Faulty factory HID or is this normal?

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Faulty factory HID or is this normal?

Postby unfunkable » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Gday All
In the my09 GT-b, the HID lights are not even when lighting up the road.

The right side, doesnt shine as far out as the left.

I've asked a few people, some say this is normal, as the right side cuts off , as not to dazzle drivers on the other side of the road.

Some people say it is'nt normal. . I will quering this during my first service, but just wanted to know what the general concensus is regarding even lighting, incase they try and tell me some porky pies.

They are also pointed abit too low and will be getting them raised.

cheers
unfunkable

Postby Moi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:30 pm

When I bought my MY07 I also initially thought there was something wrong with the lights but it's actually entirely normal :oops:

To adjust them http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?t=3310

There's also another thread on the Legacygt.com forum which tells you step by step how to adjust them accurately in minute detail
(you'll have to search for it and adjust for left/right hand drive accordingly but it's got pics etc...)

Cheers

btw i forgot to add...welcome to the forums :)
Current: Subaru Legacy GT-spec.B MY07
Previous: Subaru Impreza WRX MY01

Moi

Car: Subaru Legacy GT-spec.B MY07

Postby unfunkable » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:42 pm

cheers thanks for that
I've been searching for liberty forums for the last month since I had my car and couldnt find any decent ones until I found this!
unfunkable

Postby unfunkable » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:21 pm

Hmm
i have been doing some reading at legacygt.com.

Is it illegal to adjust the driver light so it is even, ie: make the right side reach out abit more.
Will it blind on coming traffic? I noticed that the knobs to adjust up and down is actually quite hard to get to, I need to remove something and Im pretty bad with cars :S
unfunkable

Postby senator » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:01 pm

unfunkable wrote:Hmm
i have been doing some reading at legacygt.com.

Is it illegal to adjust the driver light so it is even, ie: make the right side reach out abit more.
Will it blind on coming traffic? I noticed that the knobs to adjust up and down is actually quite hard to get to, I need to remove something and Im pretty bad with cars :S

the passenger side is straight forward, the drive side requires removal of the air intake duct.
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby unfunkable » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:44 pm

hi again
i understand what needs to be done, but if i do bring the driver side light to match the passenger light, will it be illegal? i have read some stuff that leans towards HID having to be installed under certain conditions to avoid blinding on coming traffic.
unfunkable

Postby smythie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:46 pm

technically it will be illegal (but then again, so is pretty much anything you do to your car). A good chance it will be reset at your next service too
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby senator » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:50 pm

smythie wrote:technically it will be illegal (but then again, so is pretty much anything you do to your car). A good chance it will be reset at your next service too

lol.... the service guys a use to doing the adjustment for everyone that has this issue.'

the factory setting for them is shocking, the throw of the light is no more then 8 meters, mine was.
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby senator » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:53 pm

unfunkable wrote:hi again
i understand what needs to be done, but if i do bring the driver side light to match the passenger light, will it be illegal? i have read some stuff that leans towards HID having to be installed under certain conditions to avoid blinding on coming traffic.

trust me you will not blind on coming traffic, the adjustment needed will give you enough throw, use a brick wall as a gauge, line up the beam with the row of bricks and slowly adjust them.
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Return to How do I?