All Indicator Lights On Steady - 2006 Liberty

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

All Indicator Lights On Steady - 2006 Liberty

Postby specblib06 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:09 pm

Hi all,

New to Libertys and cars in general so help is appreciated.

Recently had this issue where all indicator lights stay on (randomly). On the dash, side mirrors, front and rear on BOTH sides stay on and pressing the hazard button doesn't do anything. I can still hear ticking when indicating left/right but indicator lights stay on even when driving at speed.

Anyone had this issue? Car is a 3.0R Liberty 2006 (Gen 4).
specblib06

Car: 3.0R Liberty 2006

Re: All Indicator Lights On Steady - 2006 Liberty

Postby RX25SE » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:32 pm

When you say you can still hear a ticking sound when indicating, are the indicators working normally? If not, does only one side stay on when indicating?
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:39 pm

Try the button on top of your steering column cover behind the hornpad.

Maybe that’s for parkers, I forget… ;)

I had a similar issue with my new tap turn indicator module, a bit of fiddling with the indicator stalk fixed it.

If you need to escalate, try using contact cleaner in the stalk assy or swap the assy out with one from a wreck.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby specblib06 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:00 am

RX25SE wrote:When you say you can still hear a ticking sound when indicating, are the indicators working normally? If not, does only one side stay on when indicating?

When the issue occurs, all indicator lights are on and steady, so turning the indicator stalk does nothing effectively. Then, when the indicator lights turn off (randomly), the indicators are able to work.

Hope that makes sense.
specblib06

Postby specblib06 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:03 am

Bumping this as I've had the issue occur again. Didn't have an issue for about two weeks and now it just occurred tonight.

Was driving on the road and all my indicator lights turned on again (front, rear, side mirrors, ALL of them) and no blinking or anything, just on constantly. Pulled over and restarted the car a few times, still occurred but after the third or fourth restart the indicator lights decided not to turn and I was able to drive home.

I did check the fuse in the fuse box (in the engine bay) which was fine. Thinking its the flasher relay causing this and am going to attempt a replacement with an eBay relay replacement, using this thread as a guide /viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13271.

Hoping to get some input on this. Appreciate the help.
specblib06

Postby RX25SE » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:02 am

Is there an alarm system or any other aftermarket device fitted that is connected to the indicator light circuits?
RX25SE

Postby specblib06 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:41 pm

RX25SE wrote:Is there an alarm system or any other aftermarket device fitted that is connected to the indicator light circuits?

That's the only other thing. No aftermarket system, but the lock/unlock flashes the indicator lights?

I've actually tried a new relay and the issue got worse (pretty much on 15 seconds after starting the car). I noticed that flashing high beams makes the lights go off for about 5 seconds until it happens again...
specblib06

Postby RX25SE » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:30 pm

specblib06 wrote:I noticed that flashing high beams makes the lights go off for about 5 seconds until it happens again...

Does the same thing happen when pressing the hazard switch? (as in the indicators return to normal)
RX25SE

Postby specblib06 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:12 am

RX25SE wrote:
specblib06 wrote:I noticed that flashing high beams makes the lights go off for about 5 seconds until it happens again...

Does the same thing happen when pressing the hazard switch? (as in the indicators return to normal)

The hazard button seems to work fine. Though when I have the indicator lights on, the hazards will make an audible tick but the indicator lights will just remain on.
specblib06

Postby RX25SE » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:06 am

Looking at the wiring diagram it seems that both the LH & RH indicator stalk switch and the hazard switch provide a ground signal to the Turn Signal Hazard Module. Activating a switch would most likely ground a 'pull-up' resistor in the module, causing a driver to open and close at a fixed cycle causing either the LH, RH or both indicators to flash.

It could be a failed module (I suspect you should have the same symptoms when activating the hazard switch) or poor contacts in the indicator switch assembly.
You could test the module by unplugging the indicator (combination) switch and connecting either terminal 5 (LB wire) or terminal 6 (RB wire) of the Turn Signal Hazard Module to a good ground with the ignition turned on. This bypasses the LH & RH indicator input signal circuit.
If you get the same symptoms, the fault lies in the module.

If you have the w/shop manual, the wiring diagram is on page 5064.
RX25SE

Postby Tonic » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:56 pm

The fact that the problem goes away, albeit temporarily, when you turn the car on and off a few times to me says it is software related. Which means a sensor or relay is malfunctioning I guess. Maybe there is a code to indicate which one.

Ps. I know nothing.
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Postby specblib06 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:48 am

RX25SE wrote:Looking at the wiring diagram it seems that both the LH & RH indicator stalk switch and the hazard switch provide a ground signal to the Turn Signal Hazard Module. Activating a switch would most likely ground a 'pull-up' resistor in the module, causing a driver to open and close at a fixed cycle causing either the LH, RH or both indicators to flash.

It could be a failed module (I suspect you should have the same symptoms when activating the hazard switch) or poor contacts in the indicator switch assembly.
You could test the module by unplugging the indicator (combination) switch and connecting either terminal 5 (LB wire) or terminal 6 (RB wire) of the Turn Signal Hazard Module to a good ground with the ignition turned on. This bypasses the LH & RH indicator input signal circuit.
If you get the same symptoms, the fault lies in the module.

If you have the w/shop manual, the wiring diagram is on page 5064.

When the issue occurs, its like it reappears in a set sequence, is that possibly related to opening/closing at a fix cycle?

I’ve had an auto elec look at it, but couldn’t replicate the issue (randomly comes and goes, so frustrating). Surprised a new relay did not help.
specblib06

Postby specblib06 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:51 am

On a side note, when fiddling with the relay, I noticed a wide blue plug was unplugged. This is located on the driver’s side controls behind the dash light controls, underneath three white plugs (right in front of the fuse box).

Anyone know what this is for and why the previous owner might’ve unplugged it?

Can post an image when I’m not on my phone…
specblib06

Postby RX25SE » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:32 am

Tonic wrote:The fact that the problem goes away, albeit temporarily, when you turn the car on and off a few times to me says it is software related. Which means a sensor or relay is malfunctioning I guess. Maybe there is a code to indicate which one.

Ps. I know nothing.

I doubt it would log a code as this is a stand alone module (no serial data connection) as far as I can tell. Pretty much a just like the old 'flasher can'.
RX25SE

Postby RX25SE » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:39 am

specblib06 wrote:On a side note, when fiddling with the relay, I noticed a wide blue plug was unplugged. This is located on the driver’s side controls behind the dash light controls, underneath three white plugs (right in front of the fuse box).

Anyone know what this is for and why the previous owner might’ve unplugged it?

Can post an image when I’m not on my phone…

Pic would be good.

There is a connection to the Body Integrated Unit, at terminal 8 (VB wire) of the Turn Signal Hazard Module that is also the ground input from the hazard switch. That could possibly be used by the BIU to activate the hazard lights when the remote key fob button is pressed. Maybe the fault is in the BIU?

I might need to test my car to figure this out with out any more guessing!
RX25SE

Next

Return to How do I?