Wiper Arm clearance from windscreen

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Wiper Arm clearance from windscreen

Postby edy80y » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:16 pm

Hi All,

I have recently had my windscreen replaced and now the passenger side wiper arm scratches against the windscreen. Its the C-shaped hook that the spring is hooked onto which is rubbing and scratching the new screen.

One of the guys from the glass company came this morning to check whether the wipers were reinstalled the wrong way but they seem fine. One thing we did notice was that the passenger side wipe arm sits flat against the car, whereas the driver side seems to be further away.

We came to the conclusion that either:

- the windscreen that they installed is not made properly, i.e. the centre bulges out too much
- the windscreen that they installed is not for my car.
- the guy who installed the windscreen stuff up my wiper arm.

I dont know anyone else with a car like mine so i cant check their wipers arms to compare, so i am leaning towards the first reason because when you sit inside the car and look at where the windscreen meets the dash, there is a gap in the centre between the glass and the sponge.

Can anyone confirm whether that gap exists on their liberty? or whether their passenger side wiper arm sits flat against the windscreen?

Lastly, my car is a MY08 Liberty GT Spec-b

Cheers
edy80y

Car: 2008 MY08 Liberty GT Spec.B

Re: Wiper Arm clearance from windscreen

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:07 pm

Hi edy80y,
I basically have the same car as you, just an MY09 Gen4 GT SpecB. Sounds like a weird problem, can you upload some pictures to help us understand and see what the problem is?

My wipers definitely sit flat. Although I now have Bosch Aerotwins (full rubber arms, that a lot of Audis etc use). But the original wipers were normal like any other set of wipers - sat flap and didn't hit/scrape anything. I doubt they could've made an incorrect windscreen fit, so I'd bet on one of the other options.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:12 pm

Hi edy80y,
I basically have the same car as you, just an MY09 Gen4 GT SpecB. Sounds like a weird problem, can you upload some pictures to help us understand and see what the problem is?

My wipers definitely sit flat. Although I now have Bosch Aerotwins (full rubber arms, that a lot of Audis etc use). I doubt they could've made an incorrect windscreen fit, so I'd bet on one of the other options.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby edy80y » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:41 am

Cheers tom_kauf,

Ive attached 2 pictures. One showing the gap between the dash and the glass. camera was next to the centre speaker. The other is showing how the passenger wiper/arm site against the windscreen. i have also highlighted the part of the arm causing the scratches on the glass.

Cheers.
Attachments
IMG_0734.JPG
gap
IMG_0734.JPG (235.28 KiB) Viewed 2932 times
IMG_0737.jpg
passenger wiper
IMG_0737.jpg (217.8 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
edy80y

Postby GTbee » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:48 am

I think your wiper arm (the shorter section closest to the spindle) is bent.

Normally there is no way that protruding spring would get close enough to scratch the glass.

Visit your local friendly wreckers for a replacement. And get some Bosch Aerotwins when the blades wear out.
GTbee

Car: 2005 3.0R-B 6 speed Blue Sedan

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:49 pm

Where are you located edy?
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby edy80y » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:26 pm

GTBee that section you are referring to is cast into shape. I will try to source the same part to compare but i highly doubt that it is bent. I will let you know how that goes.

bigBADbenny im in southwest Sydney
edy80y

Postby GTbee » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:42 am

If it's not bent then maybe the wiper arm is mismatched to the spindle, at an angle etc.
GTbee

Postby kiwigene » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:19 am

edy, I'm also in SW Sydney. You could compare with my car if you like. Send me a PM if interested.
--
Gene
kiwigene
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22087

Postby edy80y » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:31 pm

GTBee, perhaps i will have to double check.

kiwigene thanks for the offer. The glass is going to be replaced tomorrow.

will keep you all posted.
edy80y

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:10 am

Finally had a chance to compare with my car. Sorry for the bad picture, it was night time. I couldn't get a decent one of the wiper. But measurements are more important anyway. Based how far your windscreen sticks out, I think you may have the wrong windscreen.

Basically, I don't have any gap between my dash 'sponge' (foam) and my windscreen in the centre. My picture is a bit useless, but close-up you could see that there is no gap. There's a bit of a gap about half way to the sides, but not in the middle 50cm.

Secondly, I have a 1cm gap between the plastic trim under the windscrren and the part of the wiper your arrow is pointing to. It looks like that part of your wiper stops above the glass - Mine stops lower (above the plastic trim). And it's 2cm between the glass and the lower ede of the main arm (closest to the glass).

tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby GTbee » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:24 am

I'm no expert but is possible they installed the correct windscreen incorrectly. Can't imagine another Subaru screen been such a close match. As far as I can tell, all gen 4 would have same front screen. IIt's not like there was a 4gen coupe with a different screen.
GTbee

Postby opposed » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:48 am

Missed this post

This is a case of you get what you pay for .Is this a OEM or cheap shit screen?
When I smashed my windscreen the only one I could get in Broken Hill was a cheap one .It took the fitter 2 attemps to fit it and it still wasnt right. Insurance company agreed to replace it with a OEM when I returned to Sydney .When they took out the screen and placed it side by side with the OEM there was a massive difference the cheap screen was wider and taller not by much but enough to make it hard to fit there was also a weight difference the OEM felt heaver.
opposed

Postby RX25SE » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:11 am

Sounds to me that when the screen was fitted, not enough of the old urethane was cut away. When a new bead of urethane is added over the top, it pushes the screen slightly forward.
A genuine screen would be nice, but they are over $700 last time I checked.

They key here is a good installer. I have had many screens fitted to customer vehicles over the years, and some installers need to be strung up by the balls. I had O'Brien fit a new screen to my GenIV and I couldn't be happier. I was watching the bloke like a hawk and couldn't fault his work, not the cheapest, but well worth it.
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby edy80y » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:52 am

Thanks tom for checking your windscreen gap, it definitely seems there is problem with the glass, and not the wipers.

GTBee, opposed and RX25SE all make valid points. I dont want to name names but i chose a glass company who is part of a major car insurance company, and using the cheaper glass would not surprise me. I was chatting to a friend about this on the weekend and he also mentioned something about the urethane not being cleaned off properly.

I just got off the phone with them now and it looks like next Monday is booked in for another visit.
edy80y

Next

Return to How do I?