Baking soda for hard water stains on glass

Detaling and car washing techniques

Baking soda for hard water stains on glass

Postby nytrojen » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:56 pm

Has anyone tried it? https://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070820185606AAbWLZd

I'm just worried about accidentally splashing vinegar/baking soda onto the paintwork and causing damage to it. My car has REALLY bad water stains on it (honestly NONE of my other cars have had it - the previous owners of this car were in NSW though - maybe VIC water is just better?) and I only realised over the weekend when I finally had a chance to give it a proper detail. Of course the water stains didn't come off with the glass cleaner no matter how much i tried cleaning it -_-
nytrojen
-stickered-

Re: Baking soda for hard water stains on glass

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:59 pm

nytrojen wrote:Has anyone tried it? https://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070820185606AAbWLZd

I'm just worried about accidentally splashing vinegar/baking soda onto the paintwork and causing damage to it. My car has REALLY bad water stains on it (honestly NONE of my other cars have had it - the previous owners of this car were in NSW though - maybe VIC water is just better?) and I only realised over the weekend when I finally had a chance to give it a proper detail. Of course the water stains didn't come off with the glass cleaner no matter how much i tried cleaning it -_-

They probably used bore water, my inlaws use it too :(

I normally use 20% hydrochrolic acid to 80% water mix with steel wool, just wash the acid off thoroughly
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby nytrojen » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:02 pm

Does the steel wool not scratch the glass? I suppose the glass is fairly hard...i'm just afraid of cocking things up. Maybe I'll try with vinegar and water/cloth first and then work my way up?
nytrojen
-stickered-

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:05 pm

I dont think vinegar is harmful to the paint. My spraypainter actually recommended that I add some vinegar to my water when washing the car due to the limestone in the water here
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby nytrojen » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:07 pm

Brunsy3.0 wrote:I dont think vinegar is harmful to the paint. My spraypainter actually recommended that I add some vinegar to my water when washing the car due to the limestone in the water here

Hmm I thought the acidity might eat through the clearcoat? Maybe your water is heavily alkaline or something? Might help to balance it out in your case. I'll give it a go... at least I managed to wax the car on the weekend so if anything the worst that'll happen is i'll need to rewax it.
nytrojen
-stickered-

Postby bass_straitener » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:55 pm

Just use Autoglym's glass polish.

I used it on my lib and it did a great job.

20% off at Repco this month with your racv card.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby GT08 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:50 am

bass_straitener wrote:Just use Autoglym's glass polish.

I used it on my lib and it did a great job.

20% off at Repco this month with your racv card.

As Bruce said also I've seen people buff windscreens?
GT08

Postby <GB> » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:07 am

ive paid a guy to polish glass for work cars, seems to come up ok, I do worry about small scratches though
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby nytrojen » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:21 pm

Well the baking soda/vinegar did nothing except create a mess. I tried the Autoglym glass polish next and it got rid of the majority of the stains, but there are still outlines etched into the glass - I think I might have to get it professionally polished out. I spent 2 whole hours getting rid of as much staining as possible, it was just horrid! You could feel the gunk coming off but it took serious elbow grease. Feels a million times better now - a lot smoother compared to how rough it was before, but the etch marks are still there. Grrr
nytrojen
-stickered-

Postby bass_straitener » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:18 pm

nytrojen wrote:Well the baking soda/vinegar did nothing except create a mess. I tried the Autoglym glass polish next and it got rid of the majority of the stains, but there are still outlines etched into the glass - I think I might have to get it professionally polished out. I spent 2 whole hours getting rid of as much staining as possible, it was just horrid! You could feel the gunk coming off but it took serious elbow grease. Feels a million times better now - a lot smoother compared to how rough it was before, but the etch marks are still there. Grrr

I used a DA polisher with the Autoglym polish and it all the marks came out.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Postby nytrojen » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:58 pm

bass_straitener wrote:
nytrojen wrote:Well the baking soda/vinegar did nothing except create a mess. I tried the Autoglym glass polish next and it got rid of the majority of the stains, but there are still outlines etched into the glass - I think I might have to get it professionally polished out. I spent 2 whole hours getting rid of as much staining as possible, it was just horrid! You could feel the gunk coming off but it took serious elbow grease. Feels a million times better now - a lot smoother compared to how rough it was before, but the etch marks are still there. Grrr

I used a DA polisher with the Autoglym polish and it all the marks came out.

Totally going to sound like a newbie now: what's a DA polisher?
nytrojen
-stickered-

Postby bass_straitener » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:00 am

DA = Dual Action

Less chance of swirls appearing.

Something from the DAS6 range would be suitable.

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/products/all_brands/car_accessories/buffing_machines?page=1
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Postby psy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:24 am

I've used Zaino glass polish & a wool? pad with some success.
2016 Subaru Forester XT Premium
psy
-stickered-

Car: 2016 Forester XT Premium

Postby subyroo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:16 pm

We just bought some Spot-X Hard Water Stain & Spot Remover from Bunnings to remove the same thing from our shower screen.
I will report back after the "cleaner" (wife) gives it a try.
Pedro

2021 Honda HR-V VTi-S
MY03 XS Forester (owned for 13yrs.)
Man blames fate for other accidents but feels personally responsible for a hole in one.
subyroo

Car: 2021 Honda HRV VTi-S

Postby SegR » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:45 am

subyroo wrote:We just bought some Spot-X Hard Water Stain & Spot Remover from Bunnings to remove the same thing from our shower screen.
I will report back after the "cleaner" (wife) gives it a try.

Please do!
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Next

Return to Detailing