the belt guard is able to move. If it is not lose on the rubber mount, it will pull the top housing on the pump and cause an air leak. To make the guard loose, you will need to loosen the alternator belt guard too. There is a slot on the end of the metal bracket. Just adjust the bracket so there is no tension on the bracket on the pump end.
2> Install worm drive hose clamps on each end of the pipe between the pump and the reservoir. These hoses get hard over time and don't seal well.
These 2 should solve the issue if there is heaps of bubbles in the reservoir when the engine is running.
odie00

Car: 1999 Liberty

Postby mcaull » Mon May 02, 2016 10:00 pm

Hi,
I have a 2008 liberty, 2.5L NA

I realise this may be an old thread but thought I should post that this also solved my problem.
I had taken my car to a mechanic for servicing and they blasted the underside of the engine (with cowling off). After this I noticed the steering making a whirring noise, stopped and checked the pump for any leaks. Seamed to be sweating a small amount of PS oil around the top inlet to the pump. I drove back to the mechanic and he though it should disappear in a while.
The noise did disappear (fluid level was OK, and no foaming in the reservoir) but there was a grinding feeling while steering - this happened at all different engine speeds and road speeds. First thing I replaced were the clamps on the suction hose and made sure there were no more leaks. Problem persisted.
I flushed the fluid which seemed really dark and the filter seemed to have a lot of muck in it. Cleaned as much out as possible. Bled the system as jtalia123 had done. Problem persisted.
After forum searching it seemed the simplest thing to do next was replace the o-ring at the inlet-pump flange. Fixed!
Before fixing the issue, the steering felt wobbly, and the grinding felt so much like the steering gearbox or steering geometry was damaged and I started checking everything steering and front strut wise for any damage, which there wasn't any.
It appears the o-ring just deteriorated and the smallest amount of air was getting in to affect the efficiency of the pump. Such a small amount that there was no aeration in the reservoir.
Appreciate the posts here to aid in fixing the problem. Thanks!
mcaull

Postby fedaykin » Tue May 03, 2016 11:50 am

Did you add the extra clamp on the hose?
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Return to How do I?