First ever Paint Detail. Multiple wax layers possible?

Detaling and car washing techniques

First ever Paint Detail. Multiple wax layers possible?

Postby Chez » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:34 am

Hello to all on this awesome forum.
I have been reading everything i can for about 3 months now and purchased a Silver My08 Liberty Premium 3.0R 1 month ago.

Yesterday was detail day and i have some questions. First ill let u know what i did.

I washed the car, then Clay Barred the whole thing for around 4.5 hours (never done this before) think maybe i went a little overboard as the paint has been fairly well kept but more is always good right? :D
I then waxed it with Mequires Gold Class Carnuba Plus Liquid Wax, Then Applied Ultimate Quick Detailer over the wax. I had no idea of the processes of Claying/Waxing a car before reading these forums so i hope ive done it right :wink:

Although it was dark about halfway through the Carnuba Waxing process and i didnt have great light. Im Impressed with the results this morning but my question is.
Can i now do multiple layers of Wax?
As in can i give the car a light wash this morning (To remove dust ect that has landed overnight, cause its very windy here atm)
Then apply another layer of Carnuba Wax and then the Ultimate Quick detailer? Or is this not a normal thing to do? Also would it be a problem applying the Carnuba over the Ultimate Quick Detailer i applied last night?

I want to get maximum protection as i work on the beach and my car is parked in salt spray for 8-10 hours 5 days a week. I watched the affect of this on my old Impreza GX 96 Model as it basically rusted out on me and i recently sent it to scrap (engine was good but not much else)

All replies are greatly appreciated and the help i have recieved by just reading this forum has been enormous. Thanks again peoples. :D
Chez

Re: First ever Paint Detail. Multiple wax layers possible?

Postby Kekotic » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:42 am

Multi layer a sealant would last longer and protect the paint better.

Also did you actually polish? You only mentioned clay barring. Supposed to polish after a clay bar because the idea of the clay is to remove contaminants so you can polish evenly. Also claying can mar the paint more depending on how you do it.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby Chez » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:52 am

Thanks for the reply Kekotik.

You have me worried a little as the answer is no. I did not polish after the clay bar.

I did go through a whole bottle of The Meguires Quick detailer (mist and wipe) that came with the clay kit as lubricant and buffed it of well with a high quality microfibre but i guess thats not actually polishing,
what product should i have used after the clay as im still very vauge on what products actually are?
I guess ill have to clay again at some point and actually polish this time. Thanks for that.

Next questiuon is you mention now doing multiple layers of Sealant and not wax. What is a good sealant that can be purchased from SCA? (i get a little mixed up at all these references to products and what they actually do) If you could tell me what the meguires sealant is called that would be a big help as it seems my local SCA mainly sell Meguires. Is the Ultimate Quick Detailer classified as a Sealant?

How detrimental can it be that i didnt actually polish? Im hoping not to much.

Thanks again for you advice.
Chez

Postby Kekotic » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:50 am

Chez wrote:How detrimental can it be that i didnt actually polish? Im hoping not to much.

Thanks again for you advice.

Not bad at all. Just do it next time. It's just you might notice a lot of fine scratches / swirls because you didn't actually polish the paint at all.

As for sealants, if possible try buy online from places like carcareproducts or Waxit. I recommend Mezerna Powerlock USA for a beginner sealant.
Ultimate quick detailer is not classified as a sealant, it basically just provides a small layer of wax to go over the top of your proper sealant/wax to make that last longer. That's why you should use a spray wax (recommend after every wash) such as Optimum spray wax.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby Chez » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Cheers mate, You have pointed me in the right direction. :D
Chez

Return to Detailing