Door window problem +

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Door window problem +

Postby klam » Sat May 30, 2015 2:09 pm

so I have the following problems I would welcome some help on:
1) the door (driver side) sagged a little bit, and I need to lift it up by let's say 1cm
2) the door doesn't hold the position while open. There is this door checker (or I've seen someone call it check strap), is it enough to change this to fix it or could this bit related to the point n 1 ?

3)
Door window problem is giving me a hard time to resolve. You can clearly see the problem from the picture below. As you can see, once fully closed it generates quite a large gap. This gap is sealed once the door is shut, as the frame pushes the window first, hence closing the gap, and then the door get latched. However, this requires far better push than the passenger's door, and it's all due the window being pushed way too much indoor.

What is interesting about this problem that on 98% of the length of the window travel the window sits quite nicely, but it just the last push it does AFTER it is being stopped by the "stoppers", that's when it all goes wild. Also, notice the gusset on the other image (in blue circle)

WP_20150530_11_39_02_Pro.jpg
WP_20150530_11_39_02_Pro.jpg (141.55 KiB) Viewed 1040 times

So what have I tried to do:
1) first I've tried to resolve this by tightening the pads that keep the window in check (in green circles on the picture below), closer to the window. That looked promising, but operating the window was much MUCH slower for the motor so I thought that cannot be right.
2) then I've loosened them a bit and tried to make the window to stop a little bit lower, so I moved the stop points (in red circles) bit lower, but that didn't help as that last push once its tried to be stopped makes is go off again.
3) the combination of the 2) and 1) made it maybe 50% better, but far from being happy.

WP_20150530_11_36_33_Pro.jpg
WP_20150530_11_36_33_Pro.jpg (144.87 KiB) Viewed 1040 times

Any ideas? Thanks heaps
klam

Car: Subaru Liberty 2006 4GEN MY06 2.0R

Re: Door window problem +

Postby klam » Sun May 31, 2015 9:39 am

with a bit of mucking around with the stoppers and those I've managed to achieve a satisfying result. the gap with the door open is now 1/3 of what is used to be and the window closes still ok, though still slightly slower. I gave it some clean and greasing. So I'm glad I've got this done, the door closes without having to slam it ! :D

...now onto the door checker...
klam

Car: Subaru Liberty 2006 4GEN MY06 2.0R

Re: Door window problem +

Postby michaelat » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:48 pm

If your door is sagged, I can assume this would cause the closing issue too. Check your hinges. Are they bent? Are the bolts loose? I would be trying to (with a friend, of course, loosen these bolts and lift the door to the desired height (maybe use bricks or something to prop up the door), then tighten the bolts again. If this isn't the case which is causing the door to sag, then I can offer no more ideas. If it's not what's causing the door to close, then check your springs. The door strap, as you call it, uses spring resistance to hold the door open. If the springs are weak or have changed shape, it should be a rather simple (maybe even cheap) fix.
Silver 2.0L MY05 Liberty Sedan
MODS
Intake Silencer Removed
LED Everything (Except Headlights and Fog Lights)
Painted Grill (Navy with red)
LED Light Bar
RGB LED Halos (100mm)
michaelat

Car: MY05 Liberty 2.0L Natural Aspiration

Return to How do I?