Detailing thread- Q&A Welcome!

Detaling and car washing techniques

Re: Someone likes Detailing?

Postby adhar » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:55 am

Those wheels are fine, they just didn't come original on your car. At least the tyres will be cheaper than 17s.

btw tyre size should be 205/50/R16 for those wheels
adhar
-stickered-

Car: VE SS-V

Postby vp920b » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:53 pm

Yup, it's not original. I will look the tires, because I'm afraid it's not the original size for 16" wheels. And yes, it's cheaper price for 16" tyres.

I wonder why tires are so damn expensive in Oz. Since in my country(Indonesia), it's almost half off the Oz tires/Wheels price tag..

Oh well...
vp920b

Car: 1992 Liberty RS

Postby Mark^^ » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:01 pm

I don’t mind spending time detailing, and prefer to use good products.

My mother took deliver of a Subaru Liberty 2.5L Sport a few weeks ago. Because I would not let her buy that great deal that all dealers offer on exterior and interior protection I did it myself. I get most of my products from Dave at Waxit as they have a great range and good prices. Last weekend I washed the car and put on a couple of layers for wax and a sealant and it now looks fantastic, as per the photos below.

I started by washing the car with P21s Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo and drying it with Aquatouch Waffle Weave Drying Towels. I always use 2 buckets to ensure the washing wool mitt is clean before it goes back in to the sudsy bucket and then on the car.

I then prepared the paint with Swissvax Cleaner Fluid prior to waxing.

For wax I used Swissvax Onyx Wax (costs $129.00). I put one layer on Saturday afternoon and after buffing let it set over night. Then on Sunday I put on another layer and after buffing left it in the sun for a couple of hours as per the instructions. I then used a coating of Poorboys EX Sealant to bed down the wax..

The interior was cleaned with Meguiar’s Gold Class Dash & Trim Foam Protectant, the windows with a couple of coats of Stoner Invisible Glass.

The wheels were washed and cleaned and waxed then and then put on a couple of layers of Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

I also used Mothers Naturally Black on all the covers under the bonnet.

All up about 8 or so hours over 2 days well spent.

This is how it ended:

Mark^^

Car: MY10 GT Turbo & Ford Territory

Postby vp920b » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:20 pm

Wow, new liberty and using swissvax product. :D

Nice work mate. Really love the jobs.

Do u use rotary or DA? I just bought DA from dave the DAS 6. Haven't receive it yet.

Will try soon on my car. Need to polish and wax again.

I also still wait for my Bilthamber product, collinite 815-476-915.

Give another review after receive.

Btw, what did you use for cleaning the fabric seats? I need to clean my fabric seats.

Cheers.

Naldo
vp920b

Postby Mark^^ » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:34 pm

I use hand power no mechanical devices, they would beyond my skills. Being brand new, I have not had to clean the seats yet and there are not likely to be many messy people in it but may go and get some spray on scotch guard product just to be safe.
Mark^^

Postby vp920b » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:19 pm

What brand would you recommend for fabric cleaner? I know the meguiar's fabric cleaner or carpet cleaner doesn't smell good. I want something that smell good. LOL.

Nice hand polish. Maybe after this you would upgrade to DA or rotary mate. hehe. :D

Cheers
vp920b

Postby Mark^^ » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:43 pm

Dave sells Wolfgang Carpet and Upholstery Restorer for arround $35 and it would do a good job. If you clean your dash with Meguiar’s Gold Class Dash & Trim Foam Protectant it leaves a nice smell in the car. People have often asked me what the perfume is...LOL

I would create to many swirls with a machine, expecially with the dark cars, the new GT turbo I am getting will be the same colour as my mums in Graphite Grey so for me its 'wax on, wax off'..
Mark^^

Postby vp920b » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:25 pm

Why create so many swirls mate? Get a good polish pads and result will be flawless.

Allright mate, I will try later on for fabric cleaner. For interior I just use armor all, got limited money for detailing product. :D
vp920b

Postby teK-- » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:07 pm

The trick with a buffer is to get an random orbital one. Also buy the best pads you can afford, and then use the mildest possible compound to get the job done. I/e. start with the mildest then work your way up before working back down to the mildest to finish off.

Pretend you are buffing an egg, that's how light the pressure should be.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby vp920b » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:39 pm

Random orbital won't help you too much.

Buy a DA minimal or Rotary if you want the result be flawless. DA is the safest for beginners-expert. Rotary is for intermediate to expert.

Random orbital will be take ages to cut the swirls out. Not recommended. Already try once and never go back to that one.

For rotary, best way to do it is practice and practice makes perfect. From one panel to another panel. But actually need both DA or rotary since rotary is the fastest way to cut/compound. For finishing and liquid waxes, best way using DA.

Look around here: www.meguiarsonline.com, you will get as much information as possible for detailing.

Cheers

Naldo
vp920b

Postby vp920b » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:47 pm

Just to share,

Last February, I got my detailing gear from my dad, sent from my hometown, the Backing Plate for rotary and cutting pads+polish pads.

Then I bought Sanding grit from super cheap, 2000 grit. What I want to achieve here is to minimize orange peal and vanish the bird poo. Just try in the boot only. To sanding car, need at least 3 days to finish it.

So, I leave sanding in the water for 1 day, at least 12 hours plus. Don't forget to buy backing plate for the sand. Sanding with bare hand won't cut evenly.

Cut one direction, just up and down. Don't left and right.

And my detailing gear are:
Rockwell Rotary variable speed
Meguiars W7207 Cutting pads
Meguiars W8207 Polish pads
LC orange pads
Meguiars Ultimate Compound
Meguiars Swirl X
Meguiars #9 professional line
M26 yellow wax meguiars
Ultimate quik Wax

Result:

Cheers

Naldo
vp920b

Postby zoidberg99 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:38 pm

Looks good mate, i have a similar concern with swirls and very slight orange peel.

on the weekend i did a clay bar then ran out of time do just put the Meguires quick wax spray. for a spray wax that was spray on, buff off, results were impressive. 20 min and it was done. in a few weeks im going to look at more in depth work as my car spends its nights in the weather so i want to give it a good chance at surviving it!
zoidberg99
-stickered-

Car: 2005 MY06 3.0R-B

Postby vp920b » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:11 pm

Thanks mate.

Btw, after you clay it, make sure you give a pure wax, not just some spray wax, since spray wax only lasts for 1-2 after you wash. Protection that gives, isn't as strong as pure wax. It only contain a bit of wax.

Simple polish if you can:

1. Clay
2. Polish, using cleaner wax or paint cleaner, such as: Meguiars Cleaner wax, P21S Paint cleaner. If you want more deep, like minimizing swirls, can try Meguiars Ultimate compound, Scratch X, Swirl X. One thing, try from the least aggressive product, until the most aggressive product.
3. Wax, will protect the paint from bird etching and etc, such as: Meguiars M26, P21S concours, Collinite, Swissvax, and etc.
4. Spray wax, to give protection above the wax. It's for maintenance after washing your car, such as: Meguiars Ultimate quik detailing, Ultimate Quik wax

Then your car should be shiny as new. :D

Cheers
vp920b

Postby marki » Sun May 02, 2010 7:40 pm

Them rims are horrible! Eww...
marki

Car: 03 MY04 2.5i

Postby vp920b » Wed May 05, 2010 10:58 pm

Which rims are horrible?