MY08 GTB Drivers Seat base tilt issue

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Re: MY08 GTB Drivers Seat base tilt issue

Postby shav » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:25 pm

tom_kauf wrote:False alarm. I went to the dealer for a fuel filter (I'm doing a conversion to E85), and they double checked with me that I'm ok with the seat part being $1240 :shock:.

I specifically asked the lady on the phone, who quoted me 'One Two Four Zero', if that was $12.40 or $1240. She said 'yes, $12' :angry2:. Unbelievable :? - who just reads out individual numbers!?!?

Seemed too good to be true, and it was.
So it's back to welding it. A friend offered to do it for me, so I'll take some pics for you, and anyone that has to get their seat welded as well.

WTF? That's insane. Yeah I'll get mine rewelded too if thats the case. Highway robbery at its finest
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:42 pm

Yeah, because it's all welded sections under the seat (I couldn't see a way of getting individual sections apart), I imagine that's the whole assembly with both rails and electric seat drive points etc. And because it all has to pass crash safety standards, I can understand it being expensive. But the woman who quotes prices in individual numbers over the phone really needs to do that differently!
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby shav » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:02 pm

tom_kauf wrote:Yeah, because it's all welded sections under the seat (I couldn't see a way of getting individual sections apart), I imagine that's the whole assembly with both rails and electric seat drive points etc. And because it all has to pass crash safety standards, I can understand it being expensive. But the woman who quotes prices in individual numbers over the phone really needs to do that differently!

Lucky you didnt relay a credit card number over the phone too. :shock:
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:37 pm

Yeah! It was already on order for 2 days, but on Backorder from Japan. So it wasn't too late to cancel it.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby niksta » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:26 pm

tom_kauf wrote:Yeah! It was already on order for 2 days, but on Backorder from Japan. So it wasn't too late to cancel it.

hey did you end up with pictures of where this seat was welded.
My drivers seat has done the same thing now.
niksta

Car: 2005 Liberty 3.0RB

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:31 pm

niksta wrote:
tom_kauf wrote:Yeah! It was already on order for 2 days, but on Backorder from Japan. So it wasn't too late to cancel it.

hey did you end up with pictures of where this seat was welded.
My drivers seat has done the same thing now.

I didn't get a chance to take pictures during the welding. But I just took a picture, so you can see where they need welding.

There are 2 brackets (1 on each side of the seat, about 5cm in size), with 3 spot-welds that come apart. You should be able to see where they have separated, just by looking under the seat.
It's near the front, on the side of the rails. This picture is the right-hand side of the Driver's Seat. The left side of the Driver's Sear was welded as well.

tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:27 pm

Nice work with the fix!
Last count I have 4x PostFL drivers seats to fix of which at least 2 are actually in need of repair.
Chance to use my hog ring pliers n ss rings :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:34 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Nice work with the fix!
Last count I have 4x PostFL drivers seats to fix of which at least 2 are actually in need of repair.
Chance to use my hog ring pliers n ss rings :)

Thanks :). I had a friend do the welding, but I took the seat out and disassembled the rail enough to get to brackets.

EDIT: And it's definitely worth doing all the drivers seats you have. Only my right bracket had come undone, but on closer inspection with the seat removed, the welds on the left side were close to breaking off as well.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby niksta » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:48 am

the rails aren't broken on mine it's the stupid tilt adjustment nut on the side next to the transmission tunnel.
I almost had the seat out just couldn't get the air bag connector undone.
niksta

Postby tom_kauf » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:02 am

niksta wrote:the rails aren't broken on mine it's the stupid tilt adjustment nut on the side next to the transmission tunnel.
I almost had the seat out just couldn't get the air bag connector undone.

Yeah mine had a broken tilt adjustment, but those brackets are attached to the seat frame/rails.
Your front seat bolster is loose like mine was, correct (either one or both sides)?
Mine was just the right side (so not the one near the transmission tunnel). But another local member had both sides broken.
Mine wasn't the nut, it was the welds - but maybe yours is damaged a bit differently.

And yeah, I remember struggling with the Airbag connector as well. Iirc it needed a little latch in the middle to be pushed down, while pressing the release tab and pulling the connector apart (another set of hands would've helped me, but I got it eventually).
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby niksta » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:03 am

got my seat welded it was the tilt mechanism itself that broke just below the nut shit of a spot.
Would have been a new base if couldn't weld it.
niksta

Postby Nudgie » Mon May 01, 2017 6:27 pm

Same thing has happened to me but I cant get that bloody yellow plug out. Any chance you can go into a bit more details on how to get it? I'm pushing down the green lever but it still won't really budge.
MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B R
Nudgie

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue May 02, 2017 12:12 am

The airbag connector is counter intuitive, iirc slide the green bit in and pull the connector out, in the opposite direction. From memory, slide green in then depress it, then pull the plug.
If you can't nut it out, consider its a failsafe, child proof connector :P
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Nudgie » Wed May 03, 2017 10:23 am

Lol! Thanks mate.. got it :P I may or may not have been pushing it down instead of up :roll:
MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B R
Nudgie

Previous

Return to How do I?