2002 Liberty GX SE is being a little bitc....

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

2002 Liberty GX SE is being a little bitc....

Postby LibertyGXSE2002 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:06 am

Help club lib....!?!?!?!?! :D

I have searched all over the internet along with specifically this forum before I posted and can't find anything 100% similar to the issue I have at the moment and was hoping someone could set me straight!! Or tell me to look harder because there's plenty of info!! 8)

I have a 2002 Subaru Liberty GX SE and I only ever had one key (the ugly looking one with the rubber case). The FOB hasn't been working for years so I just lock and unlock the car via the key on the fob as well as start the car with this key.

Recently I lost this key and a locksmith couldn't advise me if the 2002 key fob had a transponder in the key or not so I I had the key re cut from the code in haste and I removed the drivers side door cylinder to obtain the 6 digit code. this was a 3XXXX number and when cut, fit my lock and my ignition barrel fine.

Basically what has happened is that when I go to start the car, it struggles to turn over (basically it doesn't turn over) and a few lights come on.

Engine Light - Flashes Very Fast Orange

Oil Light - Stays Solid Red
Red Key Light - Stays Solid Red
Battery Light - Stays Solid Red
Oil Light - Stays Solid Red

I have tried to jump start it from another car to no avail, I have even tried to roll start it.

Any ideas? Apologies if some of these items are addressed elsewhere, I just couldn't find much on the Liberty 02 in Aus and couldn't specifically locate how the transponder correlates with the car struggling to start over.

Lastly, If for some bazaar event that my keys did turn up, and the non starting of my Liberty was due to starting the car without a transponder embedded key causing it to be immobilised, is it as simple as using the lost key again given that its cut to the same code and has the chip???

Appreciate anyone time on this pain in the "back end" issue, oh and important to note, I oped the doors from the inside of the car by using a coat hanger and string? This may not of been a good idea?
:shock:
LibertyGXSE2002

Car: 2002 Subaru Liberty

Re: 2002 Liberty GX SE is being a little bitc....

Postby kiwigene » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:33 am

You probably want an inexpensive solution - but have you contacted a Subaru dealer to see if they can help?
They should be able to tell you if your key fob needs an immobiliser chip.
A new key and code will require bending over though, so have have plenty of lube ready...

If you find your key, the car should start again with no issues.
I doubt the opening of the doors with the coat-hanger will be an issue either.
--
Gene
kiwigene
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22087

Return to How do I?