Detailing thread- Q&A Welcome!

Detaling and car washing techniques

Re: Detailing thread- Q&A Welcome!

Postby bosc0 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:59 am

You call that white thing a car? :lol:
Claying should help it along, the paint should feel like glass afterwards. Just make sure to kneed the bar all the time and use a clean microfiber cloth to wipe the excess lube off.
bosc0

Car: GT SpecB wagon

Postby augo » Wed May 16, 2012 9:40 pm

Ahh microfibre for the excess lube....thats what I'm doing wrong :P
augo

Car: B-Spec Wagon

Postby hamish_023 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:31 pm

augo wrote:Ahh microfibre for the excess lube....thats what I'm doing wrong :P

Don't skimp out using tissues or paper towels to wipe it up. Do it properly the first time :wink:
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Postby bosc0 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:06 am

hamish_023 wrote:

Don't skimp out using tissues or paper towels to wipe it up. Do it properly the first time :wink:

I find a damp washcloth to be > tissues/paper towel :P
bosc0

Car: GT SpecB wagon

Postby augo » Fri May 18, 2012 8:10 pm

bosc0 wrote:
hamish_023 wrote:

I find a damp washcloth to be > tissues/paper towel :P

What about that old t-shirt next to my bed?... :?
augo

Car: B-Spec Wagon

Postby chanham » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:31 pm

autoglym - ive used the super resin polish on removing scracthes, turned out great!

is the rest of their line (leather cleaner, etc) pretty good stuff?
chanham
formerly ciand06

Car: Subaru Liberty 3.0R 2004
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18831

Postby owen1r » Mon May 27, 2013 9:02 pm

Just finished giving my car a good clean and wax.

I used the meguiars paint restoration kit. So I washed, clay bar'd, polished and waxed.

The paint is much shinier but it still has large amounts of swirl marks, how can I go about removing these?
owen1r

Car: 99 Liberty RX

Postby Tim_ » Wed May 29, 2013 11:27 am

ciand06 wrote:autoglym ...is the rest of their line (leather cleaner, etc) pretty good stuff?

I have only used the bodywork shampoo and conditioner and although i don't have much to compare to i find it really good.

owen1r wrote:Just finished giving my car a good clean and wax.

I used the meguiars paint restoration kit. So I washed, clay bar'd, polished and waxed.

The paint is much shinier but it still has large amounts of swirl marks, how can I go about removing these?

Im no pro detailer but i would suggest meguiars ultimate compound, might take a while if your doing it by hand though.

That (and maybe Meg's swirl x) and some polish should get rid of swirling.

Someone with a bit more detailing knowledge should be able to chime in and verify this or recommend better stuff.
Tim_

Car: my06 liberty 3.0r
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17247

Postby dle » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:03 pm

Tim_ wrote:
ciand06 wrote:autoglym ...is the rest of their line (leather cleaner, etc) pretty good stuff?

I have only used the bodywork shampoo and conditioner and although i don't have much to compare to i find it really good.

owen1r wrote:Just finished giving my car a good clean and wax.

Im no pro detailer but i would suggest meguiars ultimate compound, might take a while if your doing it by hand though.

That (and maybe Meg's swirl x) and some polish should get rid of swirling.

Someone with a bit more detailing knowledge should be able to chime in and verify this or recommend better stuff.

The Meguairs Paint Restoration Kit would've come with Ultimate Compound in the kit. From what I've experienced, it is a temporary fix to the problem and usually has filling agents in it. This will fill in ultra fine scratches and swirls and give the illusion of being polished. Product definitely works as advertised however its quite misleading to the average enthusiast.

If you are looking for a permanent finish, you will need to use cutting compounds that will remove the layer of clear coat that has been damaged. Once the paint has been corrected you will need to protect it with a natural wax or sythetic sealant and use proper washing techniques
dle

Car: MY05 Lib GT

Postby owen1r » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:57 am

dle wrote:
The Meguairs Paint Restoration Kit would've come with Ultimate Compound in the kit. From what I've experienced, it is a temporary fix to the problem and usually has filling agents in it. This will fill in ultra fine scratches and swirls and give the illusion of being polished. Product definitely works as advertised however its quite misleading to the average enthusiast.

If you are looking for a permanent finish, you will need to use cutting compounds that will remove the layer of clear coat that has been damaged. Once the paint has been corrected you will need to protect it with a natural wax or sythetic sealant and use proper washing techniques

I would love a more permanent finish, it does back to looking bad after a few weeks.

Is it possible to achieve a good finish by polishing by hand? Also, is it an issue that I may take off too much clear coat?

Any recommendation on products that are not too expensive?

Cheers.
owen1r

Postby dle » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:16 pm

Probably won't get the desired finish if polishing by hand. A machine will rotate at 1000's of revolutions per minute so trying to replicate that by hand would be a huge task.

Just get a glaze with filling characteristics, maybe Poor Boys black hole glaze (for dark cars) or white diamond (for light cars)

And a sealant on top. Poor Boys recommend using their World EX sealant if using their glaze. Otherwise look at some sort of Glass Coating but ideally you would want paint correction as it is semi-permanent.

Hope this helps.
dle

Car: MY05 Lib GT

Postby jakey » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:55 pm

Exhaust Cleaning / Polishing -

So Autosol is the go according to this thread- is there any tips to applying it / doing it properly?

I have read on other sites that it can leave a brown stain - has anyone heard of this?

Also Chrome strip on side skirt - would I use Autosol as well or something else? (I think it's plastic?)
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

Postby chris12 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:34 pm

I dont think I'd go with Autosol on the chrome sideskirt part if it's plastic. I wouldn't risk it.

On the exhaust, it's fine. I use it on my tips. Haven't had any browning or anything like that. Applying it is very easy, you can't really muck it up. I just use an old face washer and rub it on to the tip. You dont need to use a huge amount. Sometimes, if you haven't done it for a while, it can take a fair bit of rubbing to get it to start shining.
chris12

Car: VW Golf GTI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24279

Postby jakey » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:41 pm

chris12 wrote:I dont think I'd go with Autosol on the chrome sideskirt part if it's plastic. I wouldn't risk it.

my thoughts exactly - any input on this for other products? It's showing a lot of blemishes , I can post photos later
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

Postby owen1r » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:25 pm

Got my hands on a dual action polisher, would some 105 with multiple passes finished off with 205 be suitable. I have lots of swirls and some deeper scrathes but nothing too serious.

Also would touching up my paint chipa properly then sanding them back before polishing my car be a good idea?

Cheers
owen1r

PreviousNext

Return to Detailing