Install a New Grille? (With Pictures)

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Install a New Grille? (With Pictures)

Postby Corsair » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:58 pm

I have a painted Corazon grille on the way and was wondering if anyone could give me advice about installing it.

As I am somewhat mechanically challenged, is this something I could do or am I better off going to a panel beater so I don't mess it up?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :D
Last edited by Corsair on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I got this plan. It's called 'Save Ass'. And the way it works is this - I slip outta one of these windows and I run like a bastard!
Corsair
-stickered-

Car: MY09 Liberty 2.5i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15709

Re: Install a New Grille?

Postby imania » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:34 pm

Install is easy, they're clipped in at the bottom, and you'll see the lugs at the top.
To pop the old grille out, you have to undo the top, then push the bottom towards the radiator starting at the headlight ends first and working towards the middle, it'll just pop out but takes a bit of effort. Install is the reverse
imania

Car: 2007 Liberty GT Tuned by STi

Postby Kekotic » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:01 am

No offence Ain but your instructions sound a little confusing.

I'll try simplify it a little.

Been a while since I did this, but I just took some pics specially for you as a really rough guide, as I can't 100% remember everything but I have a good idea of it.

There are 4 points that the stock grille connects to. Should be same for any decent grille you buy.
I took a photo of one side of the grille so you get an idea.

The red indicates 2 (of 4 total) spots where the clips are at the top of the grille. To get to these place a flathead screwdriver in the hole section which I marked in blue and you will see a clip where you can fit a flathead that will release the clip. Hard to explain and I can't be bothered trying to take detailed pictures. It's self explanatory basically. Place flathead in hole and pry until clip releases. Takes a bit of force but they will come out provided you are putting it in the right spot.

Once the 4 clips are unlatched you can undo the 2 clips (1 left 1 right side) which I marked in green. A flat head and a set of curved needle nosed pliers are always the trick with these particular clips, especially the cuntish ones under the car that get coated in dirt! (under car ones not related to this particular guide)

When you have undone those 2 final clips, the grille may seem like it's still stuck in, especially if it's never been removed before. basically if you look at it like this it's easy to understand. The chrome surround of the grille actually functions (for the bottom section) as a "clip" itself. So that entire bottom section is actually slotting in to a "clip" and all you need to do is slide it out horizontally with a bit of force if needed. If that makes sense.
Any questions and I can help you out / every other person on the forum who has changed their grille can.

And Corsair you are always welcome to come around to my place / I can even meet you half way to help you if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Install a New Grille?

Postby sedstrSTI » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:46 am

Its very easy mate , I did it today, as mentioned above just pull out the 4 round clips with a flathead screw driver, and then then push in to release the 4 small clips on top of the grille, after that just pull the whole grille from the bottom it should just slide off with some effort
2005 2.5i & 2007 GTB STI
Real men drive manual.
sedstrSTI
formerly sedstr

Car: 07 GTB STI & MY05 2.5i

Postby Corsair » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:34 am

Thank you very much Ain, Kieran and Serge for all your help! :-D

Special thanks to Kieran for the photo and the detailed step-by-step instructions. It gives me more confidence to try it myself. I will take a look when I get the Corazon (hopefully this week) and if I still feel sketchy about doing it myself, I may have to take you up on your generous offer of assistance.

Out of interest, did you guys spray paint the centre latch support to obscure your car's colour behind the grille?
I got this plan. It's called 'Save Ass'. And the way it works is this - I slip outta one of these windows and I run like a bastard!
Corsair
-stickered-

Postby jp928 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:02 am

I had trouble here when I did it - the clips on the bottom are not obvious, or easy to see, but when I found them I was able to free them and get it out. Get lotys of well directed light down behind the grille and you should find them.
jp 08 gtb 6mt wagon.
jp928

Car: 08 gtb 6mt wagon

Postby Corsair » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks jp928. I'll get a strong torch when I try. :D
Corsair
-stickered-

Postby bass_straitener » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:46 pm

If you have the grill on Friday why not bring it to kebab night and get Kieran to do a demo/workshop on replacement grill installation. PM Kieran and see if that's possible. I'd be an interested spectator.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby champ » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:54 pm

Bring the lip in the backseat/boot topo, and Kieran (or one of the others) should be able to tell you if it fits.
champ
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT Spec.B Tuned by STi 6MT OBP

Postby Corsair » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:55 pm

bass_straitener wrote:If you have the grill on Friday why not bring it to kebab night and get Kieran to do a demo/workshop on replacement grill installation. PM Kieran and see if that's possible. I'd be an interested spectator.

Funny you mention that Bruce, the idea actually crossed my mind...As long as the freaking thing turns up this week. Fingers crossed!
Corsair
-stickered-

Postby Corsair » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:57 pm

champ wrote:Bring the lip in the backseat/boot topo, and Kieran (or one of the others) should be able to tell you if it fits.

And that is also a good idea. If you want to have some cash ready in case it doesn't fit, it yours also.
Corsair
-stickered-

Postby champ » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:59 pm

Corsair wrote:And that is also a good idea. If you want to have some cash ready in case it doesn't fit, it yours also.

I'll need more than just cash if I'm going... :lol:
champ
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT Spec.B Tuned by STi 6MT OBP

Postby Corsair » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:01 pm

Only want what I paid. PM me if you want.
<Edit> Yeah, I wondered why a guy from WA was in Melbourne. I'm a dumbass.
Corsair
-stickered-

Postby cruisn » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Pop out the 4 push clips in the top and the twist the locators out at the bottom that hold it to the bumper.

30 sec job.
cruisn

Car: MY02 GTB E Tune

Postby jslayz » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:43 am

As I have just done it, I can say from experience that installing a corazon grill is more involved than has been noted and all instructions are in japanese only.

I ordered the bonnet catch cover and the grill.

If you ordered one, the bonnet catch cover must be installed first and involves removing stock grill, removing and cutting the 2 innermost block clips at bit and drilling a hole in each one.

Then the grill....add the logo badge, apply the sponge double sided and then slightly peel back the edges of each piece of tape (5cm) after cutting to size.
The peeled back edges will allow you to remove the tape after the grill is in position and the clips are in

Clean the area the tape will contact with isopropyl alcohol so you will get a good bond.

Install the grill in position, insert the push clips, align the grill, peel the tape, drill the 2 holes into the block clips for the 2 screws supplied, tighten screws firmly.

Done.

OMG I think I have actually contributed to the forum!!

J
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Next

Return to How do I?