CQuartz UK applied

Detaling and car washing techniques

CQuartz UK applied

Postby muzza » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:13 pm

Hey all.
Just thought I'd do a post about the latest to hit the White Wag.

I've used Wolf's Hard Body for a couple of years prior, durability was about 6-9 months, so OK but not amazing. It was easy to apply and glossed up nicely.

So, hunting a bit more durability I bought a CQuartz UK edition 50ml kit, $100 from Waxit.
Preparation was a thorough no-wax wash for starters.
Followed by a chamois dry in garage (where the car has remained for 24 hours).
Next was a fine polish with a Concours DAS 908 and Scholl S30 nano polish.
Paint clean was final preparation using Carpro Eraser as the last stage before application.

Using the supplied foam block with suede applicator pads (6 of) was a bit painful. It was a warm day in Melbourne and the CQuartz coating flashed to sticky pretty quick so the block dragged a lot, and was hard to keep a grip on whilst coating a panel.
Buffed each section using the supplied suede towel, occasionally it was a bit streaky, but leaving it longer to flash and going a second buff seemed to overcome this.

At 6 hours after starting the wash, I was ready to mist each panel (1 hour after Cquartz application) with the supplied Carpro Reload, buffed with a MF towel. Reload is to protect the finish if it gets wet within 24 hrs apparently.

So 24 hours later the coating had "set" and it produced a smooth glossy wax-like effect. Looks great!

Last optional stage today for me was to remove, thoroughly clean and coat the wheels, 4 hours later...job done.

Used approx 25ml of the Cquartz, so enough left for the wife's car...! :shock:

I don't for one second believe all the crap that this is a "ceramic" or "glass" finish with all that implies (scratch resistance? :roll: ) All the advertising BS and marketing flogs this pretty hard with terms like "pure SIO2 etc but it's simply not true. Sure, silicon dioxide is sand but the silioxanes they are actually talking about are silicone-hydrocarbon molecules, NOT simple SiO2 at all.
It's certainly a version of an amino functional PDMS (Poly DiMethyl Siloxane), AKA "silicones" and actual siloxane, coatings that are pretty "thick" and set or cross link (using the amino functional groups) in the 24 hours after application.

Certainly it looks good, beads water nicely (110 degree contact angle BS...) but the proof is in the pudding as they say. The durability is what counts - looking good for years post application is the claim.

I'll update as I go to see if it's as good as they say and better than the Wolfs HB I have previously used.

The Cquartz seems to work well on the black door pillar parts as well as any other plastic parts as well.
Imageimage by Murray, on Flickr
Last edited by muzza on Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:37 am, edited 6 times in total.
Muzza
MY13 GT wagon auto - SOLD.
MY19 Golf R wagon current
muzza

Car: MY19 Golf R wagon

Re: CQuartz UK applied

Postby jslayz » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:23 pm

Interested to hear how she goes
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby muzza » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:14 am

Seems to be still going strong, though not as slick as when first applied, it still beads well when clean. Just using a pure car wash (no wax) brings it back to clean and glossy, showing the paint is still smooth with nice depth to it.
I have noticed water marks clinging to the surface after washing, but not noticeable once dry, just when wiping dry.
Still easy to clean, I guess I should reapply the Carpro Reload sometime.
Muzza
muzza

Postby muzza » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:25 pm

OK - I reckon in the last month it has started to fail on the roof and bonnet and tops of the doors shoulders.

Bear in mind my car lives outside 24/7 and the watermarks (flat sticky drop areas) have been forming where the silicone layer has broken down.

All side surfaces seem pretty well OK at this point.

So currently cleaning with Bowdens Own wash/wax (which is a great product). Have given the roof and bonnet a quick once over with Megs Ultimate liquid wax to keep it slick whilst I contemplate the next finish.

Car still looks great, but that's the benefit of fine polish and careful washing as well as the wax.

So not quite a year for the CQuartz UK edition when outside 24/7 and regularly wash-waxed every 2-3 weeks.
Muzza
muzza

Postby Libzy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:25 pm

good to know about that
Libzy

Return to Detailing