05 liberty GT Manual Exhaust Advice

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

05 liberty GT Manual Exhaust Advice

Postby metalcar » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:46 pm

So,

I've been looking around trying to find a decent turbo back exhaust option for about $2K. Having been told MRT make a decent exhaust I sent an email to the local reseller for a price on the exhaust and fitting.

The reply was don't get an exhaust. They included a document showing how the restriction of airflow is in the intake, intercooler and turbo itself and so the exhaust isn't worth doing unless you upgrade the turbo.

What does everyone here think? Specifily with the 2.0L Turbo engines, and twin scroll turbos? Does an exhaust add anything more then noise? Should I just worry about my intake and intercooler and tune?

Thanks,
metalcar

Postby EJ25 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:58 pm

fujis..yum yum..
EJ25

Postby fish_boy79 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:59 pm

sounds typical of mrt to say something like that. aftermarket dumppipe makes a very noticable difference in response and mid/top end power. i found the cat-backs didn't do much for power, just more noise.
fish_boy79

Postby SkoobyGT » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:00 pm

You will get a lot of debate here.

I got Hi Tech Cat Back only, and Apexi CAI, which gave me 121kw atw.

Got a tune as well, gave me 168 kw atw.

A tune will help with the mods you have already, but the exhaust does make it more enjoyable to drive.
************FOR SALE - $20,999 - ************2004 GT Liberty
SkoobyGT

Postby metalcar » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:01 pm

Has anyone gone to the effort of heat wrapping the manifold, up pipe and dump pipe? Recon its worth it?
metalcar

Postby XRC15T » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:49 pm

The wrapping of the pipes will have little gain from gas flow. It does help engine temp though. Wraps can sometimes cause rapid degrading of the pipes.

Coating would be a better alternative.

But Meh..........
[TEAM FUNERAL]
XRC15T

Postby qship » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:28 pm

I have the hitech mufflers on my manual gt wagon and these added 6kw at the wheels. The xede ecu was then added and another 28KW appeared at the wheels. The remainder of the exhaust (down pipe, centre section and Y branch are being replaced in 2 weeks time with the rest of the hitech system. With the appropriate tune I hope tor another10-15kw.

There is some merit to the MRT comments. The turbo is near its limit and really only an extra pound or two of boost is safe, but ultimately it comes down to how much grunt you want, If over 175 or so at the wheels is your aim, then you may need to seriouslty consider the intake side of the equation. - Good luck!
You can lead a fool to knowledge but you cannot make him think!
qship

Car: Lib GT MY06

Postby metalcar » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:05 pm

Hitting around 170kw atw is probably about where I want to go.

So plans include intake, intercooler (bigger TMIC) and tune of course and then the exhaust. From the replies I'm tossing up between just doing the dump pipe or going full tbe. If a full tbe is worth 15-20kw (at a guess from your numbers qship) I might be tempted to go there. A nice rumble would be an added benefit, but main motivation is more power. MRT comments made me wonder if there was any point to an exhaust at all...

These guys look interesting CES racing they'll do a full tbe with ceramic coated dump pipe in stainless for $3300 fitted that's getting pretty high, but at the same time its a predeveloped kit and they are pretty much around the corner from my place. Anyone had any experiences with them?
metalcar

Return to How do I?