SOLVED - Reverse lock out cable dropped

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

SOLVED - Reverse lock out cable dropped

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:01 pm

Hey All

i have a 2007 6mt spec b and have recently done a very foolish thing, i am painting some interior panels and some of those panels are on the gear shifter so naturally this needs to come apart to take certain parts off it, my downfall was not thinking ahead and getting some advice before doing this

everything was working fine until i knocked the locking pin out of the lever for reverse, it all sprung up in a flash now i am having great difficulty to reassemble the shifter, i put all the pieces back together where i removed them from (in order) but still the spring pushes the lever all the way to the top where it should be down the bottom, there is a silver shaft inside the main shaft of the shifter and am unsure whether this is the key to my mystery, i can push it downward but cannot seem to raise it up at all which is what i am thinking i need to do

any information or advice would be highly appreciated

i will upload some photos asap as it may help my cause

this is the locking pin i removed to bugger it all

this is the silver shaft inside the main shaft

another shot of the silver shaft

it looks like THIS

but it SHOULD be down here

thanks in advance

Daniel
Last edited by Brunsy3.0 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Re: HELP PLEASE!!! REVERSE SAFETY MECHANISM LEVER 6MT

Postby zch91 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Quite a few of the 6mt guys have done short shifter/knob replacements so they should be able to chime in.. All that I Know is you're not the first one to do it :P
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby fletch2 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:57 pm

Mines been like that for a few months now! My reverse light's only occasionally work cos of it too now!
Haha
MY05 3.0R-B sedan 6MT- Sunshine Coast, QLD
fletch2

Car: 04 MY05 3.0R-B SEDAN

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:19 pm

are there any issues with driving? gear changes? need to be careful going into 6th i would imagine?
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Postby bates91 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:04 am

first up yeah you've created a bit of a mess doing that :lol:

have a look at this
https://static.cobbtuning.com/cobbtunin ... ctions.pdf

now try understand what i'm about to tell you. it might be almost 3am but i'm not drunk don't worry, just home late ;) hahaha

so basically that silver shaft you're talking about is the cable (just like a bicycle brake cable) which connects to the reverse lockout switch thing. what makes it look like a shaft is the bit on the end. you can see this just in the photo just above step ten in the install guide above. the hole through it is what that locking pin is supposed to go through, so that when you pull the lever up it pulls the cable etcc

try do step one in the guide, as that will give you more cable to work with and should hopefully "lift" it up enough to see that hole and put the pin through it
however i've found that doesn't necessarily do it, and what i'd recommend as a guaranteed way to sort it is as follows

-take off the rubber boot + foam etc surround the gearstick.
-you'll see the cable goes through this rubber surround thing...just pull downwards on it and it should come away from the gearstick and pull down and out. get it separated like the photo i mentioned earlier (just above step ten) so that the cable is separated from the gearstick
-get some fishing line or something similar and tie a loop through that hole in the end of the cable, make it long enough to extend a good 10/15cm at least when you pull the loop taught.
-now try feed it back from underneath and through the shift lever, ideally the top of your fishing cable loop will poke through the top where the gearknob threads on and you can just pull on it and bring the cable up. this will allow you to pull it up far enough so that the hole for the locking pin will now appear through the vertical slit in that black collar on the gear stick and you can just whack the locking pin through. remember though that it has to go through the pull lever, the black collar and the "silver shaft" as you've described it :lol: and it can be a bit tricky lining them all up. undo the big cross bolt on the shift lever that connects it to the bronze shaft thing and that will allow you to rotate it around (still held there by the ball joint) and make it very easy to line up.

this should sort it
bates91
-stickered-

Car: BMW 135i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15799

Re: SOLVED - Reverse lock out cable dropped

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:22 pm

PROBLEM SOLVED PHEW!!

haha thanks to everyone, was actually quite simple to fix but would have been even simpler to avoid in the first place, im glad i had half the interior already pulled apart before doing this so i only had to move one or two trim pieces, would have been an excellent time to put a short shift in, too bad im broke haha

to fix this problem i simply cut the zip tie holding the cable to the bracket at the base of the shifter and pulled the cable out through the bottom and pulled the cable upwards to lengthen it then simply put it into reverse gear which holds the cable in place so it can be reinserted into the shaft and was at perfect height to insert locking pin. this wasnt as hard as some people have made out it to be (inserting the lock pin) i simply used a hook to turn the cable and then inserted a drill bit through all the holes, then hit the locking pin back into place, job done

thanks to zch91 for getting my research started on the matter, i was stressing out a bit at the time and it didnt even occur to me that a short shift install would cover this area, so cheers

so yeah disaster over, i think when i reinstall parts of the shifter later on that i will be clamping the cable before i remove the pin haha

thanks all
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Re: SOLVED - Reverse lock out cable dropped

Postby FIEND81 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:55 pm

I've just discovered this problem when I decided to retrain the gear boot. Was stressing out so much about it until I found this. Hopefully I can fix it too.
Previous Subaru cars: Brumy, 85 Vortex XT track car, 85 Vortex XT with EJ20T
FIEND81

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B

Return to How do I?