For the Obsessive?

Detaling and car washing techniques

Re: For the Obsessive?

Postby teK-- » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Safer to jack up all 4 corners than only one axle in any case since the weight is then evenly suspended.

If you want to clean your rotors/calipers then brake cleaner is the best stuff to use as it leaves no residue.

Make sure wheel hubs and wheel mounting face perfectly clean/dry before refitting wheels. Torque nuts evenly.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Kekotic » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:24 pm

Thanks Jim.

Can it effect the wheel alignment taking off the wheels?
Also any specific brake cleaner you recommend, or just pickup whatever I find at Autobahn?
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby teK-- » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:05 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:Thanks Jim.

Can it effect the wheel alignment taking off the wheels?

Nah.

chaotic2050 wrote:Also any specific brake cleaner you recommend, or just pickup whatever I find at Autobahn?

Any will do I just buy the Nulon it was the cheapest.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Kekotic » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:07 pm

All this talk of cleaning my car, bloody weather better be good or I'll have to sit inside all day :oops:
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby Kekotic » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Woke up a little bit late so by the time I bought another set of jack stands, hydraulic trolley jack, Brake cleaner, 3in1 degreaser, wheel chocks and tyre pressure gauge/foot pump It was already pretty late (3.30pm)

I got the back of the car up and put it on jack stands, took off the right hand wheel and did degreaser and washed down plastic of the wheel hub, then used brake cleaner. Cleaned the billies a bit as well. Looks bloody good but I only had time to do that one wheel as I wanted to do a full wash of the rest of the car, so I have one really good looking wheel arch on the car :lol:

I had to call up PHAT to ask him where to put the trolley jack too because I didn't wanna break anything :oops:
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby Kekotic » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:32 pm

I guess some pics could be good to show you how it went!

I reckon it's worth the effort, next weekend I'll do the other 3 hubs :D

Was also super impressed with this Meguiars Hot wheels cleaner, stuff is bloody dangerous though. The first time I used it was on my rims AFTER I had washed and polished the car, so it was sitting in the garage and I didn't realise you were supposed to wash the cleaner off with water, and I didn't want to dirty my car by overspraying crap on to it from trying to rinse the rim, so I just wiped it off with a rag as best I could, it left a white acid stain on the garage floor :lol:

This time though I had a high pressure washer, brother just bought it today so that made cleaning the car a breeze, and it worked a treat on the inside of the rim as you will see in the pics, but like I said, dangerous. I got some on my hand and I could feel the bubbling of the product, washed it off quickly of course but you can tell it's pretty powerful.

Oh and just a disclaimer, this was before I cleaned the car that's why it looks a bit ordinary :lol: Spent about 6 hours cleaning it today, looks amazing now. Also that Zaino leather cleaner is THE BOMB.
Anyway, pics inc.

Just so you know, I used my cheapo tyre shine spray that I don't use anymore to get it looking really nice and black, but then I wiped it all down so what you see in the pic above is exactly how it looks now after a few hours, that's not water residue or anything making it look so black. Looks pretty neato 8)
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby vp920b » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:39 am

Nice job there Kieran.

Next time read the instruction first(a bit dangerous if you let it dry, like if in wheels, it can come inside your wheel paint/left a spot)

Hot wheels cleaner is one of the best wheel cleaner I'd ever use.

Wait only 10-15 sec then rinse, then the result is magnificent.

Cheers

Naldo
vp920b

Car: 1992 Liberty RS

Postby castek » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:34 am

i only suggested taking them off to make it easier to clean/paint.

I wouldnt paint the tips, just get some autosol onto them and it works wonders, mine looked like mirrors once i had finished them... I've since opted for new mufflers and twin tips. imo, its a good investment

if you decide to paint them, do make sure you get the high temp paint from supercheap (only because they seem to be the cheapest/best)
castek

Car: 2005 Liberty 2.5i Arctic White

Postby Rome_BRZ » Sun May 08, 2011 11:49 am

Hey Keiran just saw this, good work.

What was it that you used on your inner wheel arches? And have you just used rags to cover the springs and the brakes?
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby hamish_023 » Sun May 08, 2011 12:24 pm

As I said in 1st page. 3 in 1 all purpose cleaner and degreaser. It's made by wd40 and in a orange can.
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Previous

Return to Detailing