Help fixing 2 minor irritations!

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Help fixing 2 minor irritations!

Postby tony_m » Wed May 15, 2013 11:39 pm

Hi guys,

I have been reading these forums almost daily, since getting an 08 Liberty early last week. Before I got any further, its a 2008 Heritage 2.5L. I have 2 small things that I am keen to fix.

Firstly, the seatbelt alarm/chime. Unbelievably annoying when driving from the mailbox, 100mt to my garage and trying to reverse in with that carrying on. I have read at least a dozen different forums, each one with every member swearing their method is the only way! I have tried the 20x click method at least 5 times with no result. I have tried it with the door open, door closed, finishing buckled and unbuckled, starting car to test it buckled, not, etc etc. No go. I have read about removing or muffling the actual chime speaker on the pcb under the steering column; modifying the seatbelt receiver itself so that the connector inside is permanently on; or clipping the wire or removing the plug under the seat.. All of which I'm not too keen on. Everyone keeps mentioning airbags so I'll happily not play with that just yet. I'll add it seems like most of these discussions are from America, mostly WRX owners.

So has anyone successfully done the 20x click on a liberty here in Aus?

Second problem, definitely not life-changing, but I just want to know if it's possible… Does a standard Liberty like mine have the ability to beep the horn or chirp when it's locked/unlocked? It's just so quiet, I find I have to be looking at the indicators, or stand there and check the handle. I am a bit ocd about this at the moment and like to check several times just to make sure. lol. My last car had a chirp/double chirp, and I never questioned whether I had locked it after walking off! I am thinking this might just be a feature of an alarm system? Does the Heritage have an alarm?

Any help would be appreciated guys.

Cheers. Tony.

On another note, I dropped in to see Chris at Audio Express the other day after reading about his expertise on these forums. Lucky for me his shop is only 10 mins away! Unlucky for me - it seems like a minimum $2000 for an audio upgrade.. Might be on the back burner for a while!
tony_m

Car: 2008 Heritage Luxury Edition
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23965

Re: Help fixing 2 minor irritations!

Postby Kekotic » Wed May 15, 2013 11:43 pm

Welcome Tony

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=11494&p=164410&hilit=seatbelt+alarm#p164470

This post from a Subaru head mechanic should help.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby tony_m » Thu May 16, 2013 12:08 am

Sensational. Removes any doubt about that one- I was pretty sure something like that wouldn't effect the airbags, but it's not exactly something I was willing to find out the hard way! I'll have to get under the seat in the next few days.

Still keen to hear if anyone had luck with the 20 click trick!

Tony.
tony_m

Postby Kekotic » Thu May 16, 2013 12:16 am

tony_m wrote:Sensational. Removes any doubt about that one- I was pretty sure something like that wouldn't effect the airbags, but it's not exactly something I was willing to find out the hard way! I'll have to get under the seat in the next few days.

Still keen to hear if anyone had luck with the 20 click trick!

Tony.

There is info about the 20 clicks thing in the same thread.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu May 16, 2013 8:23 am

Best value starter audio upgrade is to put some sound deadener in the doors etc ;)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby tony_m » Thu May 16, 2013 8:41 am

Sorry Kieran- I couldn't seem to find any mention in that thread. Not to worry. I will go for the more permanent method anyway.

Cheers Ben- I've definitely thought about that, if only to stop the rattling! Doors aren't too bad, but that little sub causes a lot of noise from the parcel shelf. Deadener would absorb that I'm hoping?
tony_m

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu May 16, 2013 9:17 am

Yep small pack of Resomat etc for at least 25% coverage inner & outer f&r door skins and parcel shelf :)

Some have had success adding a port/vent on the parcel shelf for more mid & low bass.
bigBADbenny

Postby tony_m » Fri May 17, 2013 3:41 pm

So no matter how hard I tried - 20 click doesn't work for me. I searched for the plug under the seat to no avail… Finally took off the under side of the dash to get at the integrated module to silence the speaker itself, but what's that?! - It doesn't exist. It must be there somewhere but there was nothing under there that looked even close to the photo's online! Deciding to pack that up before I damaged anything, I went for one last dive under the front seat. Several incredibly awkward positions later and I had identified the cable and its plug. Success! Finally! Blissful silence :D

I'll have to have a dig around and see what I can find on porting the parcel shelf. Cheers guys.

Tony.
tony_m

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri May 17, 2013 4:23 pm

Info on legacygt re port :)
bigBADbenny

Postby miller0 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:22 am

any info on activating a sound when locking/unlocking the car?
Luke

2008 GT-B STI Liberty #076/250

Tuned by MSR - 187.1kw atw & 666 nm torque.

MY CAR IS FOR SALE!
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22670
miller0

Car: MY08 GT-B STI Liberty #076/250
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16526&start=0

Postby tony_m » Wed May 22, 2013 2:29 pm

Hi Luke,

No word yet. I am however going to drop in at a Subaru dealer this afternoon to ask a few questions, like getting my hands on an AUX cable, amongst other things.

So I'll check with them, and let everyone on here know. I am still hoping that it's a standard feature on a car as new as 2008!

Cheers. Tony
tony_m

Postby tony_m » Wed May 22, 2013 3:45 pm

Just spoke with the dealer. The lock/unlock alert is aftermarket only. Depends on alarm installed. No major issue, I have gotten used to it now.

Tony.
tony_m

Postby Kimmo » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:42 pm

Bump!

I saw on the Yank forum they can disable the seatbelt chime by cracking open the seatbelt latch and flicking a little switch or something. Is it the same on our cars? Or does anyone know where the damn noisemaker is?

As for the second aspect of the OP, I'm looking forward to getting my folding mirrors doing their thing via keyless entry. Might be a bit complicated, especially if I want the switch to still work...
Kimmo

Car: 07 GT-B

Postby Tonic » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:05 am

Ahh I appreciate the lock chime desire...... did it lock? Press again... ahh indicators flashed !
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Postby Kimmo » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:24 pm

The sweet thing is about linking it to the mirrors, aside from putting their function to full use (with a separate switch, you have to bother to flick it), is that you don't even need to be there at the time to know it locked; you can just look at the car whenever.
Kimmo

Car: 07 GT-B

Return to How do I?