set a delay for power windows/sunroof

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

set a delay for power windows/sunroof

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:25 pm

Hey all

is there a way to set a delay for the relay maybe for the power being fed to the power windows/sunroof so say withing 30 secs of removing the key from the ignition they can still be closed. i wouldnt want to be able to do this without the power supply for it turning off at some point for safety purposes (cant go through the window and wind my window down to break in etc)

if anyone has any information on this would be very helpful....auto electrician maybe?

cheers
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Re: set a delay for power windows/sunroof

Postby psy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:29 am

Keep an eye on this thread. It might help.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15354
2016 Subaru Forester XT Premium
psy
-stickered-

Car: 2016 Forester XT Premium

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:15 pm

THIS IS FOR A 2007 3.0L SPEC.B INCASE THERE ARE ANY DIFFERENCES IN WIRING DO AT YOUR OWN RISK, IF YOUR NOT FAMILIAR WITH SPLICING/SOLDERING ETC. I WOULDNT RECOMMEND THIS

WHEN CONNECTING POWER TO TDR-P THE BATTERY MUST BE DISCONNECTED AS THEY ARE NOT DESIGNED TO BE CONNECTED LIVE

I have set a delay for the power windows, but didn't spend the time to run the LOAD wire to the sunroof as of yet, I had a quick look behind the fuse box but was unable to source the sunroof wire at the time

it is a simple mod and easy enough to do, once I figured out which wires did what it was only a matter of splicing into some wires, cutting one and then connecting them to the TDR

first I took to cover down, simply remove the silver trim and then pull on the trim downwards, it is only held in by 2 clips each side

the relay that is for the power windows is the very bottom left

then the relay panel that is to the left of the fuse panel clips off from 2 clips on the side, pull forwards and then turn the relay panel around to gain access to the back

the wires are as follows:
12v constant - white/green stripe
earth/ground - black
switch 2/load wire - green
switch 1 - green/white stripe

the TDR-P (Time Delay Relay) have 5 male blade connections on it that need female blade terminals to attach to it, the connections are as follows

+12 - 12v constant
G - Ground
1 - switch 1
2 - switch 2
L - Load

the 12v constant just needs splicing and then connecting via female blade terminals to the TDR-P (+12)
the ground is the same, splicing, connecting to TDR-P (G)
the switch 1 is the same, splicing, connecting to TDR-P (1)
the switch 2/load wire is a little different:
it needs to be cut in half, the half directly out of the relay connects to the TDR-P (2) and the half that goes to the power windows connects to the TDR-P (L)

once soldered taped and connected to the TDR-P turn the relay panel back around and clip back into place,

to adjust the time delay (how long after the key is turned off that the power stays on for) there are 2 dials on the back and one switch, the switch needs to be in the OFF position and the I dial is to set how long a delay there is before the power comes on (to adjust less amount of time turn counter-clockwise, and clockwise to lengthen the time) I turned the I dial counterclockwise until it worked as per normal (windows work as soon as the key is turned on)
then adjust the O to turn off the power after the key is turned off (it took me about 6 or so complete turns to get to around 30secs it came set at around 1/4 of a second or so)

then secure the TDR-P wherever you choose neatest and bask in your glory

(I sourced the TDR-P from here: http://www.wolstentech.com/products/timedelayrelay/tdr.php
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby dirtyharry289 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:40 pm

Hey Dan,

Would this work the other way around. Such as my mate has the stock feature in his ford, where when you unlock your car and keep holding down the button on the keys, it sends power to the windows and puts them down. Great for letting the NT heat out. Have you heard of a way to do this? Just a thought as your mod is similar, and I'd be keen.
Cheers Harry

MY05 H6 Wagon
88 CRX
dirtyharry289

Car: 2005 MY05 H6 Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=30045

Postby jp928 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:14 pm

Stock item from Hella - HELLA 996152131 12 Volt 5 Pin 0-900s Delay Off Time Control Unit. Programmable delay, to a degree.

jp 08 gtb 6mt wagon
jp928

Car: 08 gtb 6mt wagon

Return to How do I?