Sorry I know it's been done to death - Modding an NA

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Postby silo's_sube » Mon May 26, 2008 12:14 pm

well im up for anything, i was just thinking that if the gt is almost 10 grand more and putting a turbo on a 2.5i was only a couple of grand then it would be worth it but i need some of the pros to give me a bit of a low down on how much, the effects etc etc??? please

also the superchager as well i guess???

thanks guys
just want to upgrade already!!!
silo's_sube

supercharging

Postby matty_et » Mon May 26, 2008 2:07 pm

well i rang the bloke at raptor the other day and spoke with him about supercharging the ej25. he said he had done it in the past but had also destroyed a few engines. the engines in the n/a's are not built for high performance mods such as turbos or superchargers. to do it properly you need to or atleast should decompress the engine, ECU retune, have forged pistons, high volume injectors, high volume fuel pump etc. these mods would significantly over come the problem of burning valves, melting pistons and head lift etc. the problem with the engines that blew up was that they did not have any of these mods and the people were running 9psi boost on a stock engine. so yeh it was bound to happen. i was told the next kit will have the equipment necessary and overcome the problem of tuning the stock ecu to run safely around 6-8 psi with out having to do to much to the internals of the engine. (so im told anyways)
matty_et

Postby silo's_sube » Mon May 26, 2008 2:35 pm

it sounds like a bit of dicking around which im not really keen on. Have you really looked at the cost of putting one of the earlier ones on with doing all those mods. i would be happy running it from 7psi minimum though.
but at that price for $2500 i think it was, it seems worth while. also did he say anything about installation(cost)?

and you reckon he said the new one is just going to be an installation job without the dicking around, did he put a price on this and give you all the details.
i don't actually have the car yet but am looking frantically to find the one. would probably be keen to look into straight away as well.
silo's_sube

supercharging

Postby matty_et » Mon May 26, 2008 4:00 pm

he wasnt very clear and i dont think he wanted to spill to much info as the kit is still in development and anything could change (price or equipment wise). but more than likely its gonna be cheaper to supercharge rather than turbo a N/A car. ring the guy at raptor, tell him what your after and im sure he'll help you out or atleast point you in the right direction.
matty_et

Postby overl0ad » Mon May 26, 2008 9:48 pm

honestly, do a search for this topic.

as you have suggested, this topic has been done to death.
tangcla wrote:I didn't have to. I have girly Asian hands :lol:
overl0ad

Car: MY07 GTB 6MT *sold*

supercharging

Postby matty_et » Wed May 28, 2008 7:11 am

doesnt mean us N/A guys still cant discuss it. any things possible if you put enough money into it.
matty_et

Re: supercharging

Postby silo's_sube » Wed May 28, 2008 8:58 am

matty_et wrote:doesnt mean us N/A guys still cant discuss it. any things possible if you put enough money into it.

nah its probably best we leave it, dont want to get another slap on the wrist
silo's_sube

Postby Subie Boy » Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 am

I think us N/A guys should be able to discuss whatever we want, and GT guys should keep their opinions to themselves....I am sick and tired of their smart arse f&*king comments....I mean guys like Arith, MY07GT and some others are very helpful and have helped me in the past, but for those of you who think that you have something smart to say then please do us N/A boys a favour and stick it somewhere else.
MY11 MERCEDES E350 COUPE AVANTGARDE
MY12 MASERATI GRAN TURISMO SPORT
MY98 BMW 850ci
Subie Boy

Postby Tom » Wed May 28, 2008 2:32 pm

Wow that took a turn for the worst..

I was thinking about modding up the motor in my 2.5i.. but decided against it.. i found the 2.5i a good cruiser, but if I wanted to pull more power out of it, i'd probably be best selling up and getting a GT or something.. Essentially the same car, just with more power and such.. As the money i'd be spending to get more power out of it, would probably come close to the difference in cost of the 2.5i to the GT!

But hey, cant go wrong with a few nice goodies here and there to give that extra lil bit of oomph! hehe..
Tom

Postby silo's_sube » Wed May 28, 2008 3:49 pm

Subie Boy wrote:I think us N/A guys should be able to discuss whatever we want, and GT guys should keep their opinions to themselves....I am sick and tired of their smart arse f&*king comments....I mean guys like Arith, MY07GT and some others are very helpful and have helped me in the past, but for those of you who think that you have something smart to say then please do us N/A boys a favour and stick it somewhere else.

it doesnt help when this site is predominantly gt owners. they dont really care about anything non turbo. ofcourse with the exception of some like you said. unfortunately we arent all made of money... :( i have just learnt to not ask anything now.

Tom wrote:Wow that took a turn for the worst..

I was thinking about modding up the motor in my 2.5i.. but decided against it.. i found the 2.5i a good cruiser, but if I wanted to pull more power out of it, i'd probably be best selling up and getting a GT or something.. Essentially the same car, just with more power and such.. As the money i'd be spending to get more power out of it, would probably come close to the difference in cost of the 2.5i to the GT!

But hey, cant go wrong with a few nice goodies here and there to give that extra lil bit of oomph! hehe..

yeh it would be interesting to see the n/a done up but no one can really be bothered these days i guess. looks like the turbo is the way to go in the long run, just gotta save save save
silo's_sube

Postby Ric » Wed May 28, 2008 5:05 pm

silo's_sube wrote:it doesnt help when this site is predominantly gt owners. they dont really care about anything non turbo. ofcourse with the exception of some like you said. unfortunately we arent all made of money... :( i have just learnt to not ask anything now.

Just ask in the 2.5i specific forum, and shoot anyone GT owners who stick their nose in! :D

:hunter:
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Previous

Return to How do I?