Strange Noise in Centre of Dash

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Postby rambaldi » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:35 am

For the past six months or so I've had this really odd noise coming from my dash. It's most noticable when I'm sitting still. It's coming from this area of the dash:

The best way to describe it is it sounds mechanical, like a cog or like someone is scraping the inside of the dash. It comes and goes and doesn't sound like it's coming from a vent. It still makes that sound if I turn the fan system to OFF. Some days it doesn't do it at all, some it does.
rambaldi

Car: 2006 Liberty 3.0R

Re: Strange Noise in Centre of Dash

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:21 am

Is it a murmering sound?
An hvac vent blend door arm might have jumped out of its track in the actuator cam.
Or a buzz at a certain engine rpm?
It needs a spacer wedge inserted between the windscreen and dash. On the lgt site they're 3d printing these wedges.
Last edited by bigBADbenny on Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Snake » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:38 am

Also happening in my car, it's like a clicking/light popping sound. Doesn't happen every time though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Snake

Car: 05 LGT Wagon

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:49 pm

Its probably the HVAC issue I mentioned, if you are in Melbourne and have a free morning or afternoon I can fix it.
Its a royal pain to do though.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20939&p=356707&hilit=fixed#p356707
bigBADbenny

Postby tom_kauf » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:39 pm

Thanks to bigbadbenny for mentioning that the US LGT forum made a 3D Printed Dash Rattle stopper. As they say "The dash rattle stopper is a rather inelegant solution but it works. It is a small piece of plastic that gets crammed between dash and window just to the right of the VIN tag"

They're $5 for a set of various sizes (not sure about postage to Aus though). Group Buy anyone? :)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/3d-printing-development-thread-231380p11.html

[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby rambaldi » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:59 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Its probably the HVAC issue I mentioned, if you are in Melbourne and have a free morning or afternoon I can fix it.
Its a royal pain to do though.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20939&p=356707&hilit=fixed#p356707

Thanks mate, really appreciate it. Did your buzzing/scraping noise come from between the top vents in the middle where the flip up lid is? Shame you don't live closer to Sydney, would certainly make my life less difficult!
rambaldi

Car: 2006 Liberty 3.0R

Postby cptviper » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:14 am

Does it happen with the car off but radio on (volume down so you can hear it?)
Could be something in the stereo head unit?
cptviper

Car: MY10 Liberty Sports Premium 2.5i

Postby Robbks » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:10 am

it's the HVAC control,
does it when you select any setting with feet.
it's a pain in the butt

pull out the glovebox and backing and you can see it in operation, when you cycle the vents it seems to get stuck on feet, you can give it a little push and it comes right for a minute, but next time you change it it happens again.
haven;t found a solution to it yet
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby zoliberty » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:22 pm

I have a sound as well, it sounds like a cd stacker when cds are moving around. I actually thought it was the McIntosh HU but that's gone now.. FFS, this Gen 4 has more issues than my Gen 3 which I had for 9 years.
zoliberty

Car: Liberty MY07 Spec.B 3l

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:14 am

There's 2 solutions, pull the actuator and adjust the wiper track inside to fresh contact or replace it, or reseat the the actuator pin in the doors cam: they can pop out. If ur in Melb I can help out, doing a members car soon.
bigBADbenny

Postby zoliberty » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:41 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:There's 2 solutions, pull the actuator and adjust the wiper track inside to fresh contact or replace it, or reseat the the actuator pin in the doors cam: they can pop out. If ur in Melb I can help out, doing a members car soon.

So I'm getting my car repaired due to airbag recall, I asked if they can have a look at the actuators, supposedly they're only going behind the glove box and the steering wheel cowl.

Any chance of me taking up on your offer?
zoliberty

Car: Liberty MY07 Spec.B 3l

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:18 pm

Sure thing, even have some lowish k actuators in the stash, if the various fixes... don't :)
I'm quite busy atm so pm to tee up a time :)
bigBADbenny

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:40 am

I recently bought a Rattle Detection Kit, and I have to say it's brilliant! It can be so hard to find the exact source of a noise, but with this kit it was much easier.
For under $70 plus postage, it's well worth the money, and performed better than I would've expected.
Not everyone cares about rattles as much as me though :lol:

My one below is just a cheap Chinese one, but the seller was in Australia. I'm sure the branded ones for $200+ are a bit better, but I struggled to justify 3x the price.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Auto-Car ... 2306601771

Or search Ebay for words like 'Car Stethoscope Noise Detection'.

Last edited by tom_kauf on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:41 am

For interior rattles, I used the headphones and directional Microphone stalk. For example, I thought my rattle on rough roads came from the centre console. But the microphone didn't pick up anything around there. It picked up a noise from the far left passenger footwell.

I removed the glove box and the noise was louder, so I knew I was getting close. I cable tied everything I could see that was loose, but it made no difference. The noise was loudest when I put the microphone right against the outer panel where the wheel arch is.
Pulling the wheel arch trim back only took a minute, and there was a 2cm rock in the front of the side skirt. It's amazing how much that sound could be heard inside the cabin. I also cable tied the Windshield washer hoses that were loose there, and could flap against the inner fender. There's no way I would've found that without this kit.
Noise is now gone, Success! :good:

The kit also has 6 Clamps that go into a Switch Box. It lets you switch between different inputs, to see if the noise is louder at one spot or another. That's more for mechanical noises I think. I saw a YouTube video of a mechanic using it to see if a wheel bearing noise was coming from the L or R side. He switched between the 2 inputs, and it was totally clear which side the noise was coming from (one side made no noise, the other was grinding).
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:32 am

Love it, certainly a step up from screw driver handle in the ear :roll:
Or my ebay hearing aid thinger contact mic...

Anyone know how to convert an audio signal to 0-5v for logging via the ecu etc?

It's amazing how cabin acoustics affect our perception of nvh sources. ;)
bigBADbenny

Next

Return to How do I?