Stupid Rain

Detaling and car washing techniques

Re: Stupid Rain

Postby liberty_dc » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:42 pm

Are the All-in-one Shampoo and Conditioner solution any good to maintain the car clean? Would anyone have any idea?
liberty_dc

Postby Resonate » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:57 pm

liberty_dc wrote:Are the All-in-one Shampoo and Conditioner solution any good to maintain the car clean? Would anyone have any idea?

Are you referring to leather or paint?

With regards to leather, just try out the different products out there and see what you prefer. I have been through a whole range of leather conditioners but settled on zaino z10.

With regards to paint, it really depends on how much of a perfectionist you are with your detailing. If you really don't care too much about the condition of the paint and just want to get rid of the dirt on the car then yes. Any shampoo product out there will do the job. In fact I have friends who just use a chux cloth and a hose to clean their cars with no solution at all. But in saying that, subaru paint is extremely thin compared to other cars and if you don't take a lot of care, swirl marks will be quite evident in due time, especially on a darker car. You will find that the more expensive products will tell you exactly how much solution you need per gallon of water and in the end, require A Lot less solution to give you a much better overall result. Which you choose is a personal preference as they all end up doing the same thing. I personally like the Poorboys or P21s shampoos.

Be weary of the all in one products. There is no such thing as an all in one in the detailing world, it is simply a marketing ploy. Shampoo's are purely designed to assist in removing the dirt from the car, nothing more.
Resonate

Car: MY07 GT-B (Diamond Grey)

Postby teK-- » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:06 pm

I just got back from Thailand and it is still raining here, damn. It's been about 4 weeks since I applied the Dodo Red Mist quick detailer and after having parked my car for 2 weeks in the open, the paint still feels reasonably slick.

Just waiting for a good day to do the full clay/resin/optiseal treatment.

One of the things I was most impressed by is that despite all the pollution and vehicle traffic in Bangkok, that >90% of the cars are kept very clean almost immaculate condition. Taxi drivers take lots of pride in their cars which are commonly fully optioned and some with crazy body kits etc.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Digital » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:14 pm

This is one of the things i noticed while i was in Japan as well... taxis are immaculate and it is not an uncommon site to see them standing around polishing their cars while they wait for customers. i rode in a 80s toyota crown it must've been that looked like it just came out of the factory!
MY08 2.5i - Satin Pearl White - Sat Nav [TEAM WHITE]
Digital
-stickered-

Car: MY08 2.5i Sedan - TEAM WHITE
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5767&start=0

Postby teK-- » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:33 pm

OK I finally have had a chance to properly clean the Subie and use the Super Resin polish + the Optiseal. Car looks fantastic!

I didn't have time today to do the claybar, but on surfaces that haven't been weathered and the paint is still smooth, it feels like glass just after using these two products.

The Super Resin is the easiest product I have ever used by far; there is no elbow breaking buffing once the stuff is on. It just wipes right off with one sweep of the cloth once it's dried. Also no more ugly white residue stuck in trims etc, it just comes right off even once dry. Comes straight off glass too if you go too far. I will never go back to Meguiars, Eagle, or Turtlewax or any other product again.

Optiseal is just as easy to put on (does not require buffing off). I did the whole car and the liquid level in the bottle dropped less than 5ml. I could easily do 15 cars with one bottle so it works out to around $4.00 per application which is supposed to last 2+ months. It does a great job on plastic trims too; similar effect to Mothers Back to Black and other treatments. (didn't do much to rubber though).

Can't wait for the next downpour of rain to see some sweet beading :D
Attachments
tekclean.jpg
tekclean.jpg (77.25 KiB) Viewed 4098 times
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Digital » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:09 am

nice work mate! :wink: my car is filthy atm but no time to clean! so annoyed!
Digital
-stickered-

Postby Digital » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:47 pm

sorry to bring up an old thread, has anyone had experience using kitten no.1 wax? i just used it and didnt realise it had Carnauba wax... and man this stuff was tough to buff off......... i think i broke my back just now....

but my car is nice and shiny now! but looks like it'll rain soon!! :x
Digital
-stickered-

Postby teK-- » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:58 pm

Haven't used that particular product but I'd have to agree that any carnauba wax should really be machine buffed unless you wanna have sore arms shoulders hands for the next 4 days :P. I have found that regular users of carnauba are pretty much purists nowadays.
teK--
-stickered-

Postby jdm rsk » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:41 pm

Digital wrote:This is one of the things i noticed while i was in Japan as well... taxis are immaculate and it is not an uncommon site to see them standing around polishing their cars while they wait for customers. i rode in a 80s toyota crown it must've been that looked like it just came out of the factory!

probably because it did. they use a car called a toyota town car it is a taxi of the production line...
jdm rsk
formerly legacy rsk

Car: MY 11 VW Golf GTI ED35

Postby Digital » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:15 am

tek, i dont think i was supposed to let it dry so much, so maybe next time i'll try to buff it straight off...having said that, the stuff goes on really thick.......... so yeah might have to think about machine buffing it next time.......... :(

shane, yeah nah i saw them, but the one i rode in was really a toyota from the 80s! the guy ripped me off too hahaha 2 min ride cost me $20 AUD... but no choice as it was really late and needed to get from station to the hotel on our first night there
Digital
-stickered-

Postby teK-- » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:10 am

Hand buffing carnauba wax makes it much more important to not do areas larger than about 50cmx50cm at a time :) It ends up taking much longer if you try to cover a whole panel at once.
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Kekotic » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:17 pm

Bumping this thread.

Has anything changed in the last year or so in terms of newer products etc?
I wouldn't mind following your cleaning regime from this thread Jim if you still do it the same, by the way do you do a proper machine polish or just hand, I wouldn't want to do any machine polishing as I don't have any practise with it.

So to get my car's paint in good nick again I want to do a full 1 day clean of it and do basically everything possible, so how does this sound?

1. High pressure hose
2. hand wash with good quality wool mit / micro fibre washing cloth. Also what is a good washing product to use?
3. Dry with chamois? Chamois still okay or does everyone use micro fibre cloths for it now? I have like 30 of the damn things
4. Clay bar with quick detailer
6. Autoglym super resin polish, also need to buy applicator pads, what brand is good for this?
5. Wax. Is it okay to wax after polish, also what's a good quality brand (preferably not the $15000 a tub stuff that this guy uses http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZdf0U2odtw thanks)
7. Optiseal if it's still available.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby teK-- » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:49 pm

There are always new products coming onto the scene, but there was nothing revolutionary in the past year that I am aware of.

(I still follow the same process as a much earlier post in this thread). All hand buffing since the products I use don't take out swirls nor do they dry very hazy.

2. Any car shampoo which is wax/sealant proof. Don't use any non-car cleaners as they will probably strip off that coating.
3. Personally I don't use anything to wipe or buff the car which doesn't have a texture or pile in it. It would otherwise drag dirt around. So chamois are out, microfibre cloths are in.
6. I use the Meguiars ones simply because they work and aren't expensive $5 for 2. I keep spares in case I drop one on the ground in the middle of a cleaning session.
5. Polish then wax, that is the correct order. Despite the name, Autoglym Super Resin Polish is a very mild polish *and* polymer sealant in one product.
7. I still use it to the day. Regular use and over a year I've hardly used 1/3 of the bottle.

chaotic2050 wrote:Bumping this thread.

I wouldn't mind following your cleaning regime from this thread Jim if you still do it the same, by the way do you do a proper machine polish or just hand, I wouldn't want to do any machine polishing as I don't have any practise with it.

So to get my car's paint in good nick again I want to do a full 1 day clean of it and do basically everything possible, so how does this sound?

1. High pressure hose
2. hand wash with good quality wool mit / micro fibre washing cloth. Also what is a good washing product to use?
3. Dry with chamois? Chamois still okay or does everyone use micro fibre cloths for it now? I have like 30 of the damn things
6. Autoglym super resin polish, also need to buy applicator pads, what brand is good for this?
5. Wax. Is it okay to wax after polish, also what's a good quality brand (preferably not the $15000 a tub stuff that this guy uses http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZdf0U2odtw thanks)
teK--
-stickered-

Postby vp920b » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:33 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:Bumping this thread.

1. High pressure hose

You can come to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7628

Maybe if you want polish/detailing, you can PM me.

Cheers.

Naldo
vp920b

Car: 1992 Liberty RS

Previous

Return to Detailing