Front seats swap - de-pinning plugs

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Front seats swap - de-pinning plugs

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:43 pm

Make sure the seat vendor includes the body side seat harness plugs complete, in the instance the seats come from a wreck.

As per the procedure in the Factory Service Manual: tilt the seat backs all the way forward, move the seat base forward and undo the rear seat mount bolts, then move it back a little and do the fronts, release the steering wheel and move it forward and up. Wind down the front windows and cover doors with doonas. Now disconnect the battery negative terminal and push the brake pedal in till no more dash lights etc. Tilt the seat back and undo the three plugs to the front beneath the seat base.

Clearly a preFL seat (2 pin power plug)
Just one thing: undoing the yellow airbag plugs can be tricky first time: push back the green slider a little, you may need a screwdriver to give some purchase, then push down the yellow clip on the male side, then push the green slider all the way back to release the clip. Its a 3 stage process and is a little counter intuitive so be firm gentle and patient :)

Hold the seat by the seat back at the join by the seat base cushion, lift seat, you want to do a U turn sort of to get it out.
Take care the seat rails will trash anything they smash into - the door armrests especially!

postFL front seat power plugs, 4 wires as seen from above and below. Just pull back the wrapping a little.
The extra set of wires powers the seat position memory module, which counts motor pulses to set and remember 2 positions.

preFl front seat power plug, just a positive and a negative.

OK so the power and neg are the same colors between generations so we just need to de-pin the plugs on both sets of seats and on both sides, even though the postFL passenger seat has no memory module... That is: negative is black and positive is white with a green stripe.

De pinning the plugs:
After messing about with tiny slivers of tin trying to pop the pins out I looked at the plug and thought, "well that looks like a hole for de-pinning access" :roll:
You'll need a pick or a very small flat blade screwdriver.

Insert the screwdriver and feel around for the clip, seriously: do not put much if any tension on the wire being popped, as more than likely it will "start" as soon as its clip is clicked by the screw driver tip.

Dig around gently looking to lift of flip a tab you cant see... You cant see or even really feel it, but it will happen, so let it happen.
Pulling tight on the wire may or may not help, but more likely will hinder the process.
I was really surprised by how willing the pins were to pop.

All popped now refer back to the pics for the correct holes to transfer the pins to and tie back the unused pins with electrical tape - make sure they cant and wont short on each other!
Now install your old seats in place of the new ones, well you know what I mean ;)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to How do I?