Boot lid won't pop open.

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Boot lid won't pop open.

Postby Legacylad » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:30 pm

Now when I either use the lever in the car or try and pop the boot with the remote on the key it won't pop open. If I stand at the back of the car and press the button and lift the boot it will open, so the catch is releasing.
It took a while to occur to me that this problem has to do with me putting an STi boot lid spoiler on the car.
The spoiler weighs bugger all, but are these springs so finely tuned that this amount of weight makes all the difference?
I assume the TBSTI came with stronger boot springs to allow for the extra spoiler weight?
The boot springs in my spec b are colour coded to the car,so is this this the case with the TBSTi or are they a different colour?
Obviously the best solution to this problem would be to chase up some stronger springs from Subaru, but I wanted to check to see if that was the case first. Any part numbers would be appreciated. :D
Legacylad

Car: 07 GT-B Sedan

Re: Boot lid won't pop open.

Postby kiwigene » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:47 pm

I don't think the TBSTI has different boot springs. They are just GTB's from the factory and the changes were made here in Oz. I'd be checking to see if the latch is catching on something.
--
Gene
kiwigene
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22087

Postby RX25SE » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:26 am

With other brands I have seen different part numbers for boot springs and gas struts, either with or without spoilers.
The weight of the spoiler, as light as it is, is still acting at the end of what is basically a long lever (the boot lid) while the springs have to work near the pivot point.
TBH I think you have the ideal situation, the boot boot won't fly open and bang against the stops nor will it let the rain in when you hit the button.

If it were me, i'd leave it as is.
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby Legacylad » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:46 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah I would have thought it was going to a lot of effort to swap out the boot springs just for the TBSTi.
I do know though that some of the WRXs have different springs or gas struts depending on which spoiler they have.
I know what you mean about it not being the worst situation, but when I have two arm loads of stuff and only a thumb free to hit the button, I have to put some of it down just to open the boot. First world problems!
Legacylad

Car: 07 GT-B Sedan

Return to How do I?