6mt reverse gate has reversed?

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

6mt reverse gate has reversed?

Postby gen3v8 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:36 pm

My 6mt reverse lock out knob has reversed. When you pull it up it now locks it out and when left in its normal position you can select reverse.
Any ideas?
Just an old V8 fart that has seen the LIGHT
gen3v8

Car: MY09GT SPECB WAGON GEN IV 6mt

Re: 6mt reverse gate has reversed?

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:58 pm

Stock shifter? Or short shift?
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby SIMBAT » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:05 pm

Have you installed a short shifter or had any work done on your car that would have had the gearstick assembly disassembled?

Just as a background to let you know how the revers lockout works there is a cam gear attached to a cable that rotates when you pull up the collar on the gearstick... when you are not in the reverse the cam is in its relaxed position, lets say the cam is pointing at 12 o'clock when it is "relaxed" when you pull up on the collar to go into reverse the cap points to 3 o'clock...

Now those are the two positions that the cam gear is supposed to operate at however if for some reason the cable gets over stretched/tensioned or wrongly adjusted it is possible for the cam gear to change from its relaxed position at 12 o'clock to being relaxed at 3, meaning when you pull up on the collar the cam would point at 6 o'clock, its hard to understand but at 6 o'clock the transmission is in the same state as if it were at 12. This is why it would seem that the roles of the collar being up and down have reversed. I am 100% sure that is what is happening, so the cam gear is resting in the wrong position.

There is an adjustment in the tension of the cable its just a bitch to get to but basically you have to get under the car (safely) tale off some heat shields from the exhaust which is a pain in the ass then look where the gear shifter shaft goes up and you'll the a little black cable next to it, just follow that cable towards the engine (obviously) and you'll see where it ends is the actually cam gear I'm talking about. Then if you go back along the cable 10-20cm you will see where the cable passes through a fixed bracket and there are some nuts on either side sandwiching the bracket.

In your case you will have to loosen the nut thats closer to the rear of the car first then tighten up the other nut until it sandwiches the bracket again this will hopefully give the cable more slack to make the cam operate in its proper positions. If you max out the adjustment you have then in the cable then well have to take about another way to fix the problem.
my12 VW Tiguan TDI-tuned
my16 Hyper Blue WRX STI
my16 Honda Jazz VTI
SIMBAT

Postby gen3v8 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:00 pm

Thanks for the GREAT reply SIMBAT. No work has been done apart from a clutch years ago.
I took the car track racing and it was fine, reversing into my bay each session. I covered 130kms at which point I had used a full tank of fuel. So I drove to the nearest petrol station and at that point lost reverse. After lots of frustration and another session I noticed reverse could be selected without pulling the collar.

Will be replacing the rotors and pads on a hoist in the morning and will investigate and repair/adjust the cable. Just for your curiosity DBA 4000 T3 rotors and Ferodo DS2500 pads.

Also thanks to Brunsy for starting an investigation.
Regards Dave
gen3v8

Postby SIMBAT » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:40 pm

Oh ok, i think it could have possibly been from excessive undercarriage heat from the hard driving warming up the cable and then stretching when you were engaging reverse. BTW next time you have to change pads get project mu HC+, unbeatable!
my12 VW Tiguan TDI-tuned
my16 Hyper Blue WRX STI
my16 Honda Jazz VTI
SIMBAT

Postby gen3v8 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:01 pm

Put the car up on the hoist did the pads and rotors. Pulled the heat shield off and inspected the cable operation. I found the bolt that holds the bracket for the cable adjustment was loose. All betterer now LOL. Probably not tightened from the clutch job.
Thanks again for the heads up in the right direction :D :D :D
gen3v8

Postby RX25SE » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:09 pm

I love an easy fix!
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:35 pm

RX25SE wrote:I love an easy fix!

+1 glad you got it sorted
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby DAL32 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:22 pm

Just tagging onto this thread, but my reverse can be selected at all times and the reverse lockout is stuck up and can be pushed down, but then springs back up. Awkward..

Also lost my H pattern somewhere can't find it! If I find it I might stick it on, otherwise STI knob it is.

Edit: I'm getting my engine replaced so can fix at the same time
DAL32

Car: 3.0R-B

Re: 6mt reverse Lock out has failed...question please

Postby Tonic » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:14 pm

Just had a similar issue.
Firstly with the shift lock up I couldn’t get into reverse without some strong arming it to the right.
Then all of a sudden I can get it over to reverse without touching the shift lock. The lock out knob/lever is still down in its resting position.
I am hoping it is just the cable has let go and that as a failsafe Subaru has engineered it so you can select reverse without the lock out working?
Obviously back to the shop for the mechanics to do their thing.
In the meantime I am shifting cautiously from fourth to fifth and then particularly from fifth to sixth for fear I jam it into reverse. As the days have past I am doing it easier with a slight pull to bias on the shift...
Anyway is it the cable or have I broken something else?
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Postby BillyCorgi » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:45 pm

Check the small bush in the eye of the reverse gear lock out cable.
The bush fails with age
No bush means out of adjustment.

Subaru do not support the bush as a repalcement part.
CorgiWerx manufacture a repalcement bush.
I even have one on my car.
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Return to How do I?