05 Wagon Roof Leak

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Re: 05 Wagon Roof Leak

Postby jay.ritchie » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:00 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:One other thing... The rivets holding the roof trim in front and rear, did you drill them out and re-rivet them later or are they re-useable? :D

They’re reusable, like the ones in the 6 pillar trims.
They un-click when you pull on them with a bit of force. Good luck!
jay.ritchie

Car: MY12 VW Golf R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21040

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:25 pm

:air_kiss:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby AitchEBoy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:39 pm

Hi

I am what one would call a lurker, that is I dont have much to say very often.

The problem your having is one similiar to what I had experienced in my Gen 1 ser 2 Wagon. The water was coming into the cabin directly above the driver and passenger. After clearing the sunvisor drain holes which were partially blocked the problem persisted.

I took out the roof lining and found that the waterproof sealant between the rails and sunroof frame had deterorated.

After undoing the fixing screws, one side at a time, I was able to remove the old sealant and replace with newer sealant. Not hard just a fiddly job.

Sorry for the late reply I have been away travelling and only just now catching up on old messages.

Ray
AitchEBoy

Car: Gen 1 Series 2 Liberty Wagon 2.5ltr

Postby Floyd » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:30 pm

jay.ritchie wrote:It was pissing down rain in melbourne a few nights ago, and it was pissing down rain inside my car also.
Theres been water coming in from the drivers side window pillar, resulting in the entire pillar being wet, and a small section of the roof. the water even drips pretty quickly when you accelerate from just above the foot wells. theres also a small amount of water coming in on the passengers side too.

Is this the sunroofs fault? or could it be the small silver roof rails? Any ideas on who to see to get it fixed?

jay.ritchie wrote:Found the leak with the roof trim off and sealed it all up. It was just near the front drivers side drain. The existing seal must have gotten a bit thin i think.

Sorry to bring up an old thread and with my first post too, it's just that I have literally the same problem with the same model except on the passengers side. I was wondering how exactly did you fix the leak? I pulled down the roof trimmings slightly but couldn't see any seal, just the pipe. I guess I'm not game enough to remove the roof trimmings properly.

I'm not too sure If I'll receive a reply as it doesn't look like Jay has been on for some time so does anyone have any advice? Is it worth paying a mechanic?

Thanks in advance.
Floyd

Previous

Return to How do I?